Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 02:25 PM

9 posts, read 44,242 times

Advertisements

My husband & I are coming out this weekend and will be looking at homes in the following areas/subdivisions that we picked from MLS listings with a realtor recommended to us through mutual friends.

It's an exploratory visit so she will be driving us around to see the area in general as well.

This will be 2nd/vacation home for us for near future.

We are from Dallas and posted earlier in this forum about looking in New Mexico.

We will be looking in ABQ area Friday and then driving to LC Saturday as we are flying back from El Paso.

Any input/feedback on below would be appreciated.

4-Hills/Settlers Ridge Unit 3/resale
Elks Club/Mesa Manor Phase 1/Enervation Builders Group/resale
Elks Club/Mesa Manor Phase 2 Enervations Builders Group/new
High Range/Twilight Campana Estates/Twilight Homes/resale
Foothills/Nogal Canyon Road/Resale
Foothills/Canyon Point Rd/Resale
Alameda/Corazon Del Valle/Enervations Builders Group/new
Alameda/Flora Vista Dr/resale
Elks Club/Arrowhead Estates 5/Camino Real Builder/resale
East Mesa/Dos Suenos Estates/Camino Real Builder/resale
Telshor/Candlelight Knolls/Resale - only older home on our list
High Range/Parkway Estates 2/New West Homes/resale
High Range/Northrise Estates/new
South Mesilla Park/Wall Avenue/resale
Mesilla Park/Stone Dr/resale
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2007, 05:06 PM

9,332 posts, read 20,673,781 times
Mesilla Park is a little different than the others, because it is near the Rio Grande, which means more broadleaf trees, and flatter terrain. You'll likely be near farms. It's about 10 minutes from the central portion of town. My mom is from New Jersey and she always says for those reasons it's the only area she could live in, because it's green, not brown. In Dallas, you are more used to lush green.

I live in Foothills, right next to Canyon Point, and couldn't be happier. I don't even lock the doors to my house. It's very safe there. High Range is across from Lohman, going north on Roadrunner. That's another mid-upper middle class area. When you get to East Mesa, you are going out further, lower class area, more crime and grafitti. Telshor is older, that's closer to center of town, however, it's not that bad when it comes to crime. Not as safe as Foothills/High Range, but a nice in between. You'll probably get a better buy there for your money.

To me, Sonoma Ranch is the most desirable development in Las Cruces.

Old 08-05-2007, 01:17 PM

32 posts, read 149,202 times
Dos Suenos on the East Mesa is a beautiful neighborhood. You have to go out a lot farther for the mobile homes. In terms of crime, there's less on the East Mesa than there is in Las Cruces's downtown.

Old 09-03-2007, 12:24 PM

1 posts, read 5,485 times
Default Las Cruces Neighborhoods

My family is weighing the possibility of a move to the Las Cruces area from Austin. With a 7th and a 10th grader, education is very important.

We have looked at all the high schools and like what we see at Mayfield. The problem is that we can't identify the neighborhoods that feed into that high school to locate appropriate housing possibilities. Are there any maps or resources that tie the MLS neighborhoods with the various schools in district?

Please help if you can. Thanks.

The Producer

Old 09-03-2007, 07:28 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,702,106 times
The high schools have districts, but you can choose to enroll in a high school outside your district. Mayfield covers the north side of town if that's any help. Check out the LCSD website for maps and information.

Old 09-04-2007, 06:46 AM

32 posts, read 149,202 times
If education is that important to you, don't move to Las Cruces. The high schools are infested with gangs and the education available is unremittingly average.

Old 09-04-2007, 11:41 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,572,575 times
Quote:
The high schools are infested with gangs
Obviously you have never lived in Los Angeles and really have no idea what Gang infested is.

How many murders does Las Cruces have this year? Do you really want to know how many murders a gang infested place really has?

Well, So far L.A. has 560 this year...

Old 09-05-2007, 10:20 AM

271 posts, read 1,171,275 times
The producer is comparing LC to Austin and not LC to LA.

Old 09-05-2007, 02:42 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,572,575 times
I seriously doubt the Las Cruces has more crime then Austin....or more gangs/gang members.

Anyways, the comment from LasCrucesOne was that Las Cruces high schools are gang infested. I never did comment on the producers OP.

Old 05-31-2013, 10:22 AM

16 posts, read 54,520 times
Default Las Cruces neighborhoods - looking for a good fit

Hello there! Thank you for taking the time to read and consider answering my questions.

My family is moving to Las Cruces from a small University town in Oregon because of my husband's job. We have to find rental housing pretty quickly and won't have the luxury of getting the know the town before we find a rental house. I'd like to learn about the neighborhoods in Las Cruces before we start looking at Craigslist and Zillow for rentals.

My husband will work near the University, so some proximity would be nice.

What I've already gleaned from searching this forum is that there is a wide variety of neighborhoods. There are some safer neighborhoods, which is what we are interested, we have small children and would prefer not to even worry about crime, even property crime. Although, on the other hand modern cookie-cutter suburbia is rather unappealing and we don't want to be in a gated community or some such.

I've read on this forum that there is higher crime in the East Mesa area, also immediately north of the University, or along W. Picacho Blvd. Are there nice neighborhoods embedded in the downtown area, or the area called Mayfield or Alameda? I also read that the neighborhoods north of Hwy 70 are a bit rough, but is that true since the Elks Dr and Country Club neighborhoods have some big homes? Might there be rentals in Mesilla Park or Mesilla? Is the Del Rey really different from East Mesa? Are the other neighborhoods east of Hwy 25 similar: Sonoma Ranch, Telshor, Talavera, Las Alturas?

If anyone has time to give a rundown on the neighborhoods I would really love to hear it. You are so incredibly kind to help a newcomer. I look forward to your comments and ideas. Thank you in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces