U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 09:15 PM
TKO

686 posts, read 1,384,383 times
I think Cruces would certainly be more liberal than central Texas, accepting Austin. But it's normal America half n half nothing too special, though we have our good points. Santa Fe IS the City Different in all kinds of ways. Rents are through the roof and the politics are very liberal (I say this as a dem) and there are issues they deal with, and benefits they get, from being a world class city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 11:03 PM

214 posts, read 431,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicrowbar View Post
LC is much smaller than Albuquerque, a bit larger than Santa Fe. The average income in LC will be lower, Spanish is more widely spoken in everyday situations, housing and probably everything else is cheaper, it's certainly more conservative than SF. Come take a look.
I wonder if the OP ever did come out to LC?? Im not sure I agree that Spanish is more widely spoken...in LC. Im spending spring break in SF and am finding Spanish spoken nearly EVERYWHERE! Big surprise. And to the OP I really think youd enjoy LC. Being fairly conservative myself, I can tell you I prob could NOT live in SF...maybe ABQ...but LC is okay. I cant believe some businesses have set up shop in SF where its smaller, but not LC, but then again, their more affluent target market exists in SF, not LC.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:18 PM

196 posts, read 156,622 times
I don't even come to this forum (Las Cruces) but I saw SF mentioned, so I thought I would see what it was about. I can't answer your question because I have never been to Las Cruces, but I currently live in SF.

As I told a co-worker, while I was living in Missouri my friend took me to NM for my birthday. We went to Alb., drove to Amarillo (with stops in Santa Rosa and Tucumcari), drove back to Alb. the next day, and went to SF. My first time in SF I didn't like it. At all. Matter of fact, I told my friend I wanted to go back to Alb. because I thought the people were snobby. (and it was snowing that day too, and very cold) Then August of that same year I moved to Santa Rosa, NM. it took almost a year for me to come back to SF. But I found that the more I came to Santa Fe, the more I liked it. I even liked it more than Alb., although I never spent time here, until I got a job and had to move here. There are days I don't like Santa Fe, and would rather be elsewhere, but then I'm reminded why I am here and that things aren't really THAT bad here.

I'm sorry it didn't work for you in Santa Fe, but I hope you find what you're looking for in Las Cruces (or Alb.)

Old 03-17-2014, 08:20 AM

194 posts, read 313,733 times
I've lived in both Santa Fe and Las Cruces. The latter is MUCH cheaper to live in. Both have a fair number of retirees, with Santa Fe attracting many of the wealthier, artsy ex hippie types. However, Santa Fe is much more touristy and not authentic despite its claim that it is. Cruces beats Santa Fe any day of the week on being authentic; however, it has more of a border vibe to it, meaning wages are bottomed out and it is culturally more Mexican than New Mexican Hispanic in general. Whether Crucens like it or not, they are connected more culturally with El Paso than any other place. That said, many Crucens prefer to stay in town and commute to El Paso when possible--not that I blame them.

Old 03-17-2014, 12:20 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,056,732 times
paleo99 - good points about Cruces. My wife and I are about ta head there from Alamogordo right now. We go at least once a week the 70 miles west on Hwy.70 from Alamogordo to go shopping, go to a movie, out ta eat, etc. Plus, Sisbarro Mitsubishi is there if the '08 Lancer GTS needs anything that has ta come from a dealer.

We stay pretty clear from El Paso though reports say it is one of the safest cities in the U.S. Don't know if that's true. I'm also contemplating getting upper and lower partial dentures from the Washington Dental Clinic in Juarez. I have had a workmate (who's lived her whole life in Alamogordo) tell me I will be taking my life in my hands ta go to Juarez for dentistry. On the flip side, some good friends from Alamogordo that really don't like ta live dangerously go there regularly and tell me that if I park on the El Paso side in the WDC's own parking garage, get in the WDC van and let them drive straight to the clinic and get the work done, then let them drive you straight back across the border to your car in the WDC parking lot, it's not dangerous. Everyone says don't wander out at night in Juarez. Makes sense.

What do you think about doing that?

Old 05-22-2014, 10:47 PM

45 posts, read 19,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
paleo99 - good points about Cruces. My wife and I are about ta head there from Alamogordo right now. We go at least once a week the 70 miles west on Hwy.70 from Alamogordo to go shopping, go to a movie, out ta eat, etc. Plus, Sisbarro Mitsubishi is there if the '08 Lancer GTS needs anything that has ta come from a dealer.

We stay pretty clear from El Paso though reports say it is one of the safest cities in the U.S. Don't know if that's true. I'm also contemplating getting upper and lower partial dentures from the Washington Dental Clinic in Juarez. I have had a workmate (who's lived her whole life in Alamogordo) tell me I will be taking my life in my hands ta go to Juarez for dentistry. On the flip side, some good friends from Alamogordo that really don't like ta live dangerously go there regularly and tell me that if I park on the El Paso side in the WDC's own parking garage, get in the WDC van and let them drive straight to the clinic and get the work done, then let them drive you straight back across the border to your car in the WDC parking lot, it's not dangerous. Everyone says don't wander out at night in Juarez. Makes sense.

I'd go to Palomas for your dental work, if I was you. I had some work done there (crown) and was very satisfied with the price and quality.I know other people who did likewise. There is a clinic there that will also pick you up/drop you off. But it's only a 2 block walk to a couple of them.

Old 05-23-2014, 07:57 AM

2,358 posts, read 2,175,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
You should be fine if you stick to that plan. I have several friends who think nothing of going to Palomas for dental and eye care, and there is far less security there and you walk across. Stick to the busiest streets and chances are good the worst that will occur is being hastled by solicitations.

As for the clinics in Juarez, I know people who have come from out of town, stayed in one of the El Paso motels, and next day have the van from the clinic pick them up and later return them to their motel. This has been going on for years, even through the worst violence periods.

Old 05-23-2014, 08:22 AM

45 posts, read 19,629 times
It's either Lam Clinic in Palomas that will give you a ride from the border, or the Fierro Clinic. Google reviews on these places a bit and you'll find it. Or call them. Personally I'd just walk to Fierro, its only 2-3 blocks and right on the main drag, but older people might be more comfortable getting a ride. American dental, where I went, is even closer, right behind the Pink Store.

Old 07-12-2014, 06:32 AM

478 posts, read 414,457 times
"Art galleries, hippies and liberals are NOT for me!"

Well then, you're gonna love Las Cruces, despite what the small town boosters on the forum will say. This was one of our big issues w/ L.C. for the four years we lived there. It is not liberal by any definition (although, again, the residents may THINK that it is), there is little to no green movement, and the art scene is teeny tiny. More schlock and low level crafts, and there are very few people buying it, other than the day tripper tourists. It's not a place that supports it. I'm a painter/photographer, and my ability to find real authentic artists went not too far! Reading the paper online will give you a good feel of the town's priorities and interests.

Cruces has a conservative, military town feel to it, due to a lot of people working on, or near, the military installations, and with few exceptions we couldn't find any live music that suited us....we like stuff like The Allman Brothers, blues, jazz, etc. Albuquerque has what we like, but the crime there keeps us away. I never cared much for S.F. either, but for different reasons. It seemed a little Disneyish, it's far too expensive for what you get, and the winters are too cold.

Last edited by smarino; 07-12-2014 at 06:40 AM..

Old Yesterday, 10:56 PM

330 posts, read 1,348,001 times
So I am so curious. Why go.to mexico.for your dentistrty? Just price? Yes I hear a lot about juarez I had no idea people went over for eye and teeth care. Is there anything else you go oveer for? I have heard plastic surgery but that would be in puerto vallarta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces