Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 07:14 AM

340 posts, read 1,188,871 times

Advertisements

Hi, guys! You have been a treasure trove of great info, so I'm hoping someone can give me some input.

I love fried catfish every now and then, being a MS native, and so much of the nation's catfish coming from there . I know there's a C O C K of the Walk in Nashville, which we love, but I'm hoping to find a good catfish restaurant closer than two hours from the Knoxville area.

We love crispy fried fillets with the trimmings. The only place I've found so far that has good tasting fried catfish is Cowboy's over in Dandridge, and even that's not consistent. Aubrey's (Knoxville & Maryville) has a 'fancified' catfish that's good, but I long for just the simple fried catfish.

Anybody got a place they can recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2007, 09:01 AM

358 posts, read 999,381 times
Well, Barb, wish I could help but, having been born and raised in N.O. and living 20 years in MS, I can't STAND to even taste catfish or red beans (tho, not bragging since I don't know what they taste like, but I've been told I make great red beans!). I had PB&J sandwiches on red beans and rice nights while I was growing up. In fact, don't care much for watermelon so I'd get a snoball when the family went to the watermelon stand. Hey, thanks for the chance to relive some memories!

Old 06-07-2007, 09:17 AM

13,351 posts, read 39,950,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbG View Post
Hi, guys! You have been a treasure trove of great info, so I'm hoping someone can give me some input.

I love fried catfish every now and then, being a MS native, and so much of the nation's catfish coming from there . I know there's a C O C K of the Walk in Nashville, which we love, but I'm hoping to find a good catfish restaurant closer than two hours from the Knoxville area.

We love crispy fried fillets with the trimmings. The only place I've found so far that has good tasting fried catfish is Cowboy's over in Dandridge, and even that's not consistent. Aubrey's (Knoxville & Maryville) has a 'fancified' catfish that's good, but I long for just the simple fried catfish.

Anybody got a place they can recommend?
Well this might be a little far to drive, but if you want an adventure, there's a floating restaurant on Center Hill Lake that serves fresh catfish caught right there in the lake. It is sooooooo good. It's called Cookeville Boat Dock. It's nothing fancy, in fact it's the kind of place where you can walk in wearing just a bathing suit. But the catfish is outstanding, the hushpuppies are hot and not greasy, and the people who work there are delightful. And the backdrop is really beautiful, right there in a secluded part of the lake.

Old 06-07-2007, 09:17 AM

LOL, inave, but were those good memories?

I know what you mean about N.O. and red beans & rice on Mondays. It's a law, I think. My step-mother was from N.O. and we had that on Mondays, fried chicken on Sundays, like clock-work. She DID make the best fried chicken, though.

Last edited by BarbG; 06-07-2007 at 09:37 AM..

Old 06-07-2007, 09:25 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,408,842 times
Two places I can think of:

1. Lefty's Barbecue in Fairfield Glade has catfish on the menu, though I didn't try it. If it's anything like their other selections it should be amazing. Not very "East" though...

2. I remember reading in one of my Tennessee books about a restaurant (and I think, campground) where you can catch your own catfish and they'll cook it up for you. I don't believe you have to catch your own--I think they have some on hand as well. I think it may have been the Crosseyed Cricket in the Loudon/Kingston area (we kept going by the signs for the Cricket while we were down there). I'm not positive, I'll check when I get home. But, also not all that "East".

Good luck!

Old 06-07-2007, 09:33 AM

9 posts, read 34,550 times
My hubby likes Carver's which is on Hwy 321 in Cosby...

Old 06-07-2007, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Well this might be a little far to drive, but if you want an adventure, there's a floating restaurant on Center Hill Lake that serves fresh catfish caught right there in the lake. It is sooooooo good. It's called Cookeville Boat Dock. It's nothing fancy, in fact it's the kind of place where you can walk in wearing just a bathing suit. But the catfish is outstanding, the hushpuppies are hot and not greasy, and the people who work there are delightful. And the backdrop is really beautiful, right there in a secluded part of the lake.
We will definitely have to check this out! We don't mind driving for a good meal, especially in a beautiful setting

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
Two places I can think of:

1. Lefty's Barbecue in Fairfield Glade has catfish on the menu, though I didn't try it. If it's anything like their other selections it should be amazing. Not very "East" though...

2. I remember reading in one of my Tennessee books about a restaurant (and I think, campground) where you can catch your own catfish and they'll cook it up for you. I don't believe you have to catch your own--I think they have some on hand as well. I think it may have been the Crosseyed Cricket in the Loudon/Kingston area (we kept going by the signs for the Cricket while we were down there). I'm not positive, I'll check when I get home. But, also not all that "East".

Good luck!
And we were just at Fairfield Glade the other weekend. I will have to write that one down. Thanks for the input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrickmgtdotcom View Post
My hubby likes Carver's which is on Hwy 321 in Cosby...
We go down that way from time to time. Will definitely have to try it out. Thanks!

Old 06-07-2007, 09:49 AM

9 posts, read 34,550 times
Hubby also suggests the Bullfish Grill and Calhouns in Pigeon Forge :-)

Old 06-07-2007, 01:25 PM

141 posts, read 981,464 times
Allison's Catfish Restaurant is just outside Maryville off US321. Turn left on Lane Drive and drive a half-mile or so until you see it. It's only open Fri-Sat night, FYI.

Very tasty...but a little bit pricey. But then again, I think a meal at a restaurant ought to cost no more than $10 unless it's super fancy, so I may not be the best judge of price.

If you want the BEST catfish ANYWHERE, then you will have to go over to Reelfoot Lake and eat at Boyette's Dining Room or the Blue Bank Fish House, both in Tiptonville. I prefer Boyette's, but both are top-notch. Mmmmmm.....fried catfish, white beans, onion rings to die for. Makes me want to do the 6 hour drive just for dinner!

Old 06-07-2007, 03:19 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,273,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post

Good luck!
Last I heard, the Cross-eyed Cricket closed it's restaurant since the owners are in semi-retirement. The campground is still open.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville