Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 11:18 AM

1,113 posts, read 2,520,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzycue View Post
That is so true...Everyday in my one hour drive home from work I think about my move and how much my life is going to change, and I thought the same thing you just stated.....I feel sad to know that I am selling my home and will be leaving such a beautiful city, but just the thought of how much happier my marriage and life will be, that motivates me even more to move out of here! But the unknown is what is killing me, cause we have NO Job yet, nor a place to live!!!
It can be done. My sister and her husband are gypsy type people. They get tired of an area and then around tax time they go driving, when they come upon an area that they like, they take their tax money, load everything up in a u-haul, stay in a hotel for a few days and it takes them about a week to find jobs and an apartment. If they can do....we can do it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2007, 11:27 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,494,356 times
Suzy - Forgive me for asking as I am sure you have shared this elsewhere; what type of work do you and your hubby do?

Old 06-20-2007, 11:45 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
Suzy, why are you moving if it makes you sad, and why do you think it will make your marraige and life better?

Old 06-20-2007, 01:54 PM

109 posts, read 359,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Suzy, why are you moving if it makes you sad, and why do you think it will make your marraige and life better?
Well, it makes me sad because I bought my first home here in Miami, and it is a cute little town home where we have put in a lot of love and hard work.....but life here has gotten very expensive and jobs here do not compensate the cost of living.....It is overcrowded, people are impolite, uneducated, traffic sucks, schools are not that good, it is not a good place to raise a family, it is hard to trust people, a lot of fraud happens here, etc, etc…… My sadness is an emotional feeling of my first accomplishment, buying a home at such a young age…..I also love the weather and the beaches..... but I am ready to move on and form a family with my husband……Why my marriage will improve, well, my husband is very unhappy here and I think there is much more to enjoy in Knoxville, TN (such as nature, it’s peaceful, people are so nice, etc…). Plus, we are ready to start a family. We are ready for a change and enjoy life together in a quieter and happier place. )

Old 06-20-2007, 02:33 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
Suzycue:

I completely understand. I didn't realize that you live in Miami!

My marriage has improved since we moved from Fort Myers. Of course, moving away from ALL those crazy in-laws probably had something to do with it.

Old 06-21-2007, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Suzycue:

I completely understand. I didn't realize that you live in Miami!

My marriage has improved since we moved from Fort Myers. Of course, moving away from ALL those crazy in-laws probably had something to do with it.
LOL, you made me laugh.... I met with my realtor yesterday, and it does not look good...the market is VERY slow in Miami, and it is going to be tough...might loose some money...not sure yet…..I am just going to have to stay positive...but I could not agree more that it is time to get the hell out!! The stress is beginning…but it will be all worth it at the end!

Old 06-24-2007, 04:51 PM

3 posts, read 7,045 times
Hello my name is Stuart and we are thinking of relocating to knoxville also. We are retired and would like to know where we could find about 3-5 acres to put a double wide on ...can any one help?

Old 07-01-2007, 11:50 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,134,645 times
Thanks for the glimpse of your pictures, Suzycue. We visited Maryville and surrounding area couple of weeks ago, and are now planning a return trip to find a little patch of land to build our retirement house in Blount Co. It is lovely; reminds me of my hometown in N. Central PA. Could almost reach out and touch the mts. Looking forward to that again - but in a warmer climate! People in TN couldn't be nicer.

Old 07-02-2007, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
Suzy - Forgive me for asking as I am sure you have shared this elsewhere; what type of work do you and your hubby do?
Sorry I did not respond this question, I just noticed it. I work in the administrative/marketing field and my husband is a computer tech, but works for a company that sell Kycera copy machines and he does the networking, set up and repairing of those machines. I do think that with our experience it will not take us long to find a job, But I still fear the unknown!! About the pay in TN, /I am not sure, I mean I do not make all that much in the expensive city of Miami, so if I am moving to a lower cost of living city, I think I will be ok.

Old 07-03-2007, 11:14 PM

3 posts, read 6,401 times
Maryville is a great place, but it amazes me how people from other states such as myself dream of moving here and kind of fantasize about how great life is going to be and how happy they will be. I left a job I loved in a state I hated (FL) to move here to a state I love but now have a job I hate. When I lived in FL I said I will take any job just to get up here. I'm a nurse, I said I would even waitress if I had to if it meant getting out of FL faster. I did get a nursing job before I moved here but not in the area of nursing I want and I have searched for the position I want for a year now with no success. I only make 6 cents more here and I lived in one of the lowest paying counties for nurses in FL. I did research wages before I moved here but wasn't offered those high wages nor was it very negotiable.

Anyway I fantasized about how great life would be here because I hated FL so much. When I moved here I realized the people aren't ALWAYS nice (had a driver from Knoxville give me the middle finger just last week), and people can still be rude in stores but not as bad as FL. Going to Walmart isn't as horrible now but it can still be aggravating. At least no one breaks out in a fight in the parking lot or the store like they do in FL. I also had some culture shock at first and felt like I didn't fit in but now I do. I have made more friends here than I ever had in FL. People do speak Spanish here, thought I could escape that moving from FL. They were teaching my daughter's 1st grade class Spanish here and I said WHAT?!! In East Tennessee?!?! Why?? We aren't in FL anymore!!!

After a month at my job I hated it and have been there a year now. And where I work there is ALOT of gossiping and talking behind eachother's back by native Tennesseeans, but they are friendly to your face.

There IS humidity here but not as bad as FL. I don't feel like I'm being suffocated now just walking from the house to the car. The 4 seasons are beautiful!!!

My rent is only $90 cheaper here and I live in a smaller place. Also when I moved here I found out how many people aren't actually from here and I thought oh great this place will become messed up like FL has.

However, none of these negatives make me want to move back to FL. I love it here and don't regret my decision to move. I'm starting to consider the Johnson City/Kingsport area now though because there are more job opportunities for me. After saying all that I just want to say don't think life is going to be perfect here. There are problems everywhere. I would just rather deal with the problems here in this beautiful state. And don't fantasize about how you think life is going to be here or you may be disappointed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville