U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 02:23 PM

4 posts, read 17,761 times

Advertisements

looking to move to las cruces in a couple of months. i saw the newspaper article the other day about gangs in the city. it basically said that things are out of control with gangs, the violence they create, and the fact that they are now in the residential neighborhoods. i dont expect a perfect place to live, but would like to read your opinions/facts about what is going on. thanks from your future neighbor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 04:22 PM

14,135 posts, read 7,218,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyboy929 View Post
looking to move to las cruces in a couple of months. i saw the newspaper article the other day about gangs in the city. it basically said that things are out of control with gangs, the violence they create, and the fact that they are now in the residential neighborhoods. i dont expect a perfect place to live, but would like to read your opinions/facts about what is going on. thanks from your future neighbor.
In what newspaper did you read that?
There isn't anything 'out of control' in this city, other than sunshine.

Old 09-24-2010, 07:35 PM

it was in the las cruces sun times the other day...front page

Old 09-24-2010, 07:37 PM

sorry...las cruces sun-news

Old 09-24-2010, 08:22 PM

17,524 posts, read 18,714,654 times
If you search the online Las Cruces Sun-News for the word gang you will find a variety of articles relating to gangs. I did not see anything to confirm "it basically said that things are out of control with gangs". There are gangs in New Mexico. I would be more concerned with the overall crime rate and what areas tend to be safer. However the issue of crime in New Mexico seems to be debated constantly.

If you search in the Las Cruces forum for the word gang here http://www.city-data.com/forum/las-cruces/ there are about 15 threads which discuss gangs/crimes etc

Old 09-24-2010, 09:25 PM

47,586 posts, read 35,516,431 times
When you see a lot of graffitti, then you know there are out-of-control gangs in an area. Iron bars on doors and windows is another sign that there are gangs.

The gangs tend to go after each other but usually leave innocent people alone. If you're an 18 year old or so kid, the gangs could cause you more problem if you're walking through "their" neighborhood but usually they leave other people alone. The gang problem doesn't affect everyone in Las Cruces too much, it's usually isolated to certain neighborhoods.

Recently just a little south of Las Cruces, a young man stopped into a rest area and there was a local gang laying in wait for anyone who pulled in. They killed him and stole his belongings. Unfortunately there are some gangs because of a very lax legal system - the killers in this case had been in trouble before for violence but were never given the punishment needed.

Old 09-25-2010, 09:43 AM

thanks for helping

Old 09-25-2010, 12:43 PM

83 posts, read 111,391 times
I have been doing my research, I will be moving next week with my daughter and my 16yr old will catch up with us in May...... I never heard of a killing, nor read on the news paper. I have not been doing the right research? All I've heard is that LC is a nice place to live and the crime rate is low. El Paso has more deliquency. I am now confused! But I guess too late for that. I guess practicing safe precaution.

So the police department is not the greatest ha? Great.... they just hired me...

Old 09-25-2010, 01:03 PM

2,866 posts, read 4,181,543 times
The "gang" in question was out of Anthony, and the event happened at the NM welcome center at the TX state line, both closer to El Paso, than LC. Still, nothing nice . . .

Old 09-25-2010, 01:50 PM

47,586 posts, read 35,516,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ig39 View Post
I have been doing my research, I will be moving next week with my daughter and my 16yr old will catch up with us in May...... I never heard of a killing, nor read on the news paper. I have not been doing the right research? All I've heard is that LC is a nice place to live and the crime rate is low. El Paso has more deliquency. I am now confused! But I guess too late for that. I guess practicing safe precaution.

So the police department is not the greatest ha? Great.... they just hired me...
It was an area just south of Las Cruces - truck drivers already know of the risks of some rest areas outside of Las Cruces because this wasn't the only incident, but this poor traveler didn't know - and I never knew before there was a problem and I have stopped at that rest area often, I wouldn't have thought twice about it even at night. It's disturbing too because this was a rest area between two close-together cities, a portion of interstate that is heavily traveled.

Ignoring the problem of gangs isn't a wise policy because when everyone pretends there is no problem, nothing gets done about the problem. I also read that the problem in New Mexico is that there are too few sheriffs and state troopers to patrol large areas which allow certain groups to do what they please, but that problem is more outside of city limits than inside city limits.

But like most places - gangs tend to be found in certain neighborhoods - and you can usually spot those neighborhoods by the iron bars and grates and graffitti. And the gangs usually do their drive-by shootings at other gangs and not randomly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces