U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-22-2012, 08:54 AM

915 posts, read 904,261 times

Advertisements

Looks like LC has this great new swimming facility, so that answers that. Also looks like they have medical mj for cancer/arthritis patients. The school also has what I'd like to pursue, so I have the following questions remaining (in terms of "retiring" there):
  1. Are liberal political views that unusual;
  2. Is the city bike (bicycle) friendly;
  3. Are there vegetarian/vegan restaurants;
  4. What about the gay/lesbian community;
  5. What about racist attitudes;
  6. Is the city atheist friendly, or do you have to hide your non-belief to hold a job;
  7. What is the air quality like;
  8. What are the areas to avoid, if any, and
  9. What are the areas around the university and around the new swimming facility (http://www.las-cruces.org/Government...acilities.aspx) like;
  10. Is there an area where 2+ bedroom houses may be rented, where you won't get broken into?
I guess these are my main questions. Thanks in advance!
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 01:52 PM
TKO

714 posts, read 1,492,206 times
1. No, probably 50/50 maybe 60/40 in favor of the left. It's a more conservative type of democrats that make up the majority. Big influence by the Catholic Church.
2. I have no perspectivce on this but there are some bike paths that seem busy and more are being built, people riding the roads on the outskirts of town frequently
3. There are a few but not that many. There is a good coop and great farmers market
4. Not huge but here
5. One of the least racist places I've ever lived (includes north Jersey and LA and northern NM)
6. I never had a problem but if you're in peoples faces with it (or anything that seems rude) people won't like it. I'm sure you already knew that.
7. Horrible in the spring, we get tremendous winds for about 3 months. It's all natural stuff, i.e. dust, but it's not good for you.
8. I would say with some caveats (what you want to live like) there really aren't
9. Lower middle class to poor as you go west and middle class as you go east
10. Yes, a lot of them. Again, it's relative to what you spend for the most part

Good luck!

Old 08-22-2012, 04:38 PM

Thank you, TKO, for taking the time to answer all my many questions. I really want to revert to the days when I lived near a university, was healthy, and rode a bike to school. But some schools are in ghetto areas, and others are in middle class or even expensive areas. Just wondering what the area around NMSU was like.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:05 PM

391 posts, read 391,238 times
NMSU is on the southern edge of the city. Neighborhoods surrounding it are middle class, though the high student populaton creates some instability. Just west of the university is Mesilla Park and Old Mesilla, both of which have higher than average property prices and are relatively crime free.
There are no "ghettos" in LC, but there are low income areas where the types of crimes that follow low income are more common. Most of the drive-by morons shoot on the east mesa, though not in the new suburb type neighborhoods (Sonoma Ranch, etc) that have sprung up in the last 10 years or so. The old Mesquite district was similar, but is undergoing a lot of changes and upgrades to homes, new businesses opening, etc.
Moderately liberal views are common
The city is installing bike lanes on some main city streets
Not a veggie haven, but you can find food
Gays/Lesbians are common, but it's not San Francisco or Key West
Racism is hardly an issue here
Live and let live, religiously
Air pollution here is windblown dust, particularly in springtime. Hey, it's the desert, ok?
There are rentals all over town, and buying is pretty economical.
Check out Mesilla. A very diverse community of old Hispanic families, university people, art/creative types, and enlightened snowbirds. Very little crime, and a nice quiet town with some interesting restaurants, galleries, etc.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:57 AM

I really appreciate everyone's responses. I'm in so much pain and NSAIDS really do not help. I would hate to move there and then find that med weed was not available. I was bitten by a HUGE spider the other day and nearly died. The joint pain was nearly unbearable.

I keep envisioning myself at that aquatics center, with a little "medication" in my system. Not going to be easy, relocating to another state, with MS and arthritis. Wish me luck?

Old 11-25-2012, 01:34 PM

1 posts, read 1,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvintar View Post
I really appreciate everyone's responses. I'm in so much pain and NSAIDS really do not help. I would hate to move there and then find that med weed was not available. I was bitten by a HUGE spider the other day and nearly died. The joint pain was nearly unbearable.

I keep envisioning myself at that aquatics center, with a little "medication" in my system. Not going to be easy, relocating to another state, with MS and arthritis. Wish me luck?

Glad your post wasn't 4 years ago and I happened to see it in real time! I really would love to hear a followup from you about Las Cruces if you end up moving there. I am from central New York (state), lived in Los Angeles for 3 years before coming back here (another story). I hate it, and I'm trying to leave again...LA is a bit expensive so considering the west in general. Las Cruces was suggested to me by ****.com. Wanna be warm and feel like I live in a place that is socially progressive.

Also, wondered if anyone could set the record straight about marijuana use there?

According to "cannibas4all", Possession of less than 8 oz is a misdemeanor with a 12-month maximum jail sentence possible. Seems a bit steep...a YEAR in jail for some herb? And medical is available, but examiner says "You can also get a permit for medical marijuana if you are chronically sick or severely injured." (Wow, how generous!!) So does this mean it's difficult to obtain? Is underground pot risky?

In LA, marijuana felt basically legal, there was no stigma, no shame, an eye-rolling attitude toward laws that are just wrong, outdated, and stupid. It's a medicinal herb, it heals in the way that healthy food and enough vitamins do-preventing illness. Just want to be warm and feel like I have freedom. Does Las Cruces feel this way? Or other suggestions?

Old 11-27-2012, 10:59 PM

55 posts, read 71,927 times
Quote:
In LA, marijuana felt basically legal, there was no stigma, no shame, an eye-rolling attitude toward laws that are just wrong, outdated, and stupid. It's a medicinal herb, it heals in the way that healthy food and enough vitamins do-preventing illness. Just want to be warm and feel like I have freedom.
I'm wondering where most of the pot in NM comes from. If it's domestic, I don't have much of an issue with its responsible use. If it's imported from Mexico, then IMNSHO, a lot of innocent people are getting brutalized to deliver unto us that healing. Hard for me to rationalize any enjoyment of it.

Old 11-28-2012, 05:45 AM
TKO

714 posts, read 1,492,206 times
Check out the NM Dept of Health Medical Cannabis Program. If you have a qualifying condition, or feel you have a case for a new one, then it's easy to get local, high quality medical MJ. It's not cheap. There is a lot of Mexican schwag or ditch weed around and it's very cheap (about a quarter of the cost of medical) but it has much less of the market than it did when I was a kid...so that's another benefit of the medical program I suppose.

As for illegal possession, 8 ounces is half a pound if you have more than that your likely selling and as they have no mechanism for collection taxes on it yet (and it is still illegal) you will find trouble. Changes are coming but not fully taken root yet. That said, a reasonable effort will find people who are happy to supply just about any craving you might have as far as drugs go and I can't remember the last time I read about any big pot busts, outside of the border patrol. I don't think they care a lot about it in reasonable amounts.

Aren't there a lot of folks in jail under three strikes in California due to weed?

As a side story, in '06 I went fishing in Mexico at Presa Novillo and the black plastic pipes rising from the lake over surrounding ridges were numerous. I didn't know what they were for at first, until the person I was fishing with mentioned to never beach the boat close to one or attempt to see where they go. 'Nuff said. The violence does seem to be simmering down. I would be very happy to have Mexico back as a destination.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:50 AM

17,646 posts, read 19,044,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DickHarmony View Post
Also, wondered if anyone could set the record straight about marijuana use there?
Here is the law if you care to read it: Universal Citation: NM Stat 30-31-23 (1996 through 1st Sess 50th Legis)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickHarmony View Post
According to "cannibas4all", Possession of less than 8 oz is a misdemeanor with a 12-month maximum jail sentence possible. Seems a bit steep...a YEAR in jail for some herb? And medical is available, but examiner says "You can also get a permit for medical marijuana if you are chronically sick or severely injured."
Not exactly, more than one ounce and less than eight ounces can get you a $100 to $1,000 fine, imprisonment for less than one year, or both.

That portion of the statute actually states:
(2) more than one ounce and less than eight ounces of marijuana or synthetic cannabinoids is guilty of a misdemeanor and shall be punished by a fine of not less than one hundred dollars ($100) or more than one thousand dollars ($1,000) or by imprisonment for a definite term less than one year, or both; or

Old 11-28-2012, 11:56 AM

55 posts, read 71,927 times
Thanks for the clarification re: source of medical weed in NM.

As for violence settling down in MX, my take (and I acknowledge much ignorance) is that while the violence between cartels may be settling down for a variety of reasons, the violence (actual or threatened) against individuals pressed into the service of delivering and selling pot to Americans is no less.

Back in the day, my home state of Missouri was known for the high quality of its weed. Don't know if that's still the case. Offhand, I think we're more known now for our prodigious meth production.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces