U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 02:04 AM

4,552 posts, read 12,533,902 times

Advertisements

I just drove through Las Cruces a few days back on my way to El Paso and I just love the look of the town more and more everytime I go through there.I really love the look with all the palm trees.Does anyone that lives in the Las Cruces area know if the city is still big on planting the palms,are they planting alot in the newer areas? just wondering, thanks for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 01:21 PM

3,175 posts, read 10,512,320 times
I don't live in Las Cruces but am very familiar with the city. Truthfully, I absolutely love the desert palm tree landscaping too. Just love it.

I would say that the trend in 'Cruces will assuredly continue. All of the other desert Southwest cities - Phoenix metro, Tucson, Las Vegas, El Paso - do it too, and I really enjoy them. Thus, with LC also having a similar climate to EP, they'll keep 'er going too.

I used to always love to drive I-25 South from Albuquerque to I-10 into El Paso. I would always get excited when you started to see the palm trees pop up (just a hare north of Las Cruces)...you knew you were entering the next climatical zone!

(BTW, if you like the palms in LC, you should see all of 'em in El Paso...there are many there that are 50 years old and are just phenomenal trees).

Old 02-11-2008, 01:44 PM

1 posts, read 5,266 times
Default Cost of living

Who is the cost of living there? How about real estate??

Old 02-11-2008, 04:19 PM

253 posts, read 953,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
I just drove through Las Cruces a few days back on my way to El Paso and I just love the look of the town more and more everytime I go through there.I really love the look with all the palm trees.Does anyone that lives in the Las Cruces area know if the city is still big on planting the palms,are they planting alot in the newer areas? just wondering, thanks for any info.
To be honest, I haven't seen the palm trees you posted of....where are they? I see mostly the Chaste Tree with the lilac-shaped purple flowers that bloom in the summertime. And there are two other types of tree (I don't know the names of these - maybe someone here does) - one has pine-needle type "leaves" on it with a greenish trunk and another has small green leaves with beautiful bright yellow flowers that look like a similar flowering shrub in California. All are just beautiful, some may not agree but I like native plants and plants that are native or suited to their environment.

I think there may be palms in front of the Dona Ana County Bldg on Motel; in the late spring the lantana (now dormant) perks up & has yellow blooms -

In the new developments (houses) I haven't seen many palms planted - people are doing the native plant-cactus (in front of some homes they are planting a purple-tinged cacti which I plan on doing too - each cactus is about $30 for a 3-gallon pot) thing and their landscaping is very imaginative with river rock, dry streambeds, decorative grasses, New Mexican pottery, etc. People here are water-wise and are landscaping to reflect the high desert and that's a good thing.

The neighbors where I live all have custom homes and many are from the old Scottsdale AZ. They have brought their desert landscaping ideas with them and it is a pleasure to see how well they design their yards to reflect the native terrain.

~Cali-girl

Old 02-11-2008, 04:51 PM

949 posts, read 2,750,064 times
I envy people the palms and keep trying to find a variety that would grow here (north of Santa Fe at 6,000 feet) with a sheltered southern exposure.

Maybe global warming will make it possible. I have read that palms are moving north on the east coast.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:24 PM

3,175 posts, read 10,512,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin Bent View Post
I envy people the palms and keep trying to find a variety that would grow here (north of Santa Fe at 6,000 feet) with a sheltered southern exposure.

Maybe global warming will make it possible. I have read that palms are moving north on the east coast.
I wouldn't hold my breath Devin. This winter has been one of the coldest ones, nationwide, in quite some time. We'll see just how warm for those palms that global warming gets!

I am a big palm enthusiast, and the farthest north / highest in altitude I have really found for successful palms has been consistently - through the decades - at about a zone 7 / 7b. Albuquerque in New Mexico is sort of the dividing line, and even there, for every palm that thrives, it seems another dies. Las Cruces / Alamogordo seem to consistently be the best places for palms in the state.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:33 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,803,372 times
I agree with EnjoyEP ....zone 8 areas are best .....which in NM means .....Truth Or Consequences/Elephant Butte to southern border ....and below 5,000 feet above sea level ....I've seen palms in NM growing in Lordsburg ...Deming .....Hatch ....Alamogordo ....Tularosa ...La Luz ....T or C ....Carlsbad ...and even one at Taco Bell in Roswell.... also in Albuquerque ....while not zone 8 .....ABQ has some palms ...at the Zoo ...a few on UNM campus ....at Albuquerque Hilton ....and at some residences too ...most people seem afraid to grow palms in Albuquerque and it is definitely "borderline" for palms ....Northeast Heights area is best ...it has a zone 7b micro climate ....Chinese windmill palms do quite well ....California fan palms can work too ...takes more care than in southern NM ...plant near a south facing wall .....and protect growing spear on cold nites ...Chilean Wine Palm is very graceful and can handle temps down to 10 degrees F ....places like El Paso can handle more varieties ...including Canary Island Date Palm ....definitely zone 8b ....checkout Chuco's palm pictures in the El Paso forum ...lots of great pics ... really tall mexican fan palms just like in SoCal !! Caligirl shud take a trip down to EP ...she'll think she's back home ....

Old 02-11-2008, 09:41 PM

4,552 posts, read 12,533,902 times
Cali girl-There are palms all over Las Cruces,I have seen alot in neighborhoods,around NMSU,the holiday inn has hundreds of them around and a Si Senor restaurant.Some are very very tall.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:53 AM

1,552 posts, read 2,531,225 times
The new area along Rinconada has a lot of palm trees.

I have two in my front yard, but I think they're dead.

Old 02-12-2008, 05:48 AM

717 posts, read 1,660,363 times
Default Luv Palms

I'm a landscaping fanatic. Wherever I buy a house I turn it into a forest or a jungle over time. Palms are among my favorite trees. I've already plotted where my fan palms will be be situated on my TorC property. Four months to go.....then...bye bye Colorado!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces