Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 09:23 AM

661 posts, read 2,896,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG&D93 View Post
As a native Floridian myself, I can tell you that you WILL miss the lack of blue skies, white clouds and sunshine.

I have found myself getting depressed at times because we will go days without seeing the sun. And the blue skies are few and far between. I DO love the milder weather. I don't miss the 8-9 months of heat, but I do miss the vitamin D and blue skies.

My husband who isn't originally from FL but lived there for 18 years feels the same way. Lately we have been struggling with it. Just my input. Though when we DO get those clear days, it's breathtaking.
Maybe we're in totally different areas, but this really confuses me.

Blue sky days few and far between? Where are you?

As a person who gets kind of gloomed out in a place with dreary weather (WA state darn near killed me), I find TN weather perfect. Cloudy (and now rainy) days are the exception.

Maybe we've just had a good first year here, but I sure wouldn't call eastern TN weather depressing. On the other hand, I'm not at all familiar with Florida weather, so I can't compare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2007, 11:03 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,409,608 times
"...I have found myself getting depressed at times because we will go days without seeing the sun..."

We were in Cumberland, Roane, Anderson, Union, Loudon, Knox, and Blount Counties for 10 days, returning last monday.

Of all that time, we saw one rainstorm overnight which led to one half of a dreary day. The rest of the days were sunny, clear, and cool. The nights were clear, crisp, and beautiful.

I've never heard of anywhere in TN regularly having that kind of dismal weather, to be honest.

Does your house have too many trees? Shades down? Or maybe you're looking at the world through "not"-rose-colored glasses lol? Cuz the Tennessee I saw (Nashville through Knoxville) was stellar!

Old 05-30-2007, 10:32 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,319,846 times
I have been living in North East TN for 10 years now, came from Fl...I too do not know where you are talking about with the constant dismal skies? Even on cloudy days you still see blue skies through most of the time, it is not like a total blanket of clouds. That is one thing I love about this area, there are mountains in the background of just about anywhere you look, lots and lots of long range views and blue skies with pretty puffy white clouds scattered about here and there just about all the time. Although yesterday was a hot one! I do not like those high humidity days, but glad today is not near a bad. I can handle a day or so here and there, not like FL where it was everyday for 8 months straight and that darn 3:00pm rain/thunder shower everyday during the summer. I guess it is all a mater of personal preference, but after living in CT and Fl, yea....to me TN weather is PERFECT!
Oh wait...here is our awful cloudy skies! [IMG][/IMG]
Or maybe this one?
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 05-30-2007, 10:38 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
I don't understand that weather reference, either. There were times that I was discouraged, but the weather has always been great.

Old 05-30-2007, 11:38 AM

6 posts, read 22,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karebear View Post
My husband it trying to avoid a huge commute while he interns at the Department of Justice downtown, do you have any suggestions? One neighborhood we were looking at was Historic 4th and Gill?
The 4th and Gill neighborhood is fantastic. Try Google. I believe the neighborhood association has a website. Another good neighborhood a little farther west, but still good for commuting downtown, is Westwood, a subdivision established in the Fifties. Most of the homes have been updated.

Old 05-31-2007, 11:27 AM

340 posts, read 1,189,002 times
I too don't understand the 'gloomy weather days' statement either. We've been here two years, and it is typically gorgeous and sunny where we have lived.

We came from the coast as well. What we HAVE noticed is that the sun is very, very bright on the coast, and is slightly muted here (we prefer the muted, by the way, and the lower humidity).

Now, some homes around the corner from us, in between two ridges, don't get much sunlight at all.

And as for commutes, my commute from the Maryville area (south of Maryville) is about 45 minutes to west Knoxville. Going to downtown would be closer, but the traffic is heavier.

I don't think anything of the commute from Maryville, but Gatlinburg (and fighting the traffic) isn't a realistic daily commute to Knoxville for me, even though I love the Gatlinburg area.

Last edited by BarbG; 05-31-2007 at 11:38 AM..

Old 06-01-2007, 07:46 AM

109 posts, read 359,475 times
I could not imagine Knoxville having a gloomy weather at all either..that comment surprised me a lot...I experienced the most beautiful days,.....it is soooooo GREEN up there....I wanted to go to the top of the mountains and just sit there and enjoy the beautiful views of the area...It was hot but not sticky hot like it is here in Miami, the weather was just right!!!!! I use to live in a city where there are a lot of mountains (Vina Del Mar, Chile), so I like this about TN....I also lived in New Orleans…… so I love the fact that Knoxville has a little of both flavors

Old 06-01-2007, 11:49 AM

4 posts, read 11,135 times

Here's a link on the ongoing problem of air in East TN:

East Tennessee Regional Clean Air Coalition

As for winters, they are drab and brown. This compounds the problem of shorter day light hours. Come see for yourself if you don't believe this.

Last edited by truthbetoldaboutetn; 06-01-2007 at 11:51 AM.. Reason: Correct link

Old 06-01-2007, 12:24 PM

340 posts, read 1,189,002 times
Gosh, I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I LOVE winter here. The leaves are all gone, so I can see into the wooded areas and the shapes of the hillside, the air is clear, the pollution that settles here from the north (or now the smoke from GA) during the summer is all gone, the views through the mountains go on forever, and there's always a little hope of snow.

I'm from the Gulf Coast and most everything was brown in the winter there as well.

Did I mention that the grass stops growing so we don't have to cut it every 7 - 10 days?

Not to mention that the small critters are more active in the cooler weather, as well.

Yep, I love winter in TN.

Edited to add: We travelled to TN for 20 years before moving here, during the winter. So it actually started out as our favorite season here. Living here only made me add spring and fall to our favorite seasons.

Old 06-01-2007, 12:26 PM

4 posts, read 11,135 times
Default Oh, forgot this one too:

This looks like a 1998 measurement. Guess, what it's worse now. Take note of the Tennessee area:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville