Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 12:33 PM

8 posts, read 36,639 times

Advertisements

Thank you for the info. I guess my next question is housing and neighborhoods and such. We're a little more familiar with Las Cruces as we have friends there but I'm thinking we're looking for something a little smaller. We currently live in a big, northern city after living in San Diego for many years, and at this stage in our lives we're looking for somewhere smaller and quieter and more affordable. Do you think Deming is what we're looking for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2007, 12:42 PM

22,891 posts, read 28,167,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zekemom View Post
Do you think Deming is what we're looking for?
I don't know that much about it. Sorry. Their crime stats are on the high end. Check out: http://www.city-data.com/city/Deming-New-Mexico.html

My dad recently moved back to Las Cruces, and the found a neighborhood up the mountains. It's still within easy driving distance of town, but they have the benefit of a quiet place. And being up on the mountain, it isn't quite as brutally hot up there as it is down in town.

Old 04-26-2007, 12:54 PM

385 posts, read 1,553,487 times
Deming is growing but not to the point where its future direction is very clear. It has some vineyards going in out there so there is some economy developing but there is lots of poverty and unemployment (not unlike Lordsburg). I have worked all over New Mexico and I didn't like working in Deming. There are still enough crazies out there that think they are living off the grid (but they are not) and they answer the door with shotguns (they are not off on ranches mind you but in housing tracts) and lots of hostility.

Also, as was pointed out, you would have to use the services in Las Cruces so why not check areas around there like Hatch or Mesquite, Vado, Mesilla Valley, Anthony to live. Those areas are growing and its pretty clear that they are going up in quality of life over the next decade and not down so your investment would be protected as well.

Old 05-08-2007, 10:27 PM

8 posts, read 36,639 times
Default relocating

I'm now thinking about Mesilla. Does anyone have any information regarding this area? We've been happy home-owners for many years and are now thinking about renting a house for awhile before deciding where to settle permanently.

Old 05-09-2007, 05:48 AM

1,063 posts, read 3,019,461 times
Great idea on renting before buying, that way you can check out all the area and decide then. I am in Alamogordo, and love it. Close to the mountains, and close (70mi) to Cruces. Yes the desert is hot, but many days cooler than back in Illinois where I am from.
Good Luck on your search,
Jane

Old 05-09-2007, 10:53 AM

271 posts, read 1,124,189 times
Perhaps it will help other people if I tell my own story of how I chose to live in Las Cruces. The first time I heard of Las Cruces was about ten years ago, from a a very distinguished painter (artist) from New York who had retired there. My first thought was, if this talented and famous artist has chosen to retire in Las Cruces, it most be because he has found something good in that town. So, I started to explore Las Cruces in the Internet and in travel books. However before making my final decision, I traveled extensively in Texas, Arkansas, Arizona, Mexico, Alabama, Tennessee, the Carolinas, the Pacific West Coast and New Mexico looking for a good spot too retire. Let me make clear that chosing where to retire is a very personal thing, it does not mean that other parts aren't good. For instance, I loved the Pacific Northwest but the constant rain and the high humidity index played havoc with my arthritis. Mexico was interesting to me, because I'm bi-lingual and could easily adapt. Some parts of Mexico attracted my atttention, like Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta on the Pacific Coast, lovely sites and quite affordable. Inland I checked Guanajuato, Queretaro and San Miguel de Allende, nice cities with a great climate and also very affordable. The things that made me decide not to go to Mexico were:
1- Quality of health care in the province is not very reliable
2- Public health in some towns leaves a lot to be desired, like poor quality of drinking water, disease transmiting mosquitoes, contaminated raw vegetables and fruits. etc.
3- High crime index
4- A very limited market for my paintings (since I'm an artist), difficulty in obtaining good quality painting supplies
5- Very complicated immigration laws that prohibited me to bring my own automobile and household appliances.
6- A lot of red tape for buying property
7- I was forbidden to work or make any money there
So I gave up, because I had no chance even if goiing there as an illegal, because they are jailed like criminals and deported.
I'm happy for having chosen las Cruces as my new home, because it has many of the things I like and which will be redundant to describe. My advice to people who are looking for a retirement place is to do enough traveling to see by yourself, because no one can see the same things that your eyes can see. Renting is a wise idea if you don't mind having to move again. I personaly hate movng and prefer to take the chance of moving just one time.

Old 05-09-2007, 11:20 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,562,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilegal View Post
I am in Alamogordo, and love it. Close to the mountains, and close (70mi) to Cruces.
I love the Sacramento mountains....So neat to go up the mountain (U.S..82) in hard core desert and about ten miles up to go thru a Tunnel in the mountain and come out the other side and be in beautiful pine trees for hundreds of square miles.

Old 05-10-2007, 12:17 PM

178 posts, read 800,132 times
I lived in Alamogordo for years and now am in Las Cruces and have been through Deming many times. I'd suggest Alamogordo, which is half an hr. from the mts. It has a very nice small town feeling (for the southwest). You don't get that unified town feeling in Las Cruces, where there is a lot of sprawl and a general feeling of "disconnect". The air is better in Alamogordo and it isn't quite as hot, plus you can drive to cooler temps in a short amt. of time. Good luck.

Old 05-10-2007, 12:34 PM

178 posts, read 800,132 times
Mesilla is small and I believe the housing costs are higher than Las Cruces. As it is in the Rio Grande river valley, there is a lot of agricultural land there. That includes adjacent to housing. At certain times in the fall, spring and to a lesser extent the winter, they do a LOT OF open BURNING! This is not illegal here. It makes breathing very difficult for a lot of people. If your dwelling has evaporative cooling instead of AC, the outside air is sucked inside. I've had that problem and it's awful. All this burning contributes to the air pollution levels here. If you like the area, I'd stick to Las Cruces.

Old 05-10-2007, 01:15 PM

21 posts, read 61,389 times
Default Seattle to Las Cruces

I was hoping I could get some kind of feedback as to what the job market is like in Las Cruces in the contruction industry. I currently work for a residential builder in the Seattle area as a construction estimator and would like to do something similar in Las Cruces. I have a bachelor's degree in Business Administration and would like to work for a reputable company that would benefit from my work experience and education. Seattle has become just too expensive and crowded and I would like to experience something entirely different. I love the idea of living in a smaller community with more the 3 months of nice weather a year. The dark and gloomy days have finally gotten to me.

I am somewhat familiar with New Mexico. My mother was raised in Los Alamos (grandfather and uncle worked for Lab) and my wife attended graduate school at NMSU and has always wanted to move back. I had the opportunity to visit Las Cruces 3 times back in 2000 & 2001 but did not really check the area out as far as employment goes. Any insight would be appreciated.

Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces