Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2009, 12:44 PM

2 posts, read 3,558 times

Advertisements

Hello, this is my first post, so Hi-dee! to all of you and thanks so much if you can help.

I've been researching place to restart a new life all over the country. Some places sound great but the one place that seems to fit all my "criteria" (smiling) is the mountainy area around Knoxville.

We are a great couple who have lived on a roller coaster until we found each other. Now that our personal life is finally fulfilled, we would like to start living the way we always wanted to. AWAY from this little redneck, self serving, silly little town (what a waste of a beautiful countryside) to a better, friendlier community. (I'm so not judgemental, but I've wasted 20 years of my life trying to initiate community spirit, projects, youth activities, chamber events, and just plain old fashioned friendliness to no avail here) and we feel it's long overdue to move on.

I have a custom formal wear business and will be going to a school for nursing. My fiance is talented at many things, and is currently a driver for a construction company. His best career is sales/marketing. He will be job searching locally when we get settled there.

We are looking for a good rental apartment until we search the area for our house.

a) friendly, crime-free neighboorhood

b) close proximity to where the best events/shopping/activities/
restaurants/parks/and businesses are BUT we love quiet community living.

c) the most drug-free, trouble-free high school district ( he's a good kid and want to keep him that way)

d) neighborhood where people dont have hound dogs in pens out back (or front), trashy yards, gangs, or crazy people dropping by all hours

e) community spirit and overall friendliness. Like waving, saying good morning.... No noses in the air.

f) easy commute to wherever we might wind up working-playing. We currently have traveled 35 minutes to get to anywhere, so any more than that is not ideal.

I read several posts and saw that people generally need and like details in questions, so...I tried. We really are good people...just desperate to be around other good people for a change.

So, if you're still reading, any suggestions? tips? advice? or comments? Thanks so much!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 01:27 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
There's a heck of a lot of really great apartments so it is hard to say. What I generally tell people is to start looking for a job and then you can decide later where to live, since we have so many good areas. We have good schools, too.

That's how we did it, anyway, and it really, really worked. Of course, we moved during the housing boom, so there were lots of jobs. Our rate is better than most, but we are still in a recession, so you might have to look a little bit harder than usual.

I suggest you start here.

Knoxville News Sentinel: Local Knoxville, Tennessee News Delivered Throughout the Day.

Where the heck do you live now?

And welcome to Knoxville!

Old 12-30-2009, 04:49 PM

2 posts, read 3,558 times
We live in Dover, Tn. The area is just beautiful. I'm so put out with the general atmosphere of depression and....let's not go there again...

I have a good income coming in for the next several months no matter where I live, so we are of the very few that can actually move first, then find everything else we need. Having a comfortable, safe place to call home is our first priority. The whole world can collapse, but if you have that to come back to...it makes it all better. Thats how we feel anyway.

We're looking intently at the SW side. It all looks pretty good though. UT has the courses I need to take for what I want to do for the next 20 years, so...I'm sure it will all work out. I love to see all the positive reviews about Knoxville in general. I'm a little concerned about the lack of information I can find from parents and communities about the school systems. That's actually as high a priority as the safe community, even though he's only got another year and a half. The school system he is in now is "safe" but completely non-condusive to giving him a chance to become anything he wants. He needs a taste of more options and less barriers.

Thanks for the welcome!

Old 12-31-2009, 08:01 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
We have a nine-year-old and moved here BECAUSE of the schools.

I write about the school system all the time, as do many other people. Check out here for specific school info. GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community

However, we have a professor on the forum and he sees kids from different schools and systems. He says that the kids in Knox County are taught the same curriculum. Test scores from different schools has more to do with the parents and their background than it does the actual school.

Old 12-31-2009, 08:41 AM

46 posts, read 131,624 times
Welcome to Knoxville! I would have to agree that find a job first so you can narrow down where you would like to live I am against rent (never rented in my life) so don't know much about apts. Rates are still good so if you can find a decent area then I say get a house
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
View detailed profiles of: