Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 08:16 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,321,489 times

Advertisements

JUst a reminder to keep the thread on topic please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 01:53 AM

7 posts, read 21,249 times
Quick update, we found a house in the Farragut area, and I think I have the work situation figured out. We are sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo excited! Knoxville and UTK here we come! (In 5 months)

Old 01-15-2010, 10:18 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,142,943 times
Smile Seems like allot of good info

With everything I have been reading on this thread about Knoxville from all you folks that you have been saying to the op. It seems like the best candidate for my DW and I to take a trip to and look around. We're not ones for the cities and we love not being able to hit our next door neighbors house with a rock. We love drag the travel trailer out and go camping, fishing (fly fishing), cycling and taking the canoe out.

I'm more of country and so is the wife. We're more on the liberal side and like to be free thinkers as well as not getting into other peoples faces about politics, or religion. "You believe in what you want and I'll believe in what I want. And it does seem that the closer to a college you get the more folks you'll find that are like that. But, I am the type of person that if my neighbor needs a helping hand, I'm the first to jump in and get my hands dirty.

HikNapster, we may be looking you up when the time comes for good places to move to, in the housing market. And if you have any knowledge of the good fishing holes that are close by.

Now how is Tennessee when it comes to alcohol? I know that in Kentucky out of what is it 94 counties, only 8 of them are wet counties and the rest are dry. Or something like that. Oh, and I'm not an alcoholic, I just like to have a drink ounce and great while. So is Knoxville in a dry county?

Old 01-15-2010, 11:44 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post

HikNapster, we may be looking you up when the time comes for good places to move to, in the housing market. And if you have any knowledge of the good fishing holes that are close by.

Now how is Tennessee when it comes to alcohol? I know that in Kentucky out of what is it 94 counties, only 8 of them are wet counties and the rest are dry. Or something like that. Oh, and I'm not an alcoholic, I just like to have a drink ounce and great while. So is Knoxville in a dry county?
Thank you. You are extremely kind. My husband fishes, too.

Knox County is not dry. Some of the surrounding counties are but just some. The rules in some counties of Tennessee are about as clear as mud, and a lot of them are changing.

But yes, you can have a drink. I'm the same as you. Once in a great while I enjoy a drink, too.

Old 01-15-2010, 12:32 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,235,568 times
To be honest, you might want to stay within a select few counties. There is still rural land, even in Knox County, and some of the people/places in counties like Scott and Hamblen can make you feel real uncomfortable, real quick. I'm from rural backwater Tennessee, so I can handle it just fine, but coming from normal American society you might find it a bit odd.

I don't ever think about if counties are dry or wet but I've never had problems ordering liquor by the drink and I often see package stores - but then I stay close to the metro areas.

Knoxville isn't your typical city and to be honest, even though you're not city folk, you'd probably have a good time visiting downtown. It's just not a very urban environment and feels like a village amplified by a thousand.

Anyway, where to live. Sounds like South Knoxville/Seymour might be a decent fit. Sevier County (Seymour) is a moist county (dry but in Gatlinburg & PF you can by LBTD), but you'd be living so close to Knox County (and to be honest doing most of your business there probably) that it shouldn't be a problem.

Old 01-15-2010, 03:21 PM

745 posts, read 1,719,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
To be honest, you might want to stay within a select few counties. There is still rural land, even in Knox County, and some of the people/places in counties like Scott and Hamblen can make you feel real uncomfortable, real quick. I'm from rural backwater Tennessee, so I can handle it just fine, but coming from normal American society you might find it a bit odd.
I live in Knox County, but I can imagine many who don't disagreeing with your characterization of rural areas. They have a distinct cultural identity and it is very normal, though maybe different from other areas. I have lived in rural counties as well, though I am not from a rural county, and I would find your characterization offensive as well, having good friends from rural counties.

Old 01-15-2010, 04:04 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,321,489 times
Weisgarber, I don't think Jab was trying to offend anyone, far from it, just being honest. I have lived in two rural areas in East TN, one VERY rural and one not far from where I believe he is referring to where he grew up.....he is being honest. It was a bit odd for me and my family, one to the point where we moved altogether. We were very nice, not stepping on any toes or anything and folks seemed nice, but there were oddities that we just could not get past. And it is hit and miss, I still have friends from that first area that we love very much but I would never live there again. ( I was told I was going to hell because I did not attend that local church. And because I asked if there was a package store in town, I was shunned as a drunk by 3 families....I just wanted a bottle of wine! hahahahha) Now, you won't find that kind of thing in every rural community in east TN, but they are there, no reason to try and hide it or pretend it isn't there, nor to take offensive over it. It's all good.

Old 01-15-2010, 04:44 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,142,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
Weisgarber, I don't think Jab was trying to offend anyone, far from it, just being honest. I have lived in two rural areas in East TN, one VERY rural and one not far from where I believe he is referring to where he grew up.....he is being honest. It was a bit odd for me and my family, one to the point where we moved altogether. We were very nice, not stepping on any toes or anything and folks seemed nice, but there were oddities that we just could not get past. And it is hit and miss, I still have friends from that first area that we love very much but I would never live there again. ( I was told I was going to hell because I did not attend that local church. And because I asked if there was a package store in town, I was shunned as a drunk by 3 families....I just wanted a bottle of wine! hahahahha) Now, you won't find that kind of thing in every rural community in east TN, but they are there, no reason to try and hide it or pretend it isn't there, nor to take offensive over it. It's all good.
OML! are you kidding me, you are, right? All that just because you enjoy a glass of wine once and a while. They may depict me as a flat out blazing drunk them. Since I may drink a 6 pack of beer in a years time, LOL. I'm not one for the churches, but that doesn't mean that I don't talk to the creator from time to time . And I don't sit there and allow other to point a finger at me either, (There's always three more pointing back atcha) just because I don't see the need to go to church all the time.

Does Knoxville have any good museums like, art, natural history, science, or the one thing that Tennessee is well noted for (Music History)?

Old 01-15-2010, 08:34 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,235,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weisgarber1 View Post
I live in Knox County, but I can imagine many who don't disagreeing with your characterization of rural areas. They have a distinct cultural identity and it is very normal, though maybe different from other areas. I have lived in rural counties as well, though I am not from a rural county, and I would find your characterization offensive as well, having good friends from rural counties.
If it offends you, I'm sorry. I am in no way passing judgment on people who live in rural counties. With very few exceptions, my entire family (a substantial group of people, let me tell ya! hahaha) lives in rural counties and in very rural areas of rural counties. Those people have an overpowering right to live their lives how they see fit and I actually very much enjoy mountain culture.

My opinion is that most people moving into Tennessee wanting "rural life" have no idea what rural life is and would be better sticking to metropolitan counties. There isn't any Tennessee city that is so overdeveloped that one can't find suitable semi-rural land within a metropolitan area. Great examples include the counties of Jefferson, Blount, Washington, Sullivan, Wilson, among others.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:08 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
My opinion is that most people moving into Tennessee wanting "rural life" have no idea what rural life is and would be better sticking to metropolitan counties. There isn't any Tennessee city that is so overdeveloped that one can't find suitable semi-rural land within a metropolitan area. Great examples include the counties of Jefferson, Blount, Washington, Sullivan, Wilson, among others.
Can't agree with you more. Even Knox has rural land.

I used to live in rural Knox County. I wanted to live there because I was used to the country up in Mass. Nope. That was even a little bit rural for me.

The city? No. I didn't care for the city. But I now live in the city limits of Knoxville and it looks just like my little country town in Mass.

Our cities are more like very large towns. And some parts of the far, far out countryside of TN are more dangerous than an inner city. True. Weird but true.

A lot of stuff goes on out there that no one should be snooping around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville