U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 12:30 PM

22,576 posts, read 49,603,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevoyager View Post
I've lived here a little over a year. Frankly almost every week I hear something along the lines of 'you damn northerner' (I'm originally from southern Indiana, and Ky). Its getting old quickly. And its not like I do anything overt to get that sort of reaction, but if I don't go along with everything everyone says (laugh at racist jokes, agree gay people should be strung up and shot, are just some of the very real examples - i get these on a regular basis. I've even been asked wouldn't I rather be at home barefoot and pregnant, than have to work.)

I dunno, maybe you'll have an easier time since you won't be a 'damn northerner'.
You are obviously in some sort of work environment with bizarre people.

I have very strong beliefs when it comes to gays, racism, discrimination, etc. If someone starts something like that around me, I end it, and end it quickly. To say that I am polite but forceful is an understatement.

I'm also a Yankee. A real one. From New England.

I have been here over four years and have never heard anyone say anything remotely close to "damn northerner."

I know the economy is not great, but if you are working around people like that your job can't be all that good to begin with. I would find another job. This city is teeming with friendly, welcoming folks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 12:34 PM

2,017 posts, read 4,982,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
I have pre-judged no one.

I gave examples as to the reason people in Wyoming or Colorado might be against Texans.

Driving around with U of Texas Longhorn symbols on your car might be seen by the OP as supporting a college team far away.

It miight be viewed by Wyoming residents as--------" lool at me, I'm from Teaxas"

When in Rome, do as the Romans.
OK Marmac, I apologize, you haven't pre judged anyone, I took what you wrote differently then how you meant it. For what its worth, I happen to agree a bit with you. You saying when in Rome, do as the Romans do has a lot of merit.
I wear Orange and white here, never black and gold Army clothing. I left my Army stuff back in NY. I am not an alumni of West Point, just used to be a season ticket holder to all Army home games. Call me a fair weather fan for Army but after attending 20 years worth of games and they never won one game, it didn't hurt my feelings to leave all the Tee's, sweatshirts and jackets in NY. But that was me and my choice to switch my alliance to my new home towns team.

Old 01-15-2010, 12:37 PM

9,803 posts, read 14,409,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazymomof3 View Post
I disagree. I am proud to have gone to UT.

I see Cornhusker stuff everywhere here...

Heck, in Texas I saw LSU, UNC, CU, you name it...everywhere! It never bothered me one iota.

I think if people are offended because of my alma mater then they need to go fly a kite. It's a flippin' university. I'm not driving around with a bullhorn, screaming, "I'm from Texas and I am better than you". The UT magnet on my car is about 1.5 inches tall. If you blink, you could miss it.

So I suppose, 'when in Rome' here means I abandon all manners and decorum and act like horses' butt? No thanks...I'll stick to the southern way of life I was taught.

A person displaying Texas arrogance in Wyoming would probably be the last person to recognize it or admit it.

Perhaps others in Wyoming do recognize it .

Old 01-15-2010, 12:44 PM

992 posts, read 2,153,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
A person displaying Texas arrogance in Wyoming would probably be the last person to recognize it or admit it.

Perhaps others in Wyoming do recognize it .
Wow. Thanks. You're a real peach.

The LAST thing I am is arrogant.

I find it amusing that you are ok to bash Texans over and over, and slyly imply that I'm arrogant, but you have said nothing about the hateful bumper stickers...and the horribly crappy attitude we've received just for being here.

Just for your information, the entire family has purchased UW gear...my kids wear it and so do I. I'm ok with "supporting the team" even though my heart is with the Longhorns. We've embraced the UW cowboy thing, so we've done a little 'when in Rome'.

Old 01-15-2010, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam& Bill View Post
OK Marmac, I apologize, you haven't pre judged anyone, I took what you wrote differently then how you meant it. For what its worth, I happen to agree a bit with you. You saying when in Rome, do as the Romans do has a lot of merit.
I wear Orange and white here, never black and gold Army clothing. I left my Army stuff back in NY. I am not an alumni of West Point, just used to be a season ticket holder to all Army home games. Call me a fair weather fan for Army but after attending 20 years worth of games and they never won one game, it didn't hurt my feelings to leave all the Tee's, sweatshirts and jackets in NY. But that was me and my choice to switch my alliance to my new home towns team.

Outside of being degraded and told to leave because of race, I believe many times being told to leave because of where you came from is cuz the locals have observed in one's speech or behavior that they feel where they came from was better.

( IMHO )

Old 01-15-2010, 12:52 PM

Well, what about when you haven't even spoken to said person and they tell you to get the heck out of town? What's the excuse then?

What about when you have your car vandalized?

What do I do? I walk my dog, I go to the supermarket, I take my kids to school and the rec center, I take my kids to the park, I play with my kids in the snow, and I support local business, as much as I would love to take my business to Ft. Collins because there is more to offer there. I don't talk to anyone, but I do wave and say hello. What do I get? A finger, my car vandalized, my children harassed because they say, "yall". I have become accustomed to being in my home because I'm tired of listening to all the ignorant horse manure that people want to dish out to us.

I can assure you myself, my husband, and certainly not my children...we've done nothing to invite such hostility.

My initial post was about TN...I wanted to hear from folks in the area and those that have come to the area their perceptions and what newcomers can expect...newcomers that like to play sports with their kids, go to church, and just hang out can expect. I really don't like where this is going...I'm feeling attacked and I've defended myself over and over again. I am just wanting to find out about eastern TN, not how much you hate Texans, or how arrogant you think I am. It's really not nice.

Old 01-15-2010, 01:30 PM

Well, moving to TN and keeping your Texas plates and U of Texas Longhorn decals on your car is the only way you will find out.

Old 01-15-2010, 01:40 PM

851 posts, read 2,242,964 times
WOW.
I think by law you are supposed to change you vehicle tag, you might want to check into that. You don't want anymore trouble.
Is there anything that you do like about Wyoming? I know that sometimes when we are unhappy with where we are living, we tend to notice only the bad things and dwell on them. I have done that with Florida. All that does is make us and as well as everyone around us miserable. It just keeps building inside us until we finally realize what we are doing. It is not easy to see what we are doing, looking out. And it is easier for the person on the outside to see in, than the person on the inside to see out. And I think that is what these posters are trying to do, bring it to your attention. There hasn't been any positive about anyone or anyplace you have been except Texas. You really need to find someone or someplace that makes you happy. And just focus on that. As I said before, do you get along with your husbands Tennessee family and have you talked to them about how accepting local people are with (out of state people)Texans? I hope you find your place, whether it's TN or TX.
Good luck.

Old 01-15-2010, 02:03 PM

My husband's family is born and raised there, so that's really all that they know. I've heard from them that a lot of new folks have moved in the area, but I haven't heard anything negative from them.
I do get along with his family-a lot of his family has passed away (young ages, too) so what's left is very tight knit.

I have a sister in Charlotte, so we'd definitley be closer to her and her family, which would be really wonderful for our children.

As far as liking Wyoming? Not really. It is way too cold for me, and there's really not a lot to do. I'm not a skier (I can't-I'm expecting anyway). I don't hunt, I don't fish. I like to hike but it's too cold. I love to swim, and I can do that indoors here, but it's really hard because there's only certain times I can do that. I was really involved in my YMCA, kids' school, kids' sports, and several mothers groups back home, and there's no moms groups here, no YMCA, no sports going on right now. We've taken the kids bowling and things like that, but that wears out after a while. We really love to be outside, and it's really hard to do that in this extreme climate. Sure it was hot in Houston, but jumping in a pool really could solve that problem. We've had days where it's been dangerous to be outside because it's so cold. I have little ones that I worry about. The wind is brutal, too. Often roads are closed, so getting out of town just to get some sanity and a change of scenery is out of the question. The cost of everything is so much higher here, too, so I'm trying to adjust to that and get my head around it all. Luckily I have great parents that send us care packages.

The plates? The plates. Ok, it's going to cost just for MY car over $800 to get plates...we don't plan on being here past Oct. 2010 (8.5 more months) so we've declined getting plates. One of my husband's coworkers has been here for 2 years and STILL has out of state plates...it's really not that uncommon from what we understand, since it's a college town.

I've probably been Debbie Downer about Wyoming, but it is pretty hard to be shunned and it's even harder when your kids come home crying nearly every day because of what a child said to them, which they probably heard from their ignorant parents. I anticipated some trouble adjusting, but I thought it'd be just the kids missing grandparents, friends and such. I had no idea that we'd be vandalized, harrassed, and made to feel so unwelcome.

I worked very hard to get into UT, and I'm not going to apologize for being proud of my school. It's not like I'm driving around in a burnt orange vehicle blowing my horn and singing The Eyes of Texas are upon you. I've got a little magnet.

marmac, do you live in the Knoxville area?

Old 01-15-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLORIDA TO NIOTA 2010 View Post
WOW.
I think by law you are supposed to change you vehicle tag, you might want to check into that. You don't want anymore trouble.
Is there anything that you do like about Wyoming? I know that sometimes when we are unhappy with where we are living, we tend to notice only the bad things and dwell on them. I have done that with Florida. All that does is make us and as well as everyone around us miserable. It just keeps building inside us until we finally realize what we are doing. It is not easy to see what we are doing, looking out. And it is easier for the person on the outside to see in, than the person on the inside to see out. And I think that is what these posters are trying to do, bring it to your attention. There hasn't been any positive about anyone or anyplace you have been except Texas. You really need to find someone or someplace that makes you happy. And just focus on that. As I said before, do you get along with your husbands Tennessee family and have you talked to them about how accepting local people are with (out of state people)Texans? I hope you find your place, whether it's TN or TX.
Good luck.

I don't think calling me arrogant is helpful...I also don't think bashing Texas is offering help either.

I have lived in Alabama, too. I liked it there..of course, it was the south so it wasn't that far off from Texas. I didn't like the outrageous taxes there, but the people were pretty great. I had a good time there. We weren't there long, but we have some fond memories.

I really doubt that marmac is trying to be helpful. He's being snarky and a little rude. I think he's got a personal problem with TX, and that's ok...it's his problem, not mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville