Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 09:47 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times

Advertisements

OK this is a sad day. My parents just came back from their daily mall walking at East Towne and saw that Gunthor's has closed. Dang it!!!!

I don't know. I read that the city is giving a half million dollars to a trendy national retailer to open a store downtown, while a locally owned restaurant in a dying mall is forced out of business. Maybe the guy who owned Gunthor's should've asked for some free cash to move downtown, too.

I'm really going to miss Gunthor's!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 09:57 AM

6,196 posts, read 5,443,053 times
JMT.... that is sad news. I hadn't even gotten the chance to try them out either...that is sad too. Unfortunately the mom n pops are getting hit real hard and it is difficult to get the cash for small businesses.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:08 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,347,702 times
Oh no! No more Shrimp Po Boys or Shrimp Jumbalaya! I had a feeling they weren't doing well....it is a very sad day for me.
Pam

Old 02-23-2010, 10:21 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
And I think it stinks that the city is giving money (and people are ecstatic about it) to bring a national retailer to downtown whose profits will go back to the corporate headquarters in Pennsylvania, while the local mom & pop places are left to die on the vine.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:58 AM

745 posts, read 1,718,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
And I think it stinks that the city is giving money (and people are ecstatic about it) to bring a national retailer to downtown whose profits will go back to the corporate headquarters in Pennsylvania, while the local mom & pop places are left to die on the vine.
Yes, most of what one hears is about retail, retail, retail, downtown. But the truth is that retail downtown is likely going to be about niche retailing, and not retail as downtowns were once known for. That niche retailing isn't going to make a very big impact on the overall economic health of the community or metro area. It will help, but it needs to be understood for what it is.

Old 02-23-2010, 02:10 PM

213 posts, read 550,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Maybe the guy who owned Gunthor's should've asked for some free cash to move downtown, too.
I think you are right, if he had opened downtown he might have survived.

I do have to confess that after they got the bad report on Don Dare’s “Food For Thought” I lost my enthusiasm to give them a try. I now wish that I hadn’t waited to give them a try.

Old 02-23-2010, 03:42 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Oh? I didn't know about that report...

I don't want to be the jerk, but am I the only that is not seeing the irony in this?

When I was a kid, I grew up in a thriving downtown. Then, along came the mall and the downtown died. Now, malls are not as popular. True, the Turkey Creeks are becoming much more popular. But so are downtowns.

And no one is giving anyone money to move downtown. What was given was a grant to a BUILDING for improvements. Urban Outfitters is eyeing the property, that's all.

Yes, Urban Outfitter is a niche market. So what. It's a store. The more stores that relocate downtown, the better.

Now, when Pam and I were at Gunthor's a few weeks ago, I had a couple of seconds to talk to the owner and he seemed happy enough. Maybe, just maybe, they are moving to another location. Lord knows, I would be. I hate to say it, but that mall is deader than a doornail.

Pam, did Bill get to know the owner?

Old 02-23-2010, 03:53 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,347,702 times
The owner of Gunthor's recognized Bill when he came in as a fellow Nola resident and he remembered Bill liked Double Chivas on the Rocks. He sat there sipping Chivas one day with Bill because he had never tried Chivas before then.
I hope they moved to a new location. I just ran in there on Saturday and got Bill and I Shrimp Po Boys to go. I had no clue it was the last time I'd ever get anything else at Gunthor's.

Old 02-23-2010, 05:07 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam& Bill View Post
The owner of Gunthor's recognized Bill when he came in as a fellow Nola resident and he remembered Bill liked Double Chivas on the Rocks. He sat there sipping Chivas one day with Bill because he had never tried Chivas before then.
I hope they moved to a new location. I just ran in there on Saturday and got Bill and I Shrimp Po Boys to go. I had no clue it was the last time I'd ever get anything else at Gunthor's.
That's so weird.

I looked back on the article that JMT had posted regarding the mall. They had interviewed the owner and he thought it was a good idea that the school system was considering the mall.

Anyway, that's the last thing mentioned about Gunthor's in the paper. And it quoted the gentleman as one of the owners, so there are other folks. Sometime it turns out that someone pulls out their money for unrelated reasons. This closing might not have anything to do with anything, if you know what I mean.

The way I look at it, it means more restaurant research will have to be involved. I love restaurant research. And while we are on the subject, I have not received a Ye Olde Steakhouse report from Pam, Bill or JMT. What's up with that?

Old 02-23-2010, 10:38 PM

7,536 posts, read 17,221,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Oh? I didn't know about that report...

I don't want to be the jerk, but am I the only that is not seeing the irony in this?

No. At least, you're not the only one noticing it.

Suburban Poverty Is Our Unfortunate Future - GOOD Blog - GOOD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville