Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 08:14 PM

50 posts, read 105,372 times

Advertisements

Since I'm moving to LC later this year I've been interested on how it compares to Phoenix where I currently live since climate was one of the more important items on my wish list. While it may be getting warmer in LC, to say it is getting near Phoenix like is a bit of stretch IMHO. I did a quick check of last summer and found the following:

100℉ or higher: LC 18 days, PHX - 98 days
Highest temp - LC 104℉, PHX - 118℉
Avg high Jun-Aug - LC 94℉, PHX - 106℉
Avg low - Jun-Aug - LC 67℉, PHX - 83℉
Avg dew point Jul-Aug - LC 50℉, PHX - 56℉

While I'm not saying it doesn't get hot in LC, it certainly does, compared to PHX where I've spent the last 28 1/2 years it will be a very welcome break. Most days in Jun-Aug my garage is 100℉ or higher when I get in my car to go to work at 4:15am. Many days driving to work at that hour the temp is 90-95℉. From late Jun until early Sept. the temperature rarely, if ever, gets below 80℉. Having the temp be in the upper 60's to low 70's at night and the cool mornings in LC are going to be a much welcome change. And while 104 is hot, it's nothing compared to 118℉. A summer day here where it only gets up to 104℉ is considered pretty tolerable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2017, 08:46 PM

104 posts, read 111,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
It has been 80 to 85 and above in LC for most of the past 2 weeks. I know, I've been here. Its only mid-March.
Sure we're 10 - 15 degrees above normal for this time of year but it's also possible to have a late freeze in March as well (not likely this year!) so it's not like you can say this is typical or even a trend at this point. Next year we could have snow with some really low overnight temps and let's not forget the big freeze of 2011....

Old 03-21-2017, 08:57 PM

5,713 posts, read 4,286,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMTransplant View Post
Sure we're 10 - 15 degrees above normal for this time of year but it's also possible to have a late freeze in March as well (not likely this year!) so it's not like you can say this is typical or even a trend at this point. Next year we could have snow with some really low overnight temps and let's not forget the big freeze of 2011....
Actually, warming IS a trend. Not just in LC. I didn't say it was typical, but atypical weather is becoming the new norm in many places.

Old 03-21-2017, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1405 View Post
Since I'm moving to LC later this year I've been interested on how it compares to Phoenix where I currently live since climate was one of the more important items on my wish list. While it may be getting warmer in LC, to say it is getting near Phoenix like is a bit of stretch IMHO. I did a quick check of last summer and found the following:

100℉ or higher: LC 18 days, PHX - 98 days
Highest temp - LC 104℉, PHX - 118℉
Avg high Jun-Aug - LC 94℉, PHX - 106℉
Avg low - Jun-Aug - LC 67℉, PHX - 83℉
Avg dew point Jul-Aug - LC 50℉, PHX - 56℉

While I'm not saying it doesn't get hot in LC, it certainly does, compared to PHX where I've spent the last 28 1/2 years it will be a very welcome break. Most days in Jun-Aug my garage is 100℉ or higher when I get in my car to go to work at 4:15am. Many days driving to work at that hour the temp is 90-95℉. From late Jun until early Sept. the temperature rarely, if ever, gets below 80℉. Having the temp be in the upper 60's to low 70's at night and the cool mornings in LC are going to be a much welcome change. And while 104 is hot, it's nothing compared to 118℉. A summer day here where it only gets up to 104℉ is considered pretty tolerable.

I didn't mean to imply (and neither did my source, who has lived in LC all his life )that the maximums are reaching Phoenix maximums, or that it is similar to Phoenix on a regular basis. What he meant is that temps above 100 and even above 105 are becoming more frequent. And unless you are coming from somewhere like Phoenix that is too hot for most people.

Old 03-22-2017, 08:32 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,163,578 times
Quote:
What he meant is that temps above 100 and even above 105 are becoming more frequent.
For all of my very long life, there have been week-long periods in June when daily temps exceed 100F in the El Paso-Las Cruces area. It's also become normal in more recent times for temps to hit 100F in May.

BUT...as has been pointed out, even during the week-long periods temps after sundown quickly fall to more tolerable levels in the 70-80 range.

Old 03-22-2017, 12:54 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,380,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernFog View Post
Some thoughts: We would be coming from the Pacific Northwest if we moved to LC. We're comfortable in high 60's-low 70's because its humid here by the ocean (one hour south of Oregon). We always feel very uncomfortable in hot & humid weather. I see that record high summer days run from 103-110 degrees but that normally May through September run from 85-95 degrees. Given the low humidity in the LC area, I would hope that wouldn't be too uncomfortable for us. Don't like the idea of high spring winds but I guess if one has a screened in room or a protected court yard, it wouldn't be too bad at home.
Any comments?
Las Cruces will be a lot warmer and sunnier than the Pacific Northwest.Dry heat is typically more tolerable than humid heat however 95 will be hot anywhere you go.

Old 03-22-2017, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
For all of my very long life, there have been week-long periods in June when daily temps exceed 100F in the El Paso-Las Cruces area. It's also become normal in more recent times for temps to hit 100F in May.

BUT...as has been pointed out, even during the week-long periods temps after sundown quickly fall to more tolerable levels in the 70-80 range.
But who really cares about night time temps anyway? Its the hot day temps that prevent people from doing much of anything outside without being miserable or risking heat illness. I doubt the OP was inquiring about night time temps. If the only consolation is "you might be able to sleep once the temp drops below 80" that's pretty small consolation.

As a comparison for the OP, I've spent several summers in eastern Washington as well as many in western Washington.
I love eastern Washington much more than western, but after 3 weeks of 90 degree temps (and its a dry heat there too) my head felt like it was going to explode. But I'd still rather spend summers there than here in LC (in fact I just applied for 2 jobs there). Its considerably hotter for longer here. And no, I've never spent a summer in LC.

Old 03-22-2017, 05:37 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,163,578 times
Quote:
But who really cares about night time temps anyway?
I was responding to the person comparing Phoenix to Las Cruces who wrote:
Quote:
Having the temp be in the upper 60's to low 70's at night and the cool mornings in LC are going to be a much welcome change.
And I personally know what a miserable experience it is when the temp stays above 100F both day AND night for days on end!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces