Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2019, 11:12 PM

4,514 posts, read 2,521,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotandhotter View Post
If you plan to work part time or full time at all - best you know how to speak Spanish otherwise you will not get any job. Also be ready for 360 days of non-stop sun - zero rain - and 3 digit temps most months of the year. Instead of snow - you will be inside because you cannot go out for fear of heat stroke. Eighty degrees with humidity is much better than 110 degrees dry. Also be prepared to drive defensively. Everyone here only takes signs as "suggestions" and that means almost all the time you better be careful even if you have the right of way. This pretty much sums up Las Cruces - just don't be prepared to work if you can't speak Spanish and hopefully you can buy your home as swamp coolers just don't cut it here with the heat index.
The area averages about 25 days a yr of 100+ degree temps. We may get 1 or 2 days of 110 degrees or higher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2019, 11:25 PM

4,514 posts, read 2,521,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy444 View Post
Having lived in Los Alamos before, I doubt it would be an option. It definitely has lots of trees, but the elevation is over 7,000 ft, and the population is only about 12,000. The altitude is high enough that it is often a HUGE issue for many people who move there. Santa Fe is also over 7,000 ft, and like you said, no trees to speak of. Ruidoso is also close to 7,000 ft, so it's probably still too high. I don't remember Espanola having many trees either, and it's even smaller than Los Alamos. It does have a slightly lower elevation, but not by much (still over 6,000). Silver City would probably be too small and is still close to 6000 ft. I really don't know much at all about Socorro or Las Vegas, but I do know that they're also pretty small, and Socorro is the only one with an elevation of less than 5,000 ft. Las Vegas is over 6,000. Yeah, pretty much, trees and an elevation low enough not to cause some problems for people don't seem to mix very well in New Mexico.
Alamogordo has some trees, is only 30 min to ruidoso with forests, only 20 min to cloudcroft with forests, and 45 -55 min to el paso. Population about 30k. Lived there 10 yrs and enjoyed it. Would go to el paso for better shopping and restaurants or up to the Inn of the Mountain Gods to gamble.

Old 09-10-2019, 07:24 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,493,524 times
Alamogordo has some trees, is only 30 min to ruidoso with forests, only 20 min to cloudcroft with forests, and 45 -55 min to el paso. Population about 30k. Lived there 10 yrs and enjoyed it. Would go to el paso for better shopping and restaurants or up to the Inn of the Mountain Gods to gamble.

And Alamogordo's Chamber of Commerce continues to try and keep us here for shopping as we now have a Ross Dress for Less coming to the White Sands Mall. I love living in Alamogordo - the population heads upwards towards 37,000 - 38,000 when a new shipment of servicepeople arrive and goes down towards 33,000 - 35,000 when they leave. Nice, manageable population here.

Old 09-11-2019, 09:15 AM

232 posts, read 302,381 times
If you read "between the lines" here most commenting here: DRIVE. A year ago I was at "White Sands Mall" and it was dead or near closure. Yes Las Cruces or El Paso ARE your shopping options (or your home computer). BUT if the Feds (ie, the Labs and bases) were to 'pull out' of NM the state would lose its' 'life-blood.' With TRUMP anything can happen. No fear-monger here just being 'real.' Best bet for me would be New Mexico's 2nd largest city: Las Cruces with now 2 hospitals (I worked at MGH with only 1), NMSU, and a viable mall. I agree "swamp-coolers" may not work much in Summer (Las Cruces). Just saying.

Old 09-13-2019, 04:23 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,795,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyp1 View Post
If you read "between the lines" here most commenting here: DRIVE. A year ago I was at "White Sands Mall" and it was dead or near closure. Yes Las Cruces or El Paso ARE your shopping options (or your home computer). BUT if the Feds (ie, the Labs and bases) were to 'pull out' of NM the state would lose its' 'life-blood.' With TRUMP anything can happen. No fear-monger here just being 'real.' Best bet for me would be New Mexico's 2nd largest city: Las Cruces with now 2 hospitals (I worked at MGH with only 1), NMSU, and a viable mall. I agree "swamp-coolers" may not work much in Summer (Las Cruces). Just saying.
Tommy,

What you mention about the federal government being the lifeblood of the state is precisely at the core of what ails the state. Until this state is able to attract private sector employers not named Burger King, we will not rise to the level of Texas, Colorado or Arizona.

Old 09-14-2019, 08:54 AM

232 posts, read 302,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Tommy,

What you mention about the federal government being the lifeblood of the state is precisely at the core of what ails the state. Until this state is able to attract private sector employers not named Burger King, we will not rise to the level of Texas, Colorado or Arizona.
I totally agree Mike:

When the Feds setup shop in NM the impression was: "there was nothing there...so we'll trash the state." A nice little book that really IS an 'expose' of what the Feds did is: "The Orphaned Land": New Mexico's Environment since the Manhattan Project by VB Price. I lived in Albuquerque when Mr Price's book came out and went to his book-signing (VB used to write for the "Albuquerque Tribune"). When most of the aquifers have been poisoned it would be difficult for the state "to attract private sector employers" especially if water is in short supply. If New Mexicans would vote they would at the 'very-least' be able turn things around. A little known fact: New Mexico is the only state that publishes its' ballots in Spanish. But it matters not. Thanks.

Old 09-14-2019, 09:53 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,758,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyp1 View Post
New Mexico is the only state that publishes its' ballots in Spanish. But it matters not. Thanks.
That may be true, however states have offered Spanish ballots in some of their counties...

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...lection-cycle/
Quote:
The federal government has long required election ballots in some U.S. jurisdictions to be printed in languages other than English, based on the number of voting-age citizens who live in those communities and have limited English skills and low education levels. New data from the Census Bureau show that 263 counties, cities and other jurisdictions in 29 states will now be subject to this requirement in future elections, a slight increase from five years ago.
https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...rror/83403032/
Oops! They did it again: County errs on Spanish-language ballot
Mary Jo Pitzl, The Republic | azcentral.com Published 3:26 p.m. MT April 22, 2016 | Updated 4:44 p.m. MT April 22, 2016

"Maricopa County elections officials got the title of a ballot measure wrong in the Spanish-language version of the May 17 ballot. This could lead to greater taxpayer costs and potential litigation."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces