Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 09:30 PM

181 posts, read 464,493 times

Advertisements

ahh, ok thx for the info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 01:36 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,937,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam& Bill View Post
I lived in Dandridge for a year. Dandridge is a wonderful small town, very scenic and JMT is right about Dandridge's downtown. I hadn't any problems living in Dandridge.
The thing Bill and I got tired of is the choice of places to eat out was very limited. We were constantly running back to Knoxville for medical appointments and shopping at Sam's. Anyone we came in contact with that worked in the area, were very friendly and nice.Especially the guys that worked at the local garage next to the Agway. They helped us out many times and we were never overcharged or given bad information. They are a great bunch of sincere, honest guys.
Dandridge is far enough away fron Pigeon Forge where you don't have all the tourists traffic, yet it is close enough to be accessible whenever you feel the need to hop over there to play tourist for an afternoon.
The only thing the area doesn't have is a large hospital. If you have any serious heart problems, you are shipped to Knoxville as they aren't equipped to handle that there, but Bill always received excellent medical care there.
There isn't anything else negative we found living in Dandridge, and really my negatives are only negative to us and our lifestyle. Living is easy and quiet there and no rushing around, overall we liked the area very much.
All the best to you on your search,
Pam
Thanks Pam & everyone that responded. So really other then food, everything else would need to be done in Knoxville. Other then a few places in Jefferson City. How far is Jefferson City from Dandridge? For places to eat sounds like it would definately be Knoxville! Is that how it is with most of the small towns in the Knoxville area, not much there, need to go to big town? Any opinions on New Market, White Pine, Baneberry? Are they all fairly the same as Dandridge?

Old 11-06-2009, 02:30 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bufford View Post
Thanks Pam & everyone that responded. So really other then food, everything else would need to be done in Knoxville. Other then a few places in Jefferson City. How far is Jefferson City from Dandridge? For places to eat sounds like it would definately be Knoxville! Is that how it is with most of the small towns in the Knoxville area, not much there, need to go to big town? Any opinions on New Market, White Pine, Baneberry? Are they all fairly the same as Dandridge?
There are also lots of small towns around Knoxville. And Knoxville itself does not feel "big city." You can live in Knoxville and feel like you are out in the country. I'm in the city limits, have a half acre, and feel like I live in a "Leave it to Beaver" neighborhood.

A lot of people are surprised that you don't have to go far to be in the country. Ten minutes out of Knoxville it is VERY rural. I'm a very-small-town girl and I was shocked that it is so different here.

You might want to come and take a look. It's very affordable here.

Also, are you going to be looking for a job? We live in Knoxville because that's where the jobs were. I have a friend that lives in Jefferson City and has to hoof it back and forth every day. It's a big gasoline bill and it is very hard on her.

But don't get me wrong, Jefferson City and Dandridge are great choices, too. I just want to give you the whole picture so you can make an informed decision.

Old 11-06-2009, 04:29 PM

374 posts, read 945,142 times
Default I totally agree

with Hik. I drove from just inside the (north side) city limits of Pigeon Forge to downtown Knoxville and it gets really old - fast. If jobs are a concern, stay close to Knoxville.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
There are also lots of small towns around Knoxville. And Knoxville itself does not feel "big city." You can live in Knoxville and feel like you are out in the country. I'm in the city limits, have a half acre, and feel like I live in a "Leave it to Beaver" neighborhood.

A lot of people are surprised that you don't have to go far to be in the country. Ten minutes out of Knoxville it is VERY rural. I'm a very-small-town girl and I was shocked that it is so different here.

Also, are you going to be looking for a job? We live in Knoxville because that's where the jobs were. I have a friend that lives in Jefferson City and has to hoof it back and forth every day. It's a big gasoline bill and it is very hard on her.

But don't get me wrong, Jefferson City and Dandridge are great choices, too. I just want to give you the whole picture so you can make an informed decision.

Old 11-06-2009, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post

Are you on the east side of Knoxville? We would like to buy land within 6 months & it seems everything I have seen is fairly far out. We do need to work, so I really don't want to be too far out. From my research it appears that east has more rolling hills & mountain views, which I like. Maybe I'll start researching closer to Knox. Thanks for the input.

Old 11-06-2009, 06:09 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bufford View Post
Are you on the east side of Knoxville? We would like to buy land within 6 months & it seems everything I have seen is fairly far out. We do need to work, so I really don't want to be too far out. From my research it appears that east has more rolling hills & mountain views, which I like. Maybe I'll start researching closer to Knox. Thanks for the input.
I'm in north Knoxville. Fountain City. I'm fairly close to the county line. I live right on top of a hill. My area is not flat. It's pretty hilly. Some of Knoxville can be a bit flat but it has a few ridges.

I used to rent in north Knox County. It was very rural, yet I was probably 12 minutes to downtown Knoxville and one minute to I-75. I was in a holler, with Bull Run Ridge and Flint Ridge on either side of me. When I would drive home I would come over Bull Run Ridge and get a gorgeous glimpse of the start of The Cumberlands.

East Knox County has some beautiful land, and it is not too far to The Smokys. There's Luttrell, too, which will give you views of Clinch and House Mountain. Very beautiful!

Also, there is acreage in Knox County. Probably more than you would think.

There's also south of Knoxville, such as Seymour and Blount County.

Old 11-07-2009, 07:27 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,580,635 times
What kind of work will you be looking for? You might research the companies most likely to hire you. Eastbridge & Forks of the river are industrial parks that have beautiful farmland nearby.

Old 11-09-2009, 03:10 PM

10 posts, read 40,076 times
I'd like to hop on here too. I am moving there in a couple months. I'm looking for the best place to rent.

I have property outside Dandridge in White Pine, but am not ready to build yet.

Old 11-09-2009, 05:15 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,347,702 times
Jefferson City is about 20 miles or so from Dandridge. It only takes 15-20 minutes to get there. Jefferson City has more then Dandrige in terms of choice for fast food.
OP, you won't have to go to Knoxville for everything from Dandridge. Pigeon Forge has many restaurants and tons of shopping at the outlet malls. It really depends on what you want near by and how far is too far to travel for shopping other then groceries.
Pam

Old 11-09-2009, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
What kind of work will you be looking for? You might research the companies most likely to hire you. Eastbridge & Forks of the river are industrial parks that have beautiful farmland nearby.
I'm in the medical field(clerical) & my husband is a forklift driver. Where is the area you are referring to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville