Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 01:13 PM

29 posts, read 71,380 times

Advertisements

Hey tepcatl,
Wish I could have met you! You just might have made me laugh and not turn tale and run.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2009, 01:40 PM

206 posts, read 534,297 times
Best way to go is renting a room from someone, maybe an elderly lady or whatever. I have done this several times over the years in my many gypsy-like wanderings. Also, a good entry level job that can be had in most larger city's is a security guard, no skill required.

Old 10-25-2009, 07:38 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,851,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skprdh View Post
Hey, glad you made it through the forest, I probably wouldn't have. One thing that helped me not spend so much was that I was too upset to eat. LOL
I too went by the apts on Craigslist and American Classifieds when basing my decision to move there. After getting there and seeing some of them for $400 or $650 that to me were not very good, I went to the complexes. As far as the comment if I can't afford a higher end rental I probably shouldn't be in one, I know where I belong so that's why I came home. It wasn't a wise decision to lower my housing and salary all for the sake of the weather. But don't you think twice when I'm digging out of the snow I'll be thinking of that beautiful city of LC!!
Well, you'll just have to fly in to El Paso and drive to Cruces (about 40 miles) for a visit.

I hear you on the Indiana snow. I have never been as cold as I was in IN/IL....and I couldn't put on enough clothes. I had my SKI longjohns and everything else with me...and I was still cold!! It's the humidity and dampness/wet snow. A NM or a CO cold doesn't bother me at all because it's dry. That makes all of the difference.

There is also an opposite to what you experienced. Those of us (like me) that are used to very long stretches of solitude can get REALLY antsy when we run into heavy, heavy traffic in various places. I drove from West Texas to Charlottesville, VA....and the farther east I went, the more tense and stressed I got. Bumper to bumper, people EVERYWHERE....thick, heavy traffic...I was so danged tired when I got to VA that I got out of the car and did not drive again until I had to go home.

The same thing happened on the way home, except that it was at the start of the trip, rather than the ending. Once I was past Dallas-Fort Worth on I-20, it was smooth sailing the rest of the trip.

Old 10-26-2009, 10:51 PM

29 posts, read 71,380 times
I had to laugh about the clothes. My kids tell me when we get snow that I wear more clothes to bed than most people wear outside! I'll be freezing from now til May . I can imagine how nervous you were. I guess it's all what you're used to. My daughter just today said she couldn't imagine why I was so scared with nothing out there if I can drive bumper to bumper at 80mph. Ha! If she only knew...

Old 09-13-2015, 05:09 AM

292 posts, read 724,124 times
It should be noted that the main difference in ABQ and LC is the wages. In general, while entry level wages are relatively low in ABQ, they are typically near or at the minimum wage due to being in the Borderlands. Another factor that should be considered is being bilingual. If you plan on working retail, food service, or convenience that skill will help quite a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces