Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 07:43 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,158,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeshee1 View Post
It sounds like it's just a milder fall and winter there than I am used to here in VA.
I guess I should have emphasized when I said it seems like an "average" fall this year, I was speaking in terms of "eyes of THIS beholder." In fact, I was thinking way back in late August that it was feeling like an early fall this year.

This item in the news today claims it's been anything BUT a normal October:

this-october-is-one-of-hottest-on-record

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2016, 08:28 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,275,364 times
I figured as much, Joqua. It's been really warm in Cruces. I'm still using my AC every afternoon and usually this time of year is that wonderful medium where you don't have to use heat or cooling for a month or two. Not that I'm complaining. It's very nice and I'm going to enjoy spending the day outside today and lunch at Chope's!

Old 10-29-2016, 09:43 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,158,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
I'm going to enjoy spending the day outside today and lunch at Chope's!
I'm envious. I had to defer to going with friends to La Posta on Sunday. I had the 2-relleno breakfast menu plate. They, being from MN, enjoyed sitting in the sun on the patio. I chose to be under an umbrella! And it was warm enough on the plaza in Mesilla that I sought out the shade where I could find it.

Old 10-29-2016, 11:43 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeshee1 View Post
I noticed in northern NM like Santa Fe or Taos, the colors are turning golden yellow, but I see in areas of southern NM the temps are still rather warm like they are here (70s-80s even now). I am wondering if it's because this year has been warmer than normal all over the US, or if the southern areas of NM like La Luz and Alamogordo just don't really get those chilly autumn temps? We may move down there and I'd really miss autumn if it just goes straight to winter without the beautiful fall air and changing leaves. What's a normal fall season like down there?
It varies...

A little further north in Albuquerque, about 200 miles north of Las Cruces, yesterday, some fall colors, IMG_0488 by Ricardo, on Flickr:

And still nice enough to play in the Rio Grande. IMG_0503 by Ricardo, on Flickr:

Old 10-30-2016, 11:36 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,266,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
I figured as much, Joqua. It's been really warm in Cruces. I'm still using my AC every afternoon and usually this time of year is that wonderful medium where you don't have to use heat or cooling for a month or two. Not that I'm complaining. It's very nice and I'm going to enjoy spending the day outside today and lunch at Chope's!
Been a warm October I noticed, forecast high today for LC is 88F
Over 10 degrees above normal.

Old 10-31-2016, 10:36 PM

5,703 posts, read 4,276,476 times
You may be happier in cooler, moister northern New Mexico. People don't move to Las Cruces because they "enjoy cooler weather".

Old 11-05-2016, 10:18 AM

163 posts, read 171,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
You may be happier in cooler, moister northern New Mexico. People don't move to Las Cruces because they "enjoy cooler weather".
I would much prefer Northern NM for the weather/climate and the environment up there. However, we have a house in southern NM so that's where we will be... Long story but the main reason we're going there at all is because we've basically inherited the home and will have it rent/mortgage free. So for that, I'll deal with the warmer weather. heheh

Thanks to everyone for the insight and info!!

Old 11-09-2016, 10:38 AM

134 posts, read 190,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Other than coastal California, and the Sierra Nevadas, this is the best weather in the country, in my opinion. This has been one of the most beautiful October's weather wise since I first moved here 11 years ago. It's been sunny and in the 80s almost every day. The cottonwood in the backyard still hasn't changed colors, yet. That usually happens in the next few weeks.
Better than Ft Laud/Miami in the Winter? Hard to believe. I have been in LC in the winter and it's very cold at night sometimes

Old 11-09-2016, 10:55 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangolufsen View Post
Better than Ft Laud/Miami in the Winter? Hard to believe. I have been in LC in the winter and it's very cold at night sometimes
I grew up in "Ft Laud/Miami"... We could go back if we wanted to. But we prefer the weather here in the ABQ area.

The thread title is Does Southern NM Get a real Autumn?

Ft Laud/Miami" has no Autumn as far as I'm concerned. We do go back to visit the area on occasion.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 11-16-2016 at 12:00 PM..

Old 02-10-2017, 10:25 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
southern NM doesn't have a true fall like New England or even like we have here in NWA but overall NM has great weather. Sure, Las Crucus can have a few cold nights in mid winter, who wouldn't welcome that? I It is healthy and nice to feel that brisk air. BTW, the wonderful spring makes up for the lack of color in the fall .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces