U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 11:19 AM

488 posts, read 739,951 times
Default What is Las Cruces REALLY like?

Hi there, I am considering a move to Las Cruces (from Colorado) and I want to hear some feedback on what the social/political climate is like --
liberal?
conservative?
Democrats?
Republicans?
I am looking for a more liberal town that is diverse and open-minded. Do you think Las Cruces is like that?
Also, is it a kid-friendly community? Good schools? how much of a problem is gang activity?
I have been to LC once and really liked it. But being desert landscape, I also have to ask: are there many snakes there? (I HATE snakes!)
Any feedback you could give would be much appreciated!

Old 02-25-2008, 11:50 AM

2,866 posts, read 4,099,986 times
How's this for contradiction? It's fairly conservative, but goes Democratic in most elections. It's also a college town which promotes more liberalism.

Don't know much any more about the schools, but probably on par with the rest of the state (whether that's bad or good is debatable). I have never been in a gang or known anyone who is, but I hear they exist.

There are snakes, but you can go years without seeing one. Or you can find one curled up in a cool spot in your bedroom.

Old 02-25-2008, 12:00 PM

19 posts, read 53,521 times
I've been in Alamogordo, NM for 2 years and haven't seen a snake or scorpion yet... Am I just a lucky one???

Old 02-25-2008, 12:03 PM

2,320 posts, read 3,783,755 times
I was wondering the same thing. Yesterday when surfing around I found a website called Hippie Havens that lists Las Cruces as one of the places in New Mexico to live.
Hippie Havens

A food co-cop is mentioned.
Mountain View Market - Home

It is near White Sands National Monument.
White Sands National Monument (U.S. National Park Service)

I've been to southern New Mexico a couple of times. I think it is as pretty or prettier than northern New Mexico. It kind of has a mystical vibe.

Old 02-25-2008, 12:34 PM

7,646 posts, read 11,164,796 times
I think Las Cruces is left of center, politically. However, the remainder of Dona Ana County is somewhat more conservative, following the usual pattern exhibited in this country whereby cities tend to be more liberal, and rural areas more conservative. I think the last presidential election in DA County was 52% for Kerry, and 48% for Bush.

Old 02-25-2008, 05:21 PM

3,223 posts, read 5,769,540 times
Many views are conservative but the voting will lean toward the democrats. Mainly because of social issues (health care, education). Las Cruces is more open minded then most of New Mexico because of the University.

The conservative views tend to be along the lines of... do not take away our guns , hunting, or gas guzzling trucks. Land and water rights are big issues and can get heated.

Las Cruces is very kid friendly and the schools are good. It is a one school district town (K-12). Las Cruces has 3 High Schools and one Alternative High School. A fourth High School is in the works. High School Football is king in Las Cruces...then NMSU basketball....followed by NMSU football.

Gangs do exist...many are wannabe gangsters but there are some real ones scattered in the area. At one time El Paso had the worse gang problem in the state of Texas....but they have really worked to clean it up.

The food is the best in New Mexico. Green Chile from Hatch cannot be matched anywhere...Simply the best in the World.

Snakes and other critters do exist. It all depends on where you live. I ran into my share of rattlers, scorpions, centipedes, and tarantulas when I lived out on the East Mesa.

I would agree that Las Cruces can be seen as a Hippie Haven. If you have open space then people tend to respect your land. The attitude toward marijuana use is somewhat laxed. The Art scene is growing and the music scene is good.

The police department still has a bit of the buddy system attitude. I know many police officers in the area and if you are a friend or family member of one then you are golden. Meaning they will let you walk with a possible DUI or minor possession. I have seen it with my own eyes...

Old 02-25-2008, 06:26 PM

12,998 posts, read 23,818,152 times
I think Las Cruces is a great city. Its population is around 90,000 and about 130,000 metro and growing so not too large but large enough to offer all the amenities. It's going thru a Downtown renovation as they are building a new City Hall and a new Federal Building (second highrise) and also opened up the Downtown Mall and other renovations going on.

NMSU has a student enrollment of around 18,000 and going thru full renovations and expansions there as well as the new Arrowhead research Park under construction there.

The Space Port is being built about 45 miles north of it and several Rocket Component assemby companies are moving into LC on the West Mesa Industrial Park.

The Organ Mountains are very nice and unique to gaze at and you can go to Aguirre Springs and hang out on them and also some great mountain climbing and repelling on the shear cliffs on them.

As a kid living in Las Cruces in the 1970's i remember the Hippies on the Freeway Ramps with cardboard signs saying California as they were trying to leave LC to get out there so now i think it's cool the same aging Hippies are coming back to live in Las Cruces.

6/3

Old 04-06-2008, 04:16 PM

7,851 posts, read 12,245,589 times
There are snakes, but you can go years without seeing one. Or you can find one curled up in a cool spot in your bedroom.

can this be true ? .....

Be kinder than necessary for everyone is fighting some kind of battle.

Old 04-06-2008, 04:34 PM

12,998 posts, read 23,818,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post

can this be true ? .....
Not saying it couldn't happen but that is just highly unlikely. If your wondering out in the Chihuahuan desert you could run into one of the desert critteres that live out there. But people go hiking on the desert trails and horseback riding and motor cross dirt biking or mountain biking on them all the time and never have a problem ....Nancy.

The only time in the desert i was a tad worried was when i was in Arizona in august traveling on Interstate-10 from Las Cruces to Phoenix and was worried that if i got a flat tire i'd have to worry about burning myself on the asphalt as it was so hot and secondly about scorpions come wondering up while i was changing my tire if that situation happened although i believe most of them are nocturnal (steve o ?). I worry alot less living in New Mexico than in Arizona on those things.

So if you move out this way relax about those things Nancy

Old 04-07-2008, 12:44 AM

574 posts, read 1,433,752 times
Default S-s-s-nakes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post

can this be true ? .....
Gosh, I wish Domino would quit saying that thing about snakes in the bedroom. I find it's the kind of statement that stays in my mind...

We lived in Las Cruces for a year and will probably end up back there eventually. It IS a very mystical place, and that's just really hard to convey to someone who hasn't been there.

But back to the snakes. My husband and I spent a lot of time out in the desert, walking and bike riding, and we marveled at the fact that we had never seen a snake out there. Then one day we we were looking at a wildlife display; I believe it was at a bank or at the mall. There was a plexiglas cage set into a wall and it couldn't have contained more than an 18 square inch floor, furnished with gravelly desert soil, rocks, and plants; and supposedly containing one of the varieties of desert rattlesnake. We stared into the cage--noses right up to it--for the longest time and finally concluded that the snake must be away on vacation. We were concentrating hard on what was right in front of us at chest level and we honestly couldn't see any animal in there when, omigosh, there he was--it was like he materialized without making a move--right in front of our eyes. I have never seen such an amazing example of camouflage.

What made the hairs rise a bit on the back of my neck was the sudden realization that while we hadn't "seen" any snakes out in the desert, plenty of them had probably seen us!

~clairz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces