U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-13-2009, 05:27 PM

290 posts, read 430,247 times
Default American Homes

Is anyone familiar with the modular "American Homes" or know anyone that lives in one? We toured one here in Illinois where we live and they are nice! They have a factory in Rutherfordton NC. There are two builders in Tennessee for these homes Golden Age Building Systems in Knoxville and Hamrick Construction in Pigeon Forge. Anyone familiar with these two builders? Just another option for us if we don't fall into the perfect home in the perfect place!

Also while we're considering all our options to move to Knoxville area, what is the best way to find land? I know individuals sell land and we might find something more reasonable from a individual rather than a real estate agency. Are there any issues we should watch for? We think it would be better to find property that can have city water and sewer than having to drill a well and put in a septic. Been there done that in our current home we built in 1991.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 10:10 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,017,174 times
West Knoxville , just past the Dixie Lee junction, has a subd with exactly what you described. Prices range in low 200, and usually have on site agents. Land is worth what the seller and buyers will agree on, whether its thru the individual or even if its listed with an agent. You will need to know what the comps are, especially if your buying, so good luck.

Old 11-16-2009, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanbob View Post
West Knoxville , just past the Dixie Lee junction, has a subd with exactly what you described. .
Do you know if they are the "All American" homes? I know there is a ton of modular homes out there and my hubby and I did walk through a couple over there in West Knox somewhere in a subdivision called StoneBrooke or something like that in July when we were down there, but I don't think they were that brand. They might have told us but I forgot.

If we check more into this type of home we would put it on land that we purchased not in a subdivision that is already developed and have homes on it. We're not really into the houses in your face thing. That is why I was wondering about the land over there.

Old 12-24-2009, 04:29 PM

21 posts, read 30,014 times
Default I have one

I live in one in Newport (Cocke County), which is about 45 min east of Knox. The house itself is well built and much less cost than site (stick) built. You can design pretty much whatever you want. In our case, we have a 3/2 with 1900 finished. We had the house set on a basement foundation and had the basement fully finished for my Mother-in-law, plus a separate 24'x34' garage. The basement and garage are done by the finishing contractor. We liked knowing the total cost. Builders give you 'allowances' for counters, flooring, appliances, etc, then you get tagged in the end with paying MUCH more because they low-ball the costs. The finished product does not look any different than a site built home. People visit and tell me that they cannot believe that the house was built in a factory. Also, be sure there are no deed restrictions on Mods where you build.

Our only issue was the contractor who did everything after the house was set. He turned out not to be what he said he was. Got in over his head, was using money from one job to work on another, etc.. Check out your finish contractor Completely so you get quality work. You have a one year warranty, and the factory is good on responding to service issues. All American is owned by Coachman Motor Homes in Ohio.

A suggestion (from our experience), get the flooring tile/carpeting done AFTER delivery. It can get damaged during the finishing work and you have to get a service call In addition, make sure the sub-floor doesn't have a creaks and is tight. We have one part that the dresser rattles when you walk by it. Will be fixed in near future. Painting as well - The house will get some stress cracks in the walls from transporting and settling - again, why have to do it again.

I know its been months since the original post, so if this info won't help you now, it may help someone else who may be wondering.

Old 12-24-2009, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired in TN View Post
I live in one in Newport (Cocke County), which is about 45 min east of Knox. The house itself is well built and much less cost than site (stick) built. You can design pretty much whatever you want. In our case, we have a 3/2 with 1900 finished. We had the house set on a basement foundation and had the basement fully finished for my Mother-in-law, plus a separate 24'x34' garage. The basement and garage are done by the finishing contractor. We liked knowing the total cost. Builders give you 'allowances' for counters, flooring, appliances, etc, then you get tagged in the end with paying MUCH more because they low-ball the costs. The finished product does not look any different than a site built home. People visit and tell me that they cannot believe that the house was built in a factory. Also, be sure there are no deed restrictions on Mods where you build.

Our only issue was the contractor who did everything after the house was set. He turned out not to be what he said he was. Got in over his head, was using money from one job to work on another, etc.. Check out your finish contractor Completely so you get quality work. You have a one year warranty, and the factory is good on responding to service issues. All American is owned by Coachman Motor Homes in Ohio.

A suggestion (from our experience), get the flooring tile/carpeting done AFTER delivery. It can get damaged during the finishing work and you have to get a service call In addition, make sure the sub-floor doesn't have a creaks and is tight. We have one part that the dresser rattles when you walk by it. Will be fixed in near future. Painting as well - The house will get some stress cracks in the walls from transporting and settling - again, why have to do it again.

I know its been months since the original post, so if this info won't help you now, it may help someone else who may be wondering.
Thank you for your reply! I think your the first person that I've come across that actually lives in one of these particular homes. I did a walk through of one about 45 minutes south of me, and it was a very nice home! Lots of options available too. Your suggestions based on your experience make sense and I will remember that if we go this route. If the flooring tile/carpet is done on site, would it be done by them or by the general contractor?

Old 12-26-2009, 11:24 AM

Default American Homes

They have authorized vendors to do it on-site after delivery. Also, not included in the home will be your air/heat system, septic tank or sewer connection, general utility hook ups like water, power, cable/sat, etc - but the dealer should spell all that out. All American has a web site that you can see the process of how they are built, etc...

Also, appliances installed on site - you will choose a package from your dealer, or get them on your own. Cabinetry will be installed at factory unless otherwise specified. Also, very important - If you plan to get the front-loading washer/dryers, make sure they fit in the space you want. Ours stick out about 14 inches from the recess. into the laundry room, which is our route to the garage. Plenty of room to move by, just could look better. Also, they DO NOT install or offer a dryer vent - they figure that out on-site. Mine is thru the floor and a 90 turn out to the side wall

They have a computer program to allow you to design what you want. We started with a Ranch style and moved a wall here n there, added what's called a bump out for more room in the master BR and LR - plus you get that squared box look.

If you need more info or pics of the process here, contact me on my email, which should be listed in my profile.

Old 12-26-2009, 02:09 PM

I have one of their books and I believe I have been to their website too. One thing I never thought of being separate was the heat/ac. How long have you lived in your home? One thing we definitely want in any home whether it's an American Home or if we actually find a house we like, is a fireplace. We've always wanted one. I love the nice stone front fireplaces but most of the ones I see are just the simple looking ones that almost look like they were pushed up against the wall. Thanks for your help and information. If I think of anything else I'll drop you a message.

Old 12-27-2009, 06:58 AM

Default American Homes

We have one both upstairs in the house and in in-law's walk-out basement. They will frame out the location of the fireplace at the factory. You have to take care of the rest (hearth, stone work, mantle, etc). We have a gas fireplace - local builder got the actual fireplace, we arranged the gas tank and final hook up. As for stone work, we found a guy here that makes the actual stone . its not a stone look over concrete. We did both fireplaces and they look great. He is a small operation, but ships them all over the world. He keeps a record of your color formula in the event any of the stones had to be replaced. I have the name & number if you would like it. Like I said, I can send pics if you like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville