Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 11:34 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,104,290 times

Advertisements

Just as a point of information, the Hope Scholarships in Tennessee makes sending a child to ANY of the state colleges very affordable, as in next to nothing. Add in another grant or scholarship and it will not cost a thing. And I mean colleges like UT.

I have no idea about the graduation rate of that specific college. I can check the stats though. If it is accurate, it says nothing about the students of Sevier County - and I am sure the majority of them go off to college somewhere else - but of that particular community college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 12:12 PM

I found it. Sevier County high school grads, private school grads, or GED holders do get a scholarship. It is through Walters State College in Morristown. There is a branch in Sevier.

Scholarships at Walters State Community College

I found their retention rate and it is a far cry from what was stated.

Full-Time 58 %
Part-Time 38 %

And bear in mind that Walters State is in Morristown, a very impoverished town.

Moderator cut: link removed

For all prospective TN students, here is what you need to do to get to attend a state college for next to nothing. I always wondered if this included adults. It may say on this website.

College Pays - We Can Get You There.

Last edited by Yac; 06-30-2010 at 06:56 AM.. Reason: Moved around some text and links to make it more understandable.

Old 04-16-2010, 07:27 AM

374 posts, read 941,529 times
Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I found it. Sevier County high school grads, private school grads, or GED holders do get a scholarship. It is through Walters State College in Morristown. There is a branch in Sevier.

Scholarships at Walters State Community College

I found their retention rate and it is a far cry from what was stated.

Full-Time 58 %
Part-Time 38 %

And bear in mind that Walters State is in Morristown, a very impoverished town.

Moderator cut: link removed

For all prospective TN students, here is what you need to do to get to attend a state college for next to nothing. I always wondered if this included adults. It may say on this website.

College Pays - We Can Get You There.
Thanks for researching this! Walter State also has a satellite campus in Sevierville.

Last edited by Yac; 06-30-2010 at 06:56 AM..

Old 04-17-2010, 06:34 AM

2,116 posts, read 6,791,147 times
I am not sure where my friend got 12% from, but she didn't make it up. We don't know what the specifics were in order to analyze it. On this web page it generalizes that 19% of adults in Sevier County have a college degree. Many more have ATTENDED college, I'm sure. The state average is 18%.
Sevier County High School - Sevierville, Tennessee/TN - Public School Profile

Hopefully there's a way to find it out for every state, cause that's pretty interesting information.

Old 04-17-2010, 06:43 AM

16,174 posts, read 32,375,194 times
Not to get off topic but I wanted to chime in about Hope Scholarships as I have two in college in TN. The Hope helps but it no way covers the costs of college. There are so many other fees that aren't covered, in addition to books, that it still takes a lot to go to college. With rising tuition costs the Hope really needs to be revised as well in what it awards students. The Hopes are good, and welcome money, but they aren't the end all. Also, we have to apply for the Hope and it is a long and arduous application, each year, in order to obtain the Hope. Also, once awarded the Hope the student still must meet certain criteria to keep the Hope. Of course some colleges are cheaper than others and more affordable. Pellissippi comes to mind but even that is only a 2 year college and the students must go to the higher priced institutions in order to graduate with a BS.

There are scholarships out there but parents and students really need to work at these. The days of the guidance counselor helping in anyway are over. This isn't to slam guidance counselors but those positions have been cut over time and the few counselors left are busy with other things for the most part.

So, in looking at Seymour, or any school district, look at things such as % of Hope, % or dollars of other scholarships awarded, etc.

Old 04-17-2010, 07:17 AM

745 posts, read 1,711,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
There are so many other fees that aren't covered, in addition to books, that it still takes a lot to go to college. With rising tuition costs the Hope really needs to be revised as well in what it awards students. The Hopes are good, and welcome money, but they aren't the end all.
No, they wouldn't be, nor would most other types of scholarships/college assistance programs. They are tuition/resource assistance grants.

Old 04-17-2010, 07:28 AM

16,174 posts, read 32,375,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weisgarber1 View Post
No, they wouldn't be, nor would most other types of scholarships/college assistance programs. They are tuition/resource assistance grants.
Thanks, exactly the point I was trying to make. There are very few full rides it truly is difficult to find a college financial experience for next to nothing. I think the lottery people especially have done a great job of peddling that to people in order to make their lottery program less controversial but the truth is that it has created a lot of problems as much as it has helped folks.

Some school districts provide more help with this forecast than others. Not sure what kind of support Seymour or Sevier County provides. Since part of Seymour is in Blount Co I guess we should include them as well.

Old 04-17-2010, 09:02 AM

13,337 posts, read 39,775,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevil View Post
I am not sure where my friend got 12% from, but she didn't make it up. We don't know what the specifics were in order to analyze it. On this web page it generalizes that 19% of adults in Sevier County have a college degree. Many more have ATTENDED college, I'm sure. The state average is 18%.
Sevier County High School - Sevierville, Tennessee/TN - Public School Profile

Hopefully there's a way to find it out for every state, cause that's pretty interesting information.
No, that web page says that 19% of adults in the 37862 ZIP code (Sevierville) have college degrees. 22% of adults in the Seymour ZIP code (37865) have college degrees. This thread is about Seymour, not Sevierville. And that figure of 22% isn't a whole lot lower than the national average of 25%.

Interestingly, that same web site shows that Tennessee's median household income ($37,483) is higher than the national average ($36,135) even though fewer Tennesseans have college degrees than the national average. And Seymour's median household income ($40,691) is even higher.

Clearly, having a college degree by no means is a true indication of one's ability to make a good living. And I'm speaking as a college professor.

Let's not forget that many, many people take courses at a community college just for fun, or just to brush up on some skills and have no plans to actually complete a degree. So even if that absurd claim is true that only 12% of community college students complete their degree, so what?

Old 04-17-2010, 09:56 AM

What I put up was a link to all grant and scholarship monies. The HOPE scholarship is just one - albeit a large one - of many, many programs. If you want, you can get into college for next to nothing or nothing, although some of them are based on financial need or performance.

I have a 16-year-old and I am just getting "friendly" with all of this information, and I understand that there is much more than just tuition that is involved as I suspect many parents do, also. But there seems to be a lot more funding available in TN as opposed to MA, and perhaps other states, and my daughter's dad works at a state college in MA!

It is unfortunate that guidance counselors are not very helpful but I know that in my day (1979-1980), back in MA, they were completely useless. And there was very little money around, too. Most of it was based on need and if your parents weren't signing a loan, you were out of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville