U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 11:50 AM

47 posts, read 276,225 times

Advertisements

I used to go up to Gatlinburg a lot with my family when I was younger. Are there any jobs up there where people can get and afford to live in this quaint small town? Or is it really just all based on tourism and difficult for an average joe to relocate there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2007, 12:49 PM

141 posts, read 673,442 times
It is ALL tourism, and always has been. But to be honest, Gatlinburg is probably the nicer place to live in that area anymore...Pigeon Forge is Hell, and Sevierville is going that way. Traffic Traffic TRAFFIC.

If I wanted to move out that way, I'd seriously look at Cosby or Townsend. Much quieter places. The jobs are still all tourism related, though.

Old 06-14-2007, 12:51 PM

336 posts, read 785,620 times
I agree with Milo. Most of the jobs in the area are tourism-related. If that is what you are looking for, then you should have no trouble finding a job.

Old 06-14-2007, 10:01 PM

111 posts, read 254,179 times
Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge & Sevierville have all changed. The only time we even attempt to go there is for Rod Runs and Shades. I'm not sure how long it's been since you've been there but it's not that same. I'm late 40s and I barely recognise it. Our house faces the Smokies and we see it everyday, can most times even tell if their getting rain, except for smog days. Might want to rethink that.

Old 09-11-2007, 08:42 PM

1 posts, read 16,012 times
Does anyone have anything good to say about the area. I'ver pretty much always lived & worked in tourist areas, and work in the Hotel Ind. So I've already discovered Jobs are no problem, but is there any afforable housing or rooms to rent in Gatlinburg area ? I'm from Hurrican Alley in Florida, I miss the mountains and fishing streams and hear they are great in that area, please give me anything positive if you know of anything. Thanks,
Sherry

Old 09-11-2007, 08:57 PM

2,173 posts, read 5,035,148 times
There's a little town near there called Pittman Center.
Pittman Center, Tennessee
There was a story about it in the paper several years ago. Seemed like a nice place to live. But I don't know if there are apartments or long term rentals. Development and building is very limited there.
National Trust for Historic Preservations has honored it as a distinctive destination.
Dozen Distinctive Destinations | Pittman Center, Tennessee (http://www.nationaltrust.org/dozen_distinctive_destinations/list.asp?i=45 - broken link)

Old 10-28-2008, 04:07 PM

1 posts, read 15,150 times
My wife and I go to Gatlinburg a couple of times each year and would also like to move there. Problem I've found is that long term rentals seem to be scarce and property is expensive to buy...at least for me. There seems to be plenty of employment opportunities (tourist related) depending on what you might want to do.

I plan to retire next year and I am looking at the possibilities of living there and getting a less pressurized job than I now have. (I'm currently a Comptroller) I did live not too far from Gatlinburg for about 6 months many years ago and fell in love with the area and the people there. That's why I try to visit as often as I can. Maryville appears to be the most affordable city to find dwelling but it is closer to Townsend than Gatlinburg. Townsend property is also expensive. Personally I plan to go anyway and find a way to live there.

Old 10-31-2008, 05:07 PM

321 posts, read 612,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo Bloom View Post
It is ALL tourism, and always has been. But to be honest, Gatlinburg is probably the nicer place to live in that area anymore...Pigeon Forge is Hell, and Sevierville is going that way. Traffic Traffic TRAFFIC.

If I wanted to move out that way, I'd seriously look at Cosby or Townsend. Much quieter places. The jobs are still all tourism related, though.

Why is Pigeon Forge "hell?"

Old 10-31-2008, 07:19 PM

12,546 posts, read 18,491,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConceivedinKY51 View Post
Why is Pigeon Forge "hell?"
Doubt that you will get an answer from that member; they are not active here anymore. This thread is from June 2007 and was recently revived.

Old 11-02-2008, 05:19 AM

812 posts, read 767,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
Doubt that you will get an answer from that member; they are not active here anymore. This thread is from June 2007 and was recently revived.
They might not get the answer from the member in question, but I'll gladly put in my two cents on this one.

PF=hell because it is the epitome of kitschy tourist traps all lining the strip. What should be a 6 lane, 55 MPH road is 6 lanes with a speed limit of 35 MPH, and during the daytime 'in season' your lucky if you crack 20 MPH due to incompetent drivers. If you are prone to seizures related to flashing lights, the signage will be a problem. It's wall to wall with flashing signs, and ton's of ma and pa businesses desperate to take your money for things you'd never spend it on in your right mind in your home town (and at 2-3 times the price in some cases). It's an eyesore, and that's coming from someone who thought it was ok....about 30 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville