Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2014, 08:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,397 times

Advertisements

I live in New Mexico and have taught elementary here for going on five years. I've recently been considering moving to the Las Cruces area and would like to get some feedback from any and all who have experience teaching in or sending their kids to Las Cruces' schools. Any information would be great, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 12:07 PM

334 posts, read 584,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AchillesLastStand View Post
I live in New Mexico and have taught elementary here for going on five years. I've recently been considering moving to the Las Cruces area and would like to get some feedback from any and all who have experience teaching in or sending their kids to Las Cruces' schools. Any information would be great, thanks!
Hi, it has been a long time since I lived there. I thought the schools were terrible and moved away before my son entered school. I am a certified teacher but never taught in Cruces. I understand it is a very tight job market for non-bilingual teachers in the lower grades. My friend taught at the alternative high school at the time and enjoyed it.

Old 07-29-2014, 05:13 PM

55 posts, read 136,131 times
A friend of mine posted the school grades for NM 2014. I looked at the schools here in Las Cruces and I think that it's a shame. I have never been so disappointed. C's, D's, and F's seem to dominate K-12. While we enjoy living here, if we end up staying we will look into trying to get our child into one of the private schools or even homeschooling.

That said, there is a small preschool called Ashley's Garden located in Gym Magic which has a pretty impressive track record. There is at least one Montessori school as well.

Old 08-06-2014, 09:22 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
I had kids in Camino Real Middle School and in Onate High School.
I found the staff at both to be very professional, helpful and communicative. Of course my kids would probably say they were heavy-handed and too strict about some things, but, from a parent's perspective that's a good thing.
I am of the opinion that as long as a school is safe, orderly and the kids are treated in a respectful manner, that any kid will do fine with parental support.
I know some amazing kids who have excelled in the Las Cruces school system and graduated well-prepared for college/university.
As with every thing else, it is what one makes it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
View detailed profiles of: