U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 08:55 AM

7,646 posts, read 11,558,165 times

Advertisements

I have three palm trees in my back yard.

That said, I think the only native palm trees in the U.S. (and this will surprise many) reside down near the delta of the Rio Grande as it enters the Gulf of Mexico. I don't know where I read this, but I was very surprised. Palms in every other region were originally native to other areas and introduced into the fauna from other areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 11:42 AM

4,580 posts, read 9,682,094 times
funkymonkey-the palms may not be dead,but come spring time you'll notice if new growth is comming,the palms here in Albq get beat up pretty bad and dry out and the fronds lose all their green-ness,and come spring they start regrowing again so maybe theres some luck for yours.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:17 PM

9,048 posts, read 12,377,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
I just drove through Las Cruces a few days back on my way to El Paso and I just love the look of the town more and more everytime I go through there.I really love the look with all the palm trees.Does anyone that lives in the Las Cruces area know if the city is still big on planting the palms,are they planting alot in the newer areas? just wondering, thanks for any info.
I think I must be the only person on this forum who doesn't like palm trees.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:42 PM

2,866 posts, read 4,224,554 times
Palm trees make an immediate visual impact often otherwise lacking in newly developed subdivisions, and provide some grandeur when planted in rows along streets or parking lots. They can be transplanted in large (tall) sizes. Other vegetation takes some time to get established. I like the look as part of the desert landscape, especially when juxtaposed against a mountainside or arroyo with other native vegetation. Think desert oasis with camels at the well.

Old 02-12-2008, 03:30 PM

13,025 posts, read 24,514,609 times
I think Palm Trees are great for the desert communities.You always see them in Bagdad on tv watching the war news over there. When i went to phoenix a couple of years ago i was in awe with all the Palm Trees everywhere. I thought i was in south Florida like Miami or Ft. Lauderdale as Phoenix is beautiful with them.

Good to see El Paso and Las Cruces get more and more of these.

Old 02-12-2008, 05:08 PM

1,983 posts, read 2,696,663 times
Actually there are 11 species of palm native to Florida (silver palm, Coccothrinax argentata; thatch palm, Thrinax radiata, keys thatch palm; Thrinax morrisii; saw palmetto, Serenoa repens; sabal palm, Sabal palmetto; buccaneer palm, Pseudophoenix sargentii; needle palm, Rhapidophyllum hystrix; paurotis palm, Acoelorrhaphe wrightii; dwarf palmetto, Sabal minor; royal palm, Roystonea regia; and scrub palmetto, Sabal etonia.)

Old 02-12-2008, 07:00 PM

253 posts, read 759,545 times
Quote:
Cali girl-There are palms all over Las Cruces,I have seen alot in neighborhoods,around NMSU,the holiday inn has hundreds of them around and a Si Senor restaurant.Some are very very tall.
OK, I will check these out.

Thanks!

~Cali-girl

Old 02-13-2008, 02:23 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,359,187 times
Quote:
funkymonkey-the palms may not be dead,but come spring time you'll notice if new growth is comming,the palms here in Albq get beat up pretty bad and dry out and the fronds lose all their green-ness,and come spring they start regrowing again so maybe theres some luck for yours.
I hope so! I don't have any experience having them before, so never really noticed what they do in the winter. THanks for the info

Old 02-13-2008, 03:47 PM

950 posts, read 2,160,132 times
Question Cold-hardy palms

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post
I wouldn't hold my breath Devin. This winter has been one of the coldest ones, nationwide, in quite some time. We'll see just how warm for those palms that global warming gets!

I am a big palm enthusiast, and the farthest north / highest in altitude I have really found for successful palms has been consistently - through the decades - at about a zone 7 / 7b. Albuquerque in New Mexico is sort of the dividing line, and even there, for every palm that thrives, it seems another dies. Las Cruces / Alamogordo seem to consistently be the best places for palms in the state.
You're right. Global warming happens slowly and then all it takes is one cold winter to do a plant in.

I have to place my hope in a variety of palm that will survive in a climate unsuited to most. Needle palms might make it from what I have heard, but they don't seem to have a trunk and who wants a palm without a trunk?

But they keep finding varieties in colder places in Asia -- maybe some day I'll find one available at a local nursery or on-line.

Some people wrap Christmas tree lights around the trunk and plug them in on cold nights. But Christmas lights on a palm? -- that's too Southern California for me.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:07 PM

4,580 posts, read 9,682,094 times
DEVIN BENT-- you might want to try a windmill palm,they grow here in Albq pretty good,Ive seen some here this winter that still look almost perfect, although mine are young and are going through their first winter and the cold and wind kinda ruffed them up but they should be fine,I have seen pics of them growing in Kentucky,Minnesota,Michigan,CT,NJ,Chicago,and even the Toronto area but all of these people that grow these give them lots of winter protection which you would probably have to do,some build mini greenhouses around them, but in the spring,summer and fall months they look wonderful and are well worth the few months that you have to protect.Check em out,you can buy em here in Albuquerque at local nurseries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces