Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2011, 09:39 AM

177 posts, read 582,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caydriver View Post
It should not be a problem if you have a BSN, MSN or MA. If you are a ADN it may be more complicated but the hospitals encourage you to continue your education.
Yea eventually I will get my BSN but don't have it yet. Here a nurse makes the same no matter what degree, so it gives little motivation to go spend thousands more on schooling for theory classes, ect...to make no different wage. But I realize people are becoming more picky with hiring ADN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 09:40 AM

177 posts, read 582,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captgwg View Post
I retired to Las Cruces about two years ago. It's a marvelous place to live. You mentioned you had a baby. My opinion as an observer is that the public school system out here has a lot to be desired. Their standards are not as high as other places that I have lived. Though, the university makes up for that by having one of the best values in the country since they are fairly good and are one of the cheapest colleges in the country.

New houses in nice neighborhoods (yes they are still building new here in LC) can go for about 165k for 1600 square feet.

I love LC, but I would caution about the school systems.
Thanks for the input. We will have to look into this.

Old 08-01-2011, 04:15 PM

Location: Northern and Western Washington State (the rainy part)
44 posts, read 153,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa E View Post
Hi Everyone! My significant other and I and our baby and one on the way may be moving to LC before too long.
not sure about the pay scale in Cruces but we have 2 nurses living in my RV Park here in T or C, they have homes in Silver and Mountainaire but travel where they are needed. Just a thought...we've been here 4yrs from the Seattle area and Cruces has grown 33% in 4yrs......says something about the area.
Good luck

Webfoot

Old 08-16-2011, 12:45 PM

38 posts, read 79,076 times
Default Moving from ABQ to Las Cruces.

Hello, My family and I are wanting to move to Las Cruces as soon as we are able to sell our house. Currently we live in the East Mountains and im just wondering is it a huge difference from ABQ? I've only visited once and absolutely loved it everybody was so friendly. I have a 20 and 17 year old would this be a good place for them also? I'd love to know more about Las Cruces

Old 08-18-2011, 09:32 AM

5 posts, read 11,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkkey View Post
Hello, My family and I are wanting to move to Las Cruces as soon as we are able to sell our house. Currently we live in the East Mountains and im just wondering is it a huge difference from ABQ? I've only visited once and absolutely loved it everybody was so friendly. I have a 20 and 17 year old would this be a good place for them also? I'd love to know more about Las Cruces
Well Las Cruces does not have the business diversity that ABQ does simply due to it size so your 20 year old may get very frustrated finding a job here. As for the 17 year old if they like to go out and party well they are not going to like Las Cruces as there really isn't much to do.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:32 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,262,628 times
Las Cruces is much smaller and a lot hotter in the summer than ABQ. . It is a typical desert town with small mountains, sand and dry air. The food is good, the people are friendly, the hospital is as good as any. Most of the housing stock I've seen has been very decent. There is homeless on the street; most are polite and not pushy. There is a truck stop or two on the outskirts of town. When I was visitng there was a big flea market on the weekends. I think all in all that it is a fun area to visit and a decent place to live.

After mother died, a Dona Ana bank officer refused to comply with federal and state laws. I wasted one whole hot July day with this idiot. The judge was absolutely furious the last time I saw her, and the banker was finally forced to comply. An unexpected death and the 1800 mile trip to close the house was enough pain without the banker adding to the grief. I would not trust the banker to not do it twice. .

Living in the Midwest and visiting at Christmas was a bit of a culture shock to see cotton boles in the fields and cactus decorated with christmas lights. If you like nature you are not far from Soccorro and Elephant Butte. You are also not that far from Carlsbad, White Sands, Ruidoso and Inn of the Mountain Gods where you find far more than table games and slots.

I went into old Mexico several times for mother's medicine. I crossed south of Deming. It is about the same amount of time as El Paso and 100 x less traffic. The businesses are very clean and professional. If you buy from La Tienda Rosa store/restaurant the return policy is one sided. They take back imperfect merchandize but your money is not returned- if you do this by mail. The food is fabulous and they load you with booze while you shop. it is a buyer's beware market, but fun none the less.

The last time I purchased a fifth of pure vanilla extact it cost $3 at the liquor store. You can't buy pure vanilla extract at a grocery store becuase it contain alcohol. Little kids panhandle all over even in the liquor stores. I don't encourage it, personally. Other than potholes, sand and lousy traffic on the main street that goes the border crossing it is a peaceful friendly town where you find two pharmacieis, dentist and eye exams for very little money. The drugs cost 50% - 66% less per prescription than in the US. The $33 inhaler from the national well known box store pharmacy cost $8 in old Mexico; the Temoxifin cancer drug was $100 which was half the US cost. Same drug, same box, same cotton, same pamphlet. The only difference is the language. All was in Spanish except the name of the drug. I did pay a dude $20 to watch my vehicle. I left 14 hours later. It was a great investment.

The local newspaper and the state magazine probably provide the best sources for information.
Home - Las Cruces Sun-News
New Mexico Magazine, the state magazine for New Mexico

The schools should be on line too.

Old 08-21-2011, 02:28 PM

29 posts, read 139,360 times
Default moving back to the area....should I?

Can anyone tell me what is news in Southwest NM? I lived in the Silver City area for 7 years and then to Northern Cali. Well, the desert calls again. What is happening around town?
I have a 16 year old beautiful daughter who thinks of NM as her home and am a single mom/artist/musician. Any hope for us in Las Cruces?
Thanks for any feedback!

Old 08-21-2011, 05:15 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,163,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlbard11 View Post
Can anyone tell me what is news in Southwest NM? I lived in the Silver City area for 7 years ...
Las Cruces hasn't changed significantly in the past 7 years - except for having grown ever larger with new housing developments now spread across the Organ foothills above the city. But traffic remains tolerable since large avenues have also been laid out to service the subdivisions.

There remains only one "mall" - the Mesilla Valley Mall - but many national chain retailers have a presence in smaller strip malls or individual store fronts. The economy has been quite stable in comparison with other towns of equal size in the southwest.

Culturally the city hasn't changed much, with the university still being a central player. As for the arts, it's going to be tough anywhere right now. Las Cruces has always had its share of southwestern galleries but the only significant art "museum" is the one associated with the U.

Schools are on a par with schools everywhere in NM, and new schools have been built in the subdivisions and are currently being built.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-29-2011, 10:28 PM

38 posts, read 79,076 times
Interesting. Thanks everyone! I have another question..are there alot of insects down there specifically scorpions? When I use to live in Los Lunas there were alot of scorpions and I don't want to go through that again.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:18 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkkey View Post
Interesting. Thanks everyone! I have another question..are there alot of insects down there specifically scorpions? When I use to live in Los Lunas there were alot of scorpions and I don't want to go through that again.
I've never encountered a scorpion here. Lots and lots and lots of ants though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces