U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-15-2009, 10:01 AM

102 posts, read 269,376 times

Advertisements

A while back I remember reading on here that there had been a mud slide somewhere between Cherokee NC and GAtlinburg area. Does anyone know if this is the case? There was something about a mud slide and the road being closed down. We will be up that way from FLorida on New Year's day. We are hoping to not have to go the other route thru Chattanooga because we want to meet up with friends on the NC side. Thanks for any help and info you can give. And if everything is open- how is the driving thru the Smokies in early January. Anything to be concerned about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 12:16 PM

9,086 posts, read 21,710,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cicilyb View Post
A while back I remember reading on here that there had been a mud slide somewhere between Cherokee NC and GAtlinburg area. Does anyone know if this is the case? There was something about a mud slide and the road being closed down. We will be up that way from FLorida on New Year's day. We are hoping to not have to go the other route thru Chattanooga because we want to meet up with friends on the NC side. Thanks for any help and info you can give. And if everything is open- how is the driving thru the Smokies in early January. Anything to be concerned about?
I-40 is still closed at the TN/NC border. But to go from Cherokee to Gatlinburg you wouldn't go on I-40 anyway. US 441 over the mountains is still open. And still absolutely gorgeous!

Be warned, however, that if it snows, US 441 often closes. In early January that is a distinct possibility. And if that's the case, really the only way to get from Cherokee to Gatlinburg will be by mule or helicopter. (I'm kidding, of course.) Check the Tennessee DOT web site for updates:
Tennessee Department of Transportation

Old 12-15-2009, 06:28 PM

924 posts, read 911,967 times
If you need road conditions for GSMNP dial 865-436-1200 and listen to the menu. Eventually you'll get to road conditions which will tell you if 441 is open or what the present conditions are. The landslide is on I 40 which is well North of 441. However you could still use US 25 Between Asheville and Newport if you need to get across the mountains.

Old 12-16-2009, 05:11 AM

Thank you both for the helpful information. Now we are thinking that maybe we should make our way to Pigeon Forge area via the west side- up I 75 thru Chattanooga to Knoxville and over. Might be less risky. We are concerned that the scenic route in the winter might be too slippery with ice or snow on all the twisty mountain roads. Will keep up on the weather and road reports on the website you listed. Thanks!

Old 12-16-2009, 12:25 PM

9,086 posts, read 21,710,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cicilyb View Post
Thank you both for the helpful information. Now we are thinking that maybe we should make our way to Pigeon Forge area via the west side- up I 75 thru Chattanooga to Knoxville and over. Might be less risky. We are concerned that the scenic route in the winter might be too slippery with ice or snow on all the twisty mountain roads. Will keep up on the weather and road reports on the website you listed. Thanks!
I know you think I'm making all this up, but you can't get from WNC to Chattanooga these days, either. There was a huge rock slide on US 64 just inside Tennessee. Here's a news report of the spectacular rock slide caught on film:

Work Crews Dodge Major Rock Slide on Highway 64 | WDEF News 12 | News, Weather and Sports for Chattanooga and the Tennessee Valley

Here's the detour that TDOT is recommending:

http://www.tdot.state.tn.us/US64rockslide/maps/US64Rockslidemap.pdf (broken link)

Old 12-16-2009, 06:51 PM

We've decided to skip the NC thing and just take I 75 thru Atlanta to Chattanooga and make our way to Pigeon Forge from there.That twisty,icy, mountain driving has me a little nervous. I hadn't really thought about it before because I've only driven through there in the summer time! Thanks for your advice! Do you think that is a good idea??

Old 12-17-2009, 08:33 AM

404 posts, read 753,336 times
Thanks for the number for the GSMNP Richelle! That could be VERY helpful for me to have in my mobile phone living in Cosby!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville