Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 09:35 AM

385 posts, read 1,555,912 times

Advertisements

I have just finished a three month hunt for a place like you describe. I ended up near Vado. As other posters have mentioned, these towns are really towns per se in that they may have a grocery store or a gas station but not much else. Their proximity to Las Cruces and El Paso make them desireable. Land is going up quickly in Dona Ana County. I don't know about Hatch as I did not look that far. One acre over in Mesa Hills/Picacho Hills was not 20,000 to 30,000-closer to 125,000.00. I stayed away from Mesilla just because its a more tourist place that can be pricey as well. The valley around La Mesa, Vado, Berino, Mesquite, Anthony, etc. are areas where you can pick up land (one to five acres) at a good price still. Often they have a mobile home on them already and if they did they were priced around 100,000.00 for one to three acres. My idea was to buy one and then haul it away after I built. But, I got lucky and found a new house on five acres in the desert above the Valley. Beautiful area with limited development as it is nestled between Fort Bliss land and BLM land. The hardest thing in New Mexico is finding your dream propety without a dilapidated mobile home being your neighbor. I don't mind mobile homes but I just want them kept up which is often not the case. It wasn't an easy search but it paid off for me. This area has just been deemed the number one pecan grower of the U.S. This is good because it means that those farmers are not going to sell out to developers easily. So, it will keep farm land as it is a little longer. Pecans are a good income too. But, it also means you are going to be paying a higher premium for this land even if you don't want to grow pecans. If it were in cotton for instance-it would be 20,000.00 an acre. Good luck on your search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2007, 08:17 AM

39 posts, read 158,013 times
Thanks KimK, I think we've kind of settled on NM as opposed to AZ simply because of the combination of weather and economy. It would appear NM is just a bit more affordable. We'll be really careful and explore in person before we buy - or may decide to rent at first while we look around.

And thanks Lascruces9011 - awesome stuff!

Old 06-27-2007, 10:36 AM

178 posts, read 801,291 times
Are you looking for a place w/ no winter and extremely hot weather for about 5 months? If so Las Cruces could be your place. However, you really won't be getting a normal spring, summer or autumn, in exchange for the "no winter". Maybe the economy is better in L.Cruces so that might be a reason you'd select las Cruces, if the other things don't matter to you. Children in many places in the southwest place outside at night, like at the playgrounds and stay inside during much of the day, if not all of the day.

Old 06-27-2007, 04:21 PM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,278,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30apples View Post
Are you looking for a place w/ no winter and extremely hot weather for about 5 months? If so Las Cruces could be your place. However, you really won't be getting a normal spring, summer or autumn, in exchange for the "no winter". Maybe the economy is better in L.Cruces so that might be a reason you'd select las Cruces, if the other things don't matter to you. Children in many places in the southwest place outside at night, like at the playgrounds and stay inside during much of the day, if not all of the day.
I'd argue with on that. You're describing Phoenix. We have a winter, albeit a mild one but it snows on ocassion and the leaves fall of the trees. I have to wear a coat out for 3 months or so. Spring = Wind so that's different (not necessarily better, but different). Fall is roasting chile and perfect temperatures. Summer has about three weeks of unbearable heat ie over 100. The rest is hot but dry and after a year or two in it you adjust. It doesn't bother me at all like 90/90 did in Northern VA.

Old 06-28-2007, 04:44 PM

Thanks, TKO. We do plan on coming to visit, and are looking at the Hatch area, actually. We are planning on the 20 to 30 range, so that about fits. Course in 1 1/2 to 2 years, the prices could go either way. We've enacted several plans to really boost our savings in the next 2 years, and if all goes at the bare minimum we should be right at our target amount. That doesn't include any interest for our CD's or anything like that - we figure by not figuring in the interest, we'll sort of account for the bumps that come along the way I'll certainly write your user name down in my diary of move info so i can contact you when we are ready for that visit.

Old 06-28-2007, 04:57 PM

271 posts, read 1,175,204 times
I would agree with the folks that are telling you about Hatch. I live up the
road from hatch near T or C but I really get tired of the 70 mile drive to LC.
Hatch is a very small farming town without much of a downtown. It might
be the closest thing that you are looking for if money is an issue. Also I do
know of a few people who commute everyday to LC from Hatch. I'm now retired from the Phoenix area and I probably wouldn't want to make a 75 mile
round trip commute everyday but it could be done. keep in mind that NM
is now the second highest gas prices in the country at this time. Just heard
that one on the Albuquerque news the other night. Also we do have winter
here and in Hatch and in LC but it is not as bad as most places in the country. If you want very little winter and hardly ever no snow you need
to check out AZ. Their taxes are higher and the summers just flat suck unless you love very hot weather. All in all I do like southern NM because it
is very laid back. In fact almost to laidback. But it isn't all that far to Cloudcroft and Ruidoso for the summer weekends and they are very nice
places to be when the temp gets out of bounds. Good luck.

Old 06-29-2007, 07:35 AM

One of the things we're trying to get away from is the extreme heat - I've had hot, and I sure don't want even hotter. I could care less about winter - a little cold is a good thing, but my fibromyalgia and my allergy to extreme cold needs me to get out of WV for sure! When it gets really cold here, any exposed skin - particularly my extremities - will begin to burn and itch, then if I don't do something quick, the next step is they turn red and begin to swell enormously - becomes quite a pain in more ways than one.

Anyway, we're okay with up to an hour commute - course it would be nice to have less. Gas prices - well, I guess sooner or later that's gonna hit about everywhere. Way laidback is what we are looking for. We have our life at work where we're busy and active and all that, but when we go home we like peace and quiet and solitude - not always, we enjoy having company and being neighborly - we just really enjoy our time together alone with each other after our busy day. I guess my husband and I are lucky in that sense - we really are best friends and even after 20 years, we can't wait to be back together at the end of the work day, so our time together is very precious to us. So laid back sounds like heaven! We will be visiting at some point, maybe 6 months or so before we actually make the move so we can explore and get a feeling for things better.

I really appreciate everyone giving me their ideas and feelings. It really helps me list things in our pros and cons. Right now we're keeping an open mind until we actually see the places, but this list might help us put them in order of preference when we do come out there.

Old 02-03-2008, 04:00 PM

7 posts, read 25,576 times
Default Artist From Montana Moving Near Las Cruces Help!

I have a little cowboy store in Montana and want to get out of the blizzards and cultural wasteland. Looking for something close to Las Cruces because I'll probably have to actually work for a living for awhile. Also have a horse so that's a consideration. Dream would find a commerical building somewhere that's affordable with acerage. Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks
Rusty

Old 02-03-2008, 07:44 PM

385 posts, read 1,555,912 times
Prices have dropped a bit. I think looking out there between Las Cruces and Dona Ana is a good bet given you want a commerical building on a little acreage. While I haven't spent a lot of time around Hatch, I think that might have some similar type properties. We don't seem to have a lot of those type things down here south of Las Cruces as we have a lot more large scale ag down here.

I know of an interesting property for sale that is a 15 year old home or so on six acres with unbeatable views. Desert type property-not the valley. Even with a realtor, you are unlikely to find it though I think it is listed. I don't know what they are asking but its probably worth about 350,000.00 in todays market. If anybody is interested PM me and I will fill you in. FYI, also, I am not a realtor, do not own this property and have no financial interest in a sale. Its just quite desireable and you would be my neighbor so I have that interest, I guess. I know it took me six months to find my property even with a realtor and he never quite figured out where it was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces