Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 09:07 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,348,438 times

Advertisements

I'm noticing a trend recently. People arriving in the area and expecting the local area to bend and blend with them. When it is the newly arrived transplant that needs to do the bending and blending.
This post doesn't sound legit. This post sounds like the made up version to make someones life have a bit more drama to it. I have never found any locals to treat me rudely or give bad customer service. I suspect it is all in how one treats others and if these posts present and past are any indication of the persons attitude that is projected towards others, then no surprise one is treated poorly.
I doubt any state would make anyone happy when negativity prevails in ones life. So don't blame it on the Tennesseans, look in the mirror.
Pam

Old 05-22-2010, 09:10 AM

745 posts, read 1,718,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam& Bill View Post
I'm noticing a trend recently. People arriving in the area and expecting the local area to bend and blend with them. When it is the newly arrived transplant that needs to do the bending and blending.
This post doesn't sound legit. This post sounds like the made up version to make someones life have a bit more drama to it. I have never found any locals to treat me rudely or give bad customer service. I suspect it is all in how one treats others and if these posts present and past are any indication of the persons attitude that is projected towards others, then no surprise one is treated poorly.
I doubt any state would make anyone happy when negativity prevails in ones life. So don't blame it on the Tennesseans, look in the mirror.
Pam

Old 05-22-2010, 09:34 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,583,688 times
That doesn't sound like it's the case with the OP.

Quote:
I've smiled and been pleasant and courteous to everyone I've come in contact with

Old 05-22-2010, 10:03 AM

199 posts, read 521,083 times
This is an honest question, and before anyone jumps at me, know that I'm a born and bred Knoxville native-- not a transplant.

Why is it that when someone has a negative experience, the locals automatically assume it must be a problem with that person? I've seen this happen all my life. As far as I can tell, there is no one place where the entire population is overly nice and kind. Sometimes individual persons and even groups are just nasty people, including some Knoxvillians and those of the surrounding area. Not everyone who comes here and has a bad experience invites it.

Old 05-22-2010, 10:27 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,348,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airwair View Post
This is an honest question, and before anyone jumps at me, know that I'm a born and bred Knoxville native-- not a transplant.

Why is it that when someone has a negative experience, the locals automatically assume it must be a problem with that person? I've seen this happen all my life. As far as I can tell, there is no one place where the entire population is overly nice and kind. Sometimes individual persons and even groups are just nasty people, including some Knoxvillians and those of the surrounding area. Not everyone who comes here and has a bad experience invites it.
Airwair, Pearls of wisdom and very true what you point out. I'm speaking for myself here. But this post isn't the first negative post this poster has put on this board. In fact based upon what this poster has posted in the past, I'd bet the farm that it is their fault or at least drama to enrich ones life. But it is all speculative as I wasn't there to witness it.
Human nature being what it is, I'd say the farms safe.
Pam

Old 05-22-2010, 01:59 PM

745 posts, read 1,718,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airwair View Post

Why is it that when someone has a negative experience, the locals automatically assume it must be a problem with that person?
I've seen this happen all my life. As far as I can tell, there is no one place where the entire population is overly nice and kind. Sometimes individual persons and even groups are just nasty people, including some Knoxvillians and those of the surrounding area. Not everyone who comes here and has a bad experience invites it.
Have you ever considered that many people who read the forum automatically go to a/the complainer's previous forum posts to get an idea of whether their criticism might be warranted or not, or whether the complainer has a history of just being negative, for whatever reason(s).

Old 05-22-2010, 02:38 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,486,336 times
to the posts above ^

Back on topic we should go, I suppose.

(get it? it rhymes, haha)

Old 05-22-2010, 02:59 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,293,104 times
Both Maryville AND Oak Ridge full of rude people? Now I have only lived here since 94, but I have not found this type of attitude or response. Quite the contrary.
Kroger checker going on and on?? Wow, they should consider themselves lucky that they got THAT much interaction. Maybe the checker was hitting on them and wasn't very good at it.

Have to say that OP experience is far different than what I see every day. Maybe its the OP's fault, maybe they are just lucky enough to hit each of these people on their bad day.

Old 05-22-2010, 03:05 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,859,552 times
So far it seems its people in the govt/banking offices and a guy that owned an apartment I was inquring about that were rude. Maybe it has something to do with them having to interact with so many people moving into the area. I've heard several tirades from family members since I've arrived about all the d*mn Yankees and Hispanics coming here and "ruining" the place. I just keep quiet. I didn't come here to change anyone. I came here only for my parents sake and will probably leave again after they die. That said I found an old high school friend yesterday who said "thank God you are back" and that she has felt so alone all these years never fitting in even in her own town. I also had lunch with one of those darn Yankees who was loads of fun and she wasn't conspiring to change the town as far as I know. I've yet to see any Hispanics so I don't understand all the hoopla about them taking over.

Anyways people I've met at the library have been extremely kind as was waitresses at several restaurants in Maryville and Knox. Even had a child hold a door open for me which was surprising. So not everyone is mean, but the first few I interacted with who were rude to me just because I was exchanging an Arizona license for a Tenn license was very upsetting. A friend who has lived in Memphis for months just told me she is going through living hell trying to get a TN license after moving from NJ so maybe its just something bad going on at the motor vehicle dept.

Though maybe some of what I am experiencing is just the hypocritical nature of some here. I've heard this from family members such generalizations that ALL people who live in apartments are trash... so guess that makes me trash for looking for an apt. lol Just like I was told all Arizonians are criminals by another man.

Old 05-22-2010, 03:50 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,130,473 times
You expected people at any DMV to be nice?
I think it's a rule they have to be surly and uncooperative to every one, not just people from AZ. (Memphis DMV has been particularly uptight since their involvement in 9/11 and it's always a PITA to deal with them.)

Maybe the stress of moving, especially if it's not a move you made whole heartedly, has made you more sensitive to perceived slights?
Not that there aren't rude jerks everywhere, including TN, but that maybe some things just hit you the wrong way because you aren't all that happy about the situation to begin with.
It can be hard not to seem negative about a lot of things when you are in a place you don't really want to be. Hope you settle in and things get better for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville