Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 02:43 PM

3 posts, read 6,422 times

Advertisements

We have had enough of northern winters! Want a condo for the winter months maybe ~$125,000. Older neighborhood fine. We are used to walking to shop eat etc.!
What neighborhoods might we concentrate on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 07:57 PM

49 posts, read 129,080 times
Not sure about Cruces, but I would suggest you come out and rent for the winter next year before you make up your mind that"this is the place". New Mexico is not for all, and it sure is different from NYC. Come rent and check out the neighborhoods for yourself.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:46 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,526,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plschwartz View Post
We have had enough of northern winters! Want a condo for the winter months maybe ~$125,000. Older neighborhood fine. We are used to walking to shop eat etc.!
I think the area around the university is nice - but also if you like older - there's Old Mesilla which is very nice. Northern people tired of snow and cold weather tend to love this part of the country. It's so nice because if you do get homesick for weather, you can drive and see snow or ski in just a couple hours. And it's not nearly as hot in the summers as other places like Arizona and Florida.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:06 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,631,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I think the area around the university is nice - but also if you like older - there's Old Mesilla which is very nice. Northern people tired of snow and cold weather tend to love this part of the country. It's so nice because if you do get homesick for weather, you can drive and see snow or ski in just a couple hours. And it's not nearly as hot in the summers as other places like Arizona and Florida.
I would vote for Mesilla as well. There is beautiful new apartment/condo complex on Avenida de Mesilla, within your price range, that would put you within NYC walking distance to shops, restaurants, art galleries, the Plaza, etc.

Mesilla, New Mexico, USA

Just one thing to note: while we do not get the precip that you get in NYC, it can get cold here in the winter. As a native NYer myself, the simple fact that one does not have trudge across lakes of ice-cold slush or scale snow drifts to get around makes a world of difference. And, if you are like me and prefer somewhere with four seasons - yes, leaves do change color here - this area is a wonderful place to winter

Old 06-11-2010, 02:53 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,816,809 times
And, if you are like me and prefer somewhere with four seasons - yes, leaves do change color here - this area is a wonderful place to winter.

You prefer four seasons, but you live in LC? Interesting.....

Until this past winter (which was wonderful, snowier and colder than usual for this area in recent years), it seemed to me that LC and Alamo had only 2 seasons--early spring going right into early summer, with very little fall or winter to speak of!

I wish every winter and fall could be like the ones we just had.

Old 06-11-2010, 06:16 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,631,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
And, if you are like me and prefer somewhere with four seasons - yes, leaves do change color here - this area is a wonderful place to winter.

You prefer four seasons, but you live in LC? Interesting.....

Until this past winter (which was wonderful, snowier and colder than usual for this area in recent years), it seemed to me that LC and Alamo had only 2 seasons--early spring going right into early summer, with very little fall or winter to speak of!

I wish every winter and fall could be like the ones we just had.
Sure. LC clearly has four seasons. The cherry trees (for example) bloom (spring) and then produce fruit (summer). Then the leaves change color (autumn) and finally fall off (winter).
The main difference between here and NY/NJ is that the blooming starts earlier and the changing starts later. But still four seasons to me. The temps aren't as much as indicator of seasons to me as what's going on with the vegetation

Old 06-12-2010, 07:56 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,816,809 times
That makes sense.

I'm much more aware of temperature.

Old 06-12-2010, 08:59 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,904,880 times
Actually, I think of my locale as having FIVE seasons:

Winter, with occasional frozen precip.

Spring, with virtually constant annoying winds/dust.

Summer, with high heat and low humidity in mid afternoon, and arid.

Monsoon, lasting from July to mid September with reliable thunderstorms.

Fall, the most glorious time of year IMO, from Sept to late Nov.

Old 06-12-2010, 06:57 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,653,026 times
We are moving back to Maine, where there are 4 seasons: winter, from October to March, mud season from March to June, summer (July and August, sometimes only August) and fall, the best season of all.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:46 PM

1,399 posts, read 4,170,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plschwartz View Post
If condos work for you this place, very near Old Mesilla, might be right for you. New construction, walking distance to Mesilla and a short drive to your basic stores and an Albertsons. I think they're making pretty good deals on these for sale, and there are seasonal rentals as well.
Villa Esperanza Condominiums are Las Cruces New Mexico's Premier Luxury Condominiums in a Gated Community
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces