Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2010, 06:13 AM

2,124 posts, read 6,818,984 times

Advertisements

Hi, I know there are a bunch of cook-in-front-of-you Japanese restaurants in Knoxville. I've heard Wasabi is very good. Questions...
- do any of them offer a dessert with the combo dinners?
- do any of them offer a salad that has more than just iceberg lettuce in it?
- do any offer lomein w/ dinner instead of rice?
- who has the best ginger sauce? (i.e. doesn't look like brown water)

thanks for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 11:40 AM

199 posts, read 521,012 times
I don't have any answers to your specific questions, but Wasabi (the one on Bearden Hill) is excellent. Miyabi used to be the best, but it closed and was replaced with some other place that I currently can't remember the name of. It's on Kingston Pike close to Gallaher View.

Old 02-06-2010, 05:36 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,778,889 times
Kanpai of Tokyo has crappy ginger sauce. I'm pretty sure nobody offers dessert with the meal. Honestly, I haven't been to many of those places recently. I've been in an Indian phase. From what I remember, Wasabi has good ginger sauce. There are several ones that are sketchy, including the former Miyabi place. Honestly, Wasabi is your best bet.

Old 02-08-2010, 06:49 PM

84 posts, read 246,210 times
If you're looking for good food without the tableside show, Shono's off of Peters Road is fantastic! It's got great shrimp sauce and good ginger dressing for the salads. And it's reasonably priced! No dessert or lo mein substitutions, though.

It's a fairly small hole in the wall, so if your question is more about a night out than just looking for good grub, then Shono's isn't your place. And I haven't tried any of the other options to offer any advice on them. So, there's my two cents....

Old 02-08-2010, 07:13 PM

2,124 posts, read 6,818,984 times
Appreciate it! I really like the hibachi style - that flavor - it doesn't have to be cooked in front of me. Are there any Japanese restaurants with buffets of any kind (even if it's just the salad)?

Old 02-09-2010, 02:41 AM

7 posts, read 21,894 times
the "sketchy" place you guys are referring to is Misaki, and while ive never eaten their hibachi, their sushi is excellent. i go there weekly almost.
ill grant you the parking lot doesnt help the aesthetics of the place.

ive never had dessert with hibachi, and i dont eat the ginger sauce so cant comment on that,

Old 02-10-2010, 05:20 AM

66 posts, read 179,388 times
Adding to the list of excellent 'non-show' places, I'd suggest Kasumi off of Campbell Station.

The hibachi is great and the sushi might be the best in Knoxville for the price.

And the staff is uber-friendly

Old 02-16-2010, 09:03 AM

812 posts, read 1,674,610 times
Let me start with this:

I went to school with Kevin Aoki about a billion years ago. I grew up going to the Benihana on 79th St on the Bay in Miami at LEAST once a year since I was about 16 till about 24. I LOVE This style of eating VERY much!!

That being said, Wasabi on Lovell road is a BEAUTIFUL replacement!! The sushi is VERY good, the 'to order' Shrimp is excellent, and the portion size is out of control! No, desserts are NOT included with meals as I remember. The salad is marginal, but honestly if you are going to a place like this for the salad I have to question your motivation for going. I have no clue about the lomein, but I can't see the staff making their best effort to accommodate you (call ahead or get there before the rush). I'm not into Ginger sauce, so I can't give you a fair evaluation of that.

When it comes to Kanpai of Tokyo, I went there ONCE for dinner, and ONCE for lunch because my workmates at the time were going. I'm not planning on returning there again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville