Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2010, 10:55 AM

21 posts, read 84,559 times

Advertisements

If you could subjectively and/or objectively sum up the following areas in LC with a few words (to help people in relocating), what would you say? On behalf of all newcomers, thank you!

Dona Ana:
Sonoma Ranch:
High Range:
Foothills:
Telshore:
Elks/Country Club:
Del Ray:
Mesa Grande:
South of I-70:
Organ:
Picacho Hills:
Mesilla:
Soledad Canyon/Las Alturas:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 04:23 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,668,304 times
I lived in Sonoma Ranch, so that's the place I can sum up: bland, middle -upper class, safe (relatively speaking), cookie cutter, dusty (at least our place right next to the desert -- yuck -- major dust blown in all year.)

Old 07-20-2010, 11:09 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times
It would be helpful if you could give an idea of the sort of info you are looking for.
From my perspective, there isn't much overall difference between, say, Telshor, Las Alturas, Sonoma Ranch and High Range other than age of the housing stock and proximity to shopping, major thoroughfares, etc.

When I was looking, I narrowed my search to the 88011 zip code, which included the four areas I listed, then further narrowed by price and lot size. I found that Las Alturas and High Range offered the most options to choose from, and then ultimately that High Range was just a better fit personally (better access to public transportation, parks, minutes to the hospital...)
I am still very happy with my choice. The neighborhood is very safe, very quiet, and everyone is very friendly. The houses are not right on top of each other. There is a good mix of ages from young families to seniors. There are good sidewalks, the streets are always clean and even though we are right off of Roadrunner Pkwy, once I turn the corner onto my street it is like I am no longer in the city.
Pretty nice.

Old 08-17-2010, 02:32 PM

21 posts, read 84,559 times
Thank you all for your help.
....still house hunting

Old 08-19-2010, 09:07 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,795,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lascrucesnow View Post
If you could subjectively and/or objectively sum up the following areas in LC with a few words (to help people in relocating), what would you say? On behalf of all newcomers, thank you!

Dona Ana:New homes abutted by trailers, hardscrabble, zoning absent
Sonoma Ranch:Probably my favorite neighborhood, but very expensive
High Range:Less expensive than Sonoma Ranch, very centrally located
Foothills:Even more centrally located than High Range, some multi-dwelling units
Telshore:Not a big fan of, personally. West of Telshor and east of I-25 is less attractive than east of Telshor.
Elks/Country Club:Elks is next to Dona Ana. There are some spotty areas here, some neighborhoods abut a pretty rough looking mobile home park.
Del Ray:A lot like Dona Ana, except you are still in the Las Cruces boundary. Settler's village is the predominant sub-division, and I don't care for it much. There's not very much character at all to the homes.
Mesa Grande:You are on the East Mesa boundary here, which means crime, trailers, abutting gatling-gun like developments which seem to start and end abruptly. Probably my least favorite area of all.
South of I-70:Where south of 70? West or East of 25?
Organ:It's almost a ghost town. Trailers up on the frontage of 70, some moderately expensive adobes right behind.
Picacho Hills:Beautiful neighborhood. I'd live there if I could afford it.
Mesilla:Some days I go there and I'm a fan, but other days, not as much. It depends on my mood. In my opinion, it's overpriced. Mesilla Park is a better option.
Soledad Canyon/Las Alturas:The wilderness. Bigger homes, and bigger acreage. If you like solitude (I do!) it's the place for you. Just plan your shopping more accordingly and don't forget anything on your list.
If I could do it again, here is the single street in the area I would choose to live on. I had no idea it existed when I enlisted the trust of my realtor. It's beautiful down here:

Canterbury Arc, Las Cruces, NM - Google Maps

Old 08-21-2010, 05:26 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,062,579 times
Wow Mike. Agree with your assessment of Canterbury Arc. I liked your brief descriptions of the other areas too. Are the per the local MLS to define areas? Reason I ask is the wife and I will be in LC and SNM in general for vacation in a couple of weeks and plan to survey LC in particular for potential retirement spot.

Old 08-22-2010, 08:39 AM

1,399 posts, read 4,179,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
Wow Mike. Agree with your assessment of Canterbury Arc. I liked your brief descriptions of the other areas too. Are the per the local MLS to define areas? Reason I ask is the wife and I will be in LC and SNM in general for vacation in a couple of weeks and plan to survey LC in particular for potential retirement spot.
Actually, you'll find a number of streets similar to Canterbury Arc in that same area. Mature trees, shrubs and cacti, large lots, well kept homes and no thru traffic to speak of. I live in Mesilla (nearby) and go thru there frequently. Nice neighborhood, and someplace I'd be looking if I were considering a move to the area.

Old 08-22-2010, 05:26 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,062,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecpatl View Post
Actually, you'll find a number of streets similar to Canterbury Arc in that same area. Mature trees, shrubs and cacti, large lots, well kept homes and no thru traffic to speak of. I live in Mesilla (nearby) and go thru there frequently. Nice neighborhood, and someplace I'd be looking if I were considering a move to the area.
Thanks Tec. We'll check it out. I have been on the LC MLS site several times and saw several homes as listed in Mesilla Park S (on West St). The thing that caught my eye on a couple were burglar bars. Are there some areas in Mesilla Park that warrant them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces