Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 08:47 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,027,010 times

Advertisements

I would absolutely try to discourage ANYONE from moving to the Magnolia area. That is bar-none the worst street in Knoxville for crime. When someone says "get down!" on Magnolia, they're not requesting to see your latest dance moves. That area was rotten in the 80s and 90s when I was growing up in Knoxville, and it's rotten today. Stay far, far away!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2007, 10:57 AM

197 posts, read 1,065,191 times
I'm looking at 37924 ZIP Code Area 114, I've heard Holston Hills is an "OK" area too, I drove by it and it looked "OK". I'm in love with the Carter / Strawberry Plains area which is covered by the ZIP mentioned above.

Old 05-16-2007, 11:10 AM

197 posts, read 1,065,191 times
By the way, Holston Hills belongs to area 106. It looked safe and clean but I was looking at the far East side of it, close to I-40.

Old 05-16-2007, 02:06 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Holston Hills isn't bad, especially close to the golf course. Close to Asheville Highway sees somewhat of a spillover from the bad areas. I work over there so I know that area best. The problem is that when you get into the decent area you are now looking at more expensive homes.

But the original post was asking why are the houses so inexpensive, and the short answer to that is the more inexpensive the more crime there is.

Old 05-16-2007, 02:43 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,027,010 times
If you really like the Strawberry Plains area, I say go for it. It's pretty country, but there are definitely some older houses there. Not too expensive either, and the commute from that side of Knoxville is a breeze, considering that probably 80-90% of Knoxville commuters live on the west side.

Old 05-16-2007, 03:23 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier07 View Post
I'm a fan of your comments JMT :-)
Thanks! I wish I could help you get your job in Knoxville!

Angelo, homes in my area are typically very small with very small yards, and of course they're old and sometimes in need of renovating. Plus it isn't a quiet part of town; there are helicopters going to St Mary's hospital, lots of trains and lots of train tracks, and it's close to some gritty industrial areas off Central. It does not bother me in the slightest that real estate agents keep steering people to West Knox, as it keeps my neighborhood affordable and interesting with neighbors from all walks of life and backgrounds.

Take a drive up Emoriland Ave or Fairmont Blvd to get an idea of just how nice North Knox can be. It's full of craftsman bungalows, Victorian cottages, four squares, small tudors, and ranchers. And you won't find a single house with bars in the windows or security warnings.

Old 05-16-2007, 03:40 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
JMT: You did a much better job of describing your area than I did! Thank you.

It also seems that the closer you get to I-40 and downtown, the more crime there is.

Thank you for coming on here and helping me! I'm getting in over my head!

Old 05-17-2007, 06:09 AM

25 posts, read 100,034 times
To all that have replied thus far, thank you for your time. I am trying to get on a new track since the effects of Katrina are still haunting many of us here. Many are looking for a new start. Can anyone tell me the name of the most professional landscape company there? Is there a market for high end landsapers?

Old 05-17-2007, 08:38 AM

5 posts, read 19,428 times
Default North Knoxville

If you are looking for an older home with some character in the low 100's, then North Knoxville is your best bet. Fountain city is even better, but a bit more expensive. The area just to the north of downtown and east are rough. There is a tiny pocket of homes called 4th and Gill just to the north of downtown that people absolutely love. The homes are all renovated (or in the process of) and the people who live there are very connected. However, these homes are usually in the high 100's to 200's and surrounded by some not so nice areas.

West Knoxville is clean, comfortable and boring to some people. I personally like West Knoxville because of its convenience to everything. People from out of town usually feel more comfortable in West Knoxville and Farragut too.

Homes in the very low 100's are getting harder and harder to find. You may also want to look in the Norwood area - (Clinton Highway/Merchants/Pleasant Ridge). Good neighborhoods and affordable prices.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-17-2007, 08:48 AM

25 posts, read 100,034 times
JMT, Do you know what zip code Fairmont and Emoriland are in? Does anyone know what Real Estate area this is?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville