Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 10:58 AM

290 posts, read 763,878 times

Advertisements

I've read as many threads as I can on Vonore, which aren't a lot. I guess because of it's size? Is there an actual town with restaurants, grocery stores, gas stations, library etc.? Or is it considered mainly a community? There is an older home my husband and I might be interested in there but don't know much about the area or the people. I have read a couple posts that the folks are nice and accepting so I don't think that will be a problem. Maryville is about 20 minutes away correct? Madisonville is less distance. My husband and I took a ride with a couple that lives in Madisonville around Vonore but it was out in the country mainly so I didn't really see a town Vonore if there is one. Any information would be appreciated. This would be a semi retirement for hubby and me.

well the house in Vonore is a no-go for us. I was able to used google maps to really see the surrounding area up close (that's pretty neat) and we don't think it's for us. But still would like to know more about Vonore area. Any takers??

Last edited by Beretta; 11-29-2009 at 04:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2009, 04:20 PM

16,176 posts, read 32,478,600 times
Vonore is just a small town in Monroe County. Everyone knows everyone else. The economy isn't the greatest and the average income is low. The people don't take to outsiders but it is a sweet little sleepy community. My son worked their county ambulance service yesterday and had two calls all day. http://www.city-data.com/city/Vonore-Tennessee.html

Old 11-29-2009, 04:29 PM

Well I guess I would be an outsider so maybe I should refocus somewhere outside of Maryville somewhere as I had been. Is there other small areas that don't take to outsiders that I should shy away from? I heard Sweetwater is nice but also a bit unaccepting.

Old 11-29-2009, 05:54 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,778,622 times
I would look at Lenoir City, a sleepy little town that "grew up" with the influx of retirees. Actually pretty close to Vonore. Close to the interstate, Farragut/Turkey Creek in 5 mins., downtown in 20, Maryville in 20. Enough shopping in town for immediate needs with new shopping going in all the time. Mix of suburban and rural.

Old 11-29-2009, 06:42 PM

16,176 posts, read 32,478,600 times
I agree with KOD. Lenoir City area should be your next target area. Much more accepting of outsiders. After all, the outsiders money has helped LC make great strides in the last 20 - 25 years.

Old 11-29-2009, 07:20 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,259,284 times
The Kitty is on to something.

Old 11-30-2009, 05:20 PM

Well since hubby and I have decided to just come down and rent and then look to find the perfect place in the perfect town I'm not going to fret anymore. It's hard to fret about something like this 500 miles away! So we're going to put our house on the market come early spring here and as Bob Barker says, "come on down" !

Old 12-01-2009, 05:37 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,778,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLuce View Post
Well since hubby and I have decided to just come down and rent and then look to find the perfect place in the perfect town I'm not going to fret anymore. It's hard to fret about something like this 500 miles away! So we're going to put our house on the market come early spring here and as Bob Barker says, "come on down" !

Early spring in Knoxville: late February(as if you didnt need another reason to come).

Old 12-01-2009, 06:31 PM

I'd love to do Knoxville's early spring but unfortunately I'll have to settle with Illinois early spring to make sure there is none of that yukky white stuff on the ground. I have seen that here as late as April. Some of the kids around here have had to hunt easter eggs with their mittens on!

Old 06-17-2010, 10:04 AM

7 posts, read 24,515 times
Default We retired to Vonore

Vonore's biggest claim to fame is that it is in one of the most beautiful settings around. The population is growing leaps and bounds because of the many developments building up that are appealing to retirees and others from other parts of the country or Tennessee. Tellico Village has a section here, Kahite, with many upscale homes and a golf course. Also Rarity Bay. Google them for more info. As far as the town goes, there is an old downtown that has been replaced with newer stuff on US 411 -- grocery store, Dollar General, some fast food, lots of gas stations, hardware, beauty shops, etc., all within about a 2 1/2 mile stretch of road. There are a few churches, an elementary and middle school (HS about 5 -8 miles away), a town park and beach, a library and town hall, and pleasant people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville