Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 05:31 AM

6,353 posts, read 11,589,402 times

Advertisements

I dunno - piedmont wants to talk about her neighborhood. So what if it's an old thread. People who use the search function will find it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2018, 05:30 PM

59 posts, read 68,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackilsa View Post
Oh, fantastic! I used to ride horses off of Clara Barton Road, near North Oxford Mills. My dad grew up in Worcester, on Belmont hill. I'm very glad to have your perspective on Parkridge since you know where I'm coming from.

That said, I think what is of most concern to us right now is house value relative to the neighborhood. The property we are considering is one of the nicest homes in the immediate area, very nicely renovated. However, the asking price is far higher than the vast majority of homes in the neighborhood. I would rather buy low and sell high than buy high and sell a little higher.

It really, really is a beautiful home. But yesterday, I forwarded the photos my husband had taken of the neighborhood to my tough-as-nails, raised in Rosedale, NY Mother-in-law, and she responded very negatively. She showed the photos to her co-workers at the District of Sanitation and they said they wouldn't live there. But everyone agrees, it is a stunning house that has been meticulously restored.

My husband also looked around in the 4th and Gill / Old North Knoxville neighborhood, and relayed that it felt much better to him. What can I say - we're newly married, he's newly employed and moving his family across the country, planning to have some kids. I think his gut is feeling a little less adventurous than my own. And I trust him. I tend to be pretty optimistic and take chances, which is well-tempered by his skepticism and caution.

For example, one aspect of the Parkridge neighborhood that my husband focused upon was the number of dogs he observed tied up in front of houses. He pointed out to me, correctly, that I wouldn't like that, and it would drive our dogs crazy on a daily basis. It is true, and something I might not have considered.

JMT, thank you for your insight. I was hoping to hear, in particular, from someone who knew residents and who visited frequently. I was rather hoping to move laterally if not up, in terms of neighborhood safety. Pasadena, even "south of the 210" and "west of Rosemead" (delineations of socioeconomic status 'round here) has its share of robbery, assault, and prostitution. Every year, immediately before the Rose Parade, the Pasadena police crack down on the vagrants along the parade route. I'm not sure what they do with her, but the woman who has slept in the Post Office vestibule for the last 3+ years is temporarily removed. The petty theft and break-ins have increased as the economy has worsened. It is actually the reason why we have two large, protective dogs.

Again, thank you all for responding. While I agree that there is no substitute for seeing a neighborhood with your own two eyes, there has been some valuable insight provided by your replies. It is very much appreciated.
Where did you end up moving to?

Old 01-18-2018, 07:48 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFisher View Post
Where did you end up moving to?
They haven't been on City Data in seven years!

Old 01-19-2018, 08:17 AM

59 posts, read 68,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
They haven't been on City Data in seven years!
Too bad. I knew it had been awhile, but was hoping they would be passing through. I've been reading the Parkridge Community Organization website: https://goo.gl/5XXELL and their FB page: https://goo.gl/MrgkT7 , so I've been learning a lot about the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville