Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2013, 11:48 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,075,180 times

Advertisements

I currently attend UTEP and study Accounting, this fall semester will be my second year. But i am thinking of transferring to NMSU. The idea of going to a more traditional university and working in Albuquerque sound very appealing, instead of staying in UTEP and El Paso. A big downside to this option will be amounting debt for the last 2 years, and the extra year of the accounting master degree program if i wish to go the CPA route.

Do alot of NMSU graduates find work, especially in the Albuquerque area were there is competition from UNM grads?

Is amounting debt from 2/3 years worth it taking into consideration my degree plan, the career i want to be part of, and the job market in Albuquerque?

Albuquerque sounds way more appealing, with a good climate, the sandilla mountain, the size of the city, and its culture, even more so than the large humid cities that offer more employment opportunities in east Texas.

Las Cruces also sounds very appealing, a small city with a good traditional university. I don't care if the campus is normal looking in comparison to UTEP, or its football/basketball program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 11:01 PM

111 posts, read 238,169 times
It's been awhile for me, but NMSU students (especially in business and accounting) have always fared well in the Albuquerque job market. As for the comparison of the two campuses - UTEP has more interesting architecture, but I find NMSU's campus much more relaxed, walkable and enjoyable.

Old 08-17-2013, 07:41 PM

Yeah i just feel NMSU is a good school at an affordable price. It was rated as one of the best bang for your buck colleges.

Old 08-20-2013, 03:50 PM

340 posts, read 609,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
Do alot of NMSU graduates find work, especially in the Albuquerque area were there is competition from UNM grads?

Is amounting debt from 2/3 years worth it taking into consideration my degree plan, the career i want to be part of, and the job market in Albuquerque?

Albuquerque sounds way more appealing, with a good climate, the sandilla mountain, the size of the city, and its culture, even more so than the large humid cities that offer more employment opportunities in east Texas.
I believe you mean the Sandia Mts.? Have you been to Abq. yet? It is very pretty, much more green than El Paso, plus more to do, but about the same size. And easy access to Santa Fe, which is a great place to visit.

I think you might get a better response for your questions if you post this in in the ABQ forum.

Old 08-20-2013, 06:18 PM

Thanks for the reply!

Yes i have, i have family up there. It is really pretty like you said, with a very good climate, and with the Sandia Mountains which are very nice! And Santa Fe is indeed a very nice place to visit with alot of history and its very close to Albuquerque which makes it a great convinience.

I did ask a question about the current job market for Accountants in Albuquerque, but received very few replys. I might ask other similar questions in the near future.

Old 08-07-2016, 07:57 AM

457 posts, read 645,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
I currently attend UTEP and study Accounting, this fall semester will be my second year. But i am thinking of transferring to NMSU. The idea of going to a more traditional university and working in Albuquerque sound very appealing, instead of staying in UTEP and El Paso. A big downside to this option will be amounting debt for the last 2 years, and the extra year of the accounting master degree program if i wish to go the CPA route.

Las Cruces also sounds very appealing, a small city with a good traditional university. I don't care if the campus is normal looking in comparison to UTEP, or its football/basketball program.
You may not get too many serious replies asking this in an Albuquerque forum because it doesn't seem like those who visit that forum are capable of serious replies - it's mostly people who hate the area, bad mouth it, are trying to get OUT, or something.

Seriously, though, the Albuquerque job market seems to be specifically geared TOWARDS UNM, NMSU, NMT, NMHU graduates. SPECIFICALLY. Those of us who come here from other states, Ivy Leagues, other top East or West Coast universities, other countries (Oxford, Cambridge, etc) etc, are at an extreme DISadvantage in the job market unless we happen to come across a hiring manager who also went to Yale or Princeton or Stanford, etc. It's as if the Albuquerque job market is purposely trying to make up for the fact that they know that "their" graduates will have an extreme disadvantage trying to get jobs in other states or other countries because the rest of the world knows that New Mexico is like 45th in this nation in quality of education (they claim 49th to the Teachers Without Borders crowd, but it's really more like 45th). If you're Bar-admitted in New Mexico, for instance, most other states would laugh you out of the Bar Exam (same goes for Oklahoma, Wyoming, or the Dakotas).

In short. An NMSU grad will probably get a job over a Yalie, provided the NMSU grad is either white or light-skinned Hispanic and the Yalie is dark-skinned Native American. You're a "local." The Yalie or the Princetonian or the Cornelian is not.

Old 08-07-2016, 09:18 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,184,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by penny1969 View Post
You may not get too many serious replies asking this in an Albuquerque forum because it doesn't seem like those who visit that forum are capable of serious replies - it's mostly people who hate the area, bad mouth it, are trying to get OUT, or something.
Couldn't disagree more. Further, this response is three years late.

Quote:
If you're Bar-admitted in New Mexico, for instance, most other states would laugh you out of the Bar Exam (same goes for Oklahoma, Wyoming, or the Dakotas).
New Mexico uses the "Uniform Bar Examination". At least 24 states, including Arizona, Colorado, and New York, also use it or will be using it shortly.

NMSU does not have a law school.

Old 04-07-2017, 10:04 AM

205 posts, read 205,970 times
If you transfer to NMSU, you shouldn't have problem finding work in ABQ. Yes, you do have to compete with UNM graduates but real NMSU grads speak loudly with our work ethic and professional expertise. I went the economics/engineering/statistics path and NMSU graduates in these fields are all over state and federal government, the national laboratories, and MNCs like Intel and AMD.

Old 04-07-2017, 10:05 AM

205 posts, read 205,970 times
HA HA HA !!! That's funny...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces