Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2007, 11:00 AM

43 posts, read 160,535 times

Advertisements

Hello again,

Thanks to those who answered my brief question regarding the schools in the area. I have been diligently reading this forum gaining various tidbits when I came along someone saying that singles in the area are few and far between (not in those words -but that was the jist I got). Is it true? Specifically, does anyone know info about what lies beyond the college scene - a bit older than that.

-JMC0270
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2007, 11:18 AM

2,106 posts, read 5,787,856 times
Well... My observations between there and living in CA is that most people in the east TN area are already married, with kids and the whole nine yards. So ya-the single scene isn't as happening. There are exceptions like Old Town in Knoxville and some of the clubs in West Knoxville, but I never had any luck. The difference is that people in TN are not transient. That's different compared to say NY or LA where the door is always swinging.

I can just remember coming home to visit a year ago and wondering where in the hell all the 20-something year old people were because it seemed like there is an outright void of them there. That said, Nashville wasn't like that at all, and to some extent, neither is Memphis.

Old 05-24-2007, 11:44 AM

12 posts, read 48,164 times
In Knoxville, single life requires some sort of institutional connection if you want quality. Most people meet through family, friends, or church related events. Although UT singles are abundant (mostly on campus), they are, in general, seasonal and cliquish. Keep in mind that this is part-college town and part Appalachian textile town (slowly emerging from the wilderness). I'll never understand why the World's Fair came to town back in 1982; it left no legacy except a tarnished and mysterious metal object downtown.

Chance meetings have not been common for me or my friends. However, older singles have a few club options. Cotton-Eyed Joes has a huge dance floor, and you'll enjoy this club if you like country music. Bailey's, a sport bar, has pool tables and TV’s for you to enjoy with the good old boys. I won't even mention Judy's. The Palace (formerly known as Michael's) is a hip spot, but it is saturated by hideous regulars. In general, this club is associated with lots of substance abuse and women always refer to it as a "meat market" environment. It's excellent for those wanting a one night stand with a married woman-- who may or may not have an STD. Besides the west end of town, you'll find the Old-City clubs to be decent, but then again they cater to the UT clicks. There are some good bands that play there. Downtown there is market square—the best thing that ever happened for singles in the last 20 years. Visit World Grotto, Sundown in the City, and events and concerts. The Metro Pulse, a liberal/alternative free publication (found at more liberal establishments), can provide you with more detail on entertainment, restaurants, and clubs.

On the outskirts of Knoxville, there is Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg. Back in the 1980s, this was a fantastic place to meet single women/ men. Now, however, these singles have married and still congregate in that area. Also, it's like the area has morphed into a generic miniature Orlando (traffic and all), but with some sort of country music theme.

Lots of folks in Knoxville utilize internet networking sites. But, if you're like me, you'll find that you are not interested in a woman who can't fit into a two-piece bikini or you don’t have the time for all the chatting and instant messaging before meeting her. Plus, ready made families are in abundance on the internet. Keep in mind, Tennessee has high rates of teen pregnancy, illiteracy, and obesity. Again, there are exceptions for those singles who really mesh with the area. It's my opinion if you aren't viewed as an outsider (from a big city or minority), you will fair well enough. If you are from Midland, Texas, you’ll fit right in. If you fall into the out-group category, I recommend that you read a book entitled "Our Southern Highlanders." There is an online (free) version if you use a good search engine. This book was written in the 1930s, but many Knoxville liberals feel it has validity today.

Overall, Knoxville is a family town. Over and over, you'll hear people say that it is an excellent place to raise children and buy a home. This is a half-truth. If you consider yourself to be progressive or liberal, you'll be in the minority. You'll have to maneuver in order to find your niche. Most folks here are conservative Baptists. Even so, there are some very nice people here.

Old 05-24-2007, 12:02 PM

2,106 posts, read 5,787,856 times
I hate to be ugly, but since these are " my people" I guess that makes it ok... in a twisted, politically correct kind of way. The Obese statement is an understatement. My whole family is freakishly thin even for areas where thin people are more common. So when I take the puddle-jumper plane from Atlanta to Knoxville, I swear to god that the plane will never make it of the ground since 80% of the people on it are severely overweight. When I visit, I can't get over how amazingly fat the population is.

That was kind of a problem for me back in the day. Finding women that A: weren't already married, B: Not 300 pounds, or C: Completely uber-religious. The biggest problem bar-none was that they weren't already married because the comment that Knoxville is viewed as a place to breed children is amoungst other things the reason why the majority of people living there are doing exactly that... rarin' young-uns. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I'm a happily married man myself, but I didn't meet her in Knoxville because try as I might, the dating scene in Knoxville kind of sucked.

Nashville... I think that might be a way better bet because of the industry and attraction to younger people.

Old 05-24-2007, 01:49 PM

43 posts, read 160,535 times
Things that make you go hmm.. Thank you for the information!

Old 05-25-2007, 03:00 AM

16 posts, read 49,321 times
First post here...not even sure how I came across this site exactly, but I started reading the Knoxville section out of curiousity...

Even though I'm a little younger, as a college student, I can attest to BringontheSun's post - he pretty much hit the nail on the head. Being fairly liberal and having moved here from out west several years ago, it's been quite the uphill battle socially. People that I've called friends for years have all moved away citing the same things you have, along with other things. The entire social scene is very "clicky" as you said and beyond hanging out at eachother's houses or going to the lake there's not a whole lot to do. Even campus life sucks unless you are into Football and church groups.

I've never expected the city to change to fit my wants / needs, I'm just agreeing with you guys - though I do feel the town is TERRIFIED of change. The only "progress" that's allowed around here is destroying more land to build a new Wal-mart or shopping center. And yeah...obesity and general trashiness is rampant - though there are a lot good people...

lol, ugh not making sense anymore and i'm sure to offend a lot of people...need sleep
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville