U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-05-2010, 07:51 AM

6 posts, read 5,256 times

Advertisements

GF car got broken into last night. That is twice for her, twice for me in less than two years, and we live across the street from Yale even.

What are the suburb towns I should be looking for on craigslist for housing for the west side? I know that Oak Ridge is probably the western limit, which towns are in between that are near the shopping centers?

I've had enough of the downtown urban living. I is convenient for going out for a meal or drink, but traffic, parking, and crime sure detracts from it.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 11:14 AM

5,551 posts, read 9,205,469 times
You're probably going to want to look closer-in than you realize. Knoxville is not like an urban northeastern city. Oak Ridge is a good ways out. There aren't really any "towns" between it and Knoxville.

I would say consider Oak Ridge and Maryville (depending on your finances - Maryville tends to be expensive, which again is relative) but also look at Farragut and west Knoxville neighborhoods east of Pellissippi Parkway - Bluegrass, Northshore, Middlebrook Pike, Hardin Valley, and even Bearden.

Old 05-05-2010, 11:41 AM

3,374 posts, read 3,841,741 times
Karns is about 2/3 the way from Knoxville to Oak ridge. It's your best bet for traffic convenience but doesn't have much in the way of restaurant amenities. If it's your lifestyle to dine out at a different place several times a week, then you are better off closer to Kingston pike, but if you envision yourself going out once a week, Karns would be a good choice. It is more of a rural character that has subdivisions for the OR commuter crowd.

P.S. I moved from the New haven (Branford) area 51 years ago and haven't had any regrets. Not that I had any choice in the matter, just go where the parents take you.

If upon further reflection you do reconsider an urban lifestyle, there are plenty of areas in Knoxville where crime is not likely to be a problem.

Old 05-05-2010, 05:58 PM

Thanks for the info. I came from Overland Park, KS, which is like a suburbia paradise if you like that thing. High incomes, low crime, great schools...and pricey homes, but you can't get everything.

Old 05-06-2010, 05:43 AM

3,328 posts, read 10,726,004 times
Looking on Craigslist for housing without visiting the area is kind of like trying to pick a mail order bride from a catalog that has no photos and only 7 word descriptions.

You need to visit and see: 1. if you can get a job, and 2. if Knoxville is a good fit for you. While you are here, you can see for yourself what areas might be right for you.

As far as traffic goes...I came from Los Angeles, so even on its worst day, Knoxville does not even come close to L.A. traffic. However, I have heard many people complain about the horrible traffic here. It's all in perspective.

I live in Karns. To give you an idea of driving times, it takes me about 12 minutes to get into Oak Ridge, 20 minutes to get to i-75/Emory Road area of Powell (Sushi Spot - Five Guys etc), and about 15 minutes to get to Cedar Bluff area or Turkey Creek, or Downtown.

Old 05-06-2010, 05:56 AM

40 posts, read 64,672 times
Default refugees

I tell everyone here I am a refugee from NJ.High cost for low living.
My advice is to rent a nice place and spend some time looking around.
Knox metro has a wealth of beautiful neighborhoods,some new,
some old,Dogwood trail hoods are awesome!
Course we ended up in beautiful Seymour,where i built a Post and Beam up on a wooded hill. In NJ I would be paying $12,000 a yr taxes and an exit tax when I left.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:45 AM

I'm trying to get the motivation up enough to do a drive down 4th July weekend (4 day weekend here), just not that excited about 800 miles, 2 days and 800 miles. Being prior military, I've rented places sight unseen before, so that won't be anything new.

Old 05-11-2010, 06:50 AM

3 posts, read 2,284 times
We drove down to the Knoxville area from Stafford Springs, CT. We went 84 to 81.. we stopped 6 times and it took 11 1/2 hours. We left at 5:30 on a friday morning and arrived at 7:00. It was a nice ride, no trafffic and will be doing it again this summer. We decided to build in Karns. My husband is retiring from the Navy and we are moving there. Totally worth the trip and we ended up buying in an area we hadn't even looked at initially. Make the drive it's worth it.

Old 05-11-2010, 08:05 AM

2,065 posts, read 3,271,463 times
We probably lived an hour further north/west in NY and did the trip in 12 hours flat (with stops for food and gas) multiple times on long weekends while house hunting and moving. Since we're 'retired folk' now I suspect you'll be able to endure it just as well! Nupete had the right idea; I-81 was the easiest and quickest way to head down and probably a zig zag through NJ to get there will work for you as well. Leave by 3 AM to get through the NYmetro area before traffic builds and you should be OK. You'll hit rush hour somewhere or another but at least not NYC traffic.

Knox and surrounding towns will be a breath of fresh air for you after your experience in New Haven. It's not so much that there is no crime (that Shangri-la doesn't exist anywhere) but that there is much less, and people are much more polite and friendly here.

Thanks for your service to our country.

Old 05-11-2010, 08:10 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,555,103 times
Go ahead and take the trip down. I bet you're going to fall in love with TN. I'm from NY/CT. TN is a great place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville