U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2007, 09:16 AM

10 posts, read 23,971 times

Advertisements

My fiancé and I are looking forward to getting out of Florida and starting a new life together in Tennessee area, specifically; Knoxville, maryville, Sevierville, Pigeon Forge, newport, Greeneville and Elizabethton. Eveything I have rea says nothing but great things about all these places! However! Could someone perhaps guide us to which one might be more suited for us? We are in our mid 30’s and I have 10 year old son. I need a highly rated elementary school, close to populated areas for shopping and yet quiet.

We plan on taking a trip up there for a week in Late July early Aug of this year. Moving to another state can be frustrating when you don’t know where to start and are not familiar with were you want to go. Some personable help would be refreshing. This forum is great because I really get a feel for good areas and problem here is that they ALL seem good! So I do not know were to start and I just can't believe that ALL these places have no faults? It is very important to me that my son have a good environment to grow up in-he plays soccer and is an honor roll student and I would like to keep him on this path. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2007, 09:47 AM

340 posts, read 1,065,380 times
I don't have children, but live in Maryville, after moving to TN two years ago. Maryville has a top notch school system, and is a very sports oriented community.

I would suggest visiting several times, checking out the areas, and seeing what you like and dislike about each. We travelled here for 20 years before moving here. We don't regret the move.

Good luck on your search!

Edited to add: Every place you move has it's down sides. But for the most part, alot of that is personal preference. That's why I suggested visiting.

Old 06-14-2007, 10:42 AM

2,109 posts, read 5,146,648 times
I'd probably scratch Pigeon Forge and Sevierville as both are tourist Black holes.

Old 06-14-2007, 01:07 PM

10 posts, read 23,971 times
Thank you: BarbG and sliverbox any and all comments and opinions are welcome. Well, minus Pigeon Forge and Sevierville, the main places we are looking at are Knoxville, Maryville, Newport, Greeneville, and Elizabethton. Any comments about these places? We are looking to be out of the way but not so far that we have to drive an hour to do shopping but we enjoy quiet no busy city life.

Old 06-14-2007, 01:27 PM

2,017 posts, read 4,813,216 times
We visited here numerous times before moving here from another state. At first we wanted to live in Pgeon Forge/ Sieverville area and even seriously looked at real estate to buy. But we realized the traffic and living in tourist towns was going to be a serious flaw if we lived there full time.
So we originally landed in Knoxville(East town), then moved out to Corryton and loved Corryton for the convenience of the shopping in Knoxville and it was still rural. We've since moved out to Dandridge and Dandridge is very rural but still about 30 minutes to Knoxville and next to Pigeon Forge/Sevierville, so we hop over there and play tourist every so often. But we always end up saying how glad we don't live there, it is great to visit, but we would hate that traffic everyday.
You can't beat the friendliness of this area either or the natural beauty.
Lots of luck in your search,
Pam
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or