Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2020, 10:35 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knrstz View Post
I guess when I say overlooked, I mean that it doesn't get the credit it deserves. I live near Fayetteville, Ar and its popping up on "best places to live" lists constantly. When I look at LC, the weather, scenery, COL, it just seems like it should be more popular. Did you find LC to be a pretty place?
I/we (My wife and I) have had some business connections and friends in Las Cruces, an easy 4.5 hour drive of 300 miles. We also have long time friends in Arizona... I have always enjoyed the great Southwest.

In the last 40 years or so, we had moved a lot due to employment. My wife picked our last move 20 years ago which was a job promotion for her. So we ended up in the Albuquerque area.

I have lived in the states of AL, AZ, FL, GA, MA, MD, NM, NY, PA, SC, TX and several Overseas locations.

I spent 22 years of continuous active duty in the U.S. Military. That is one reason we moved around...

This current location is the longest my wife and I have lived in one location, 20 years in the same spot and same house... We have been retired for a while now... Some family members had followed us here. I use to go on a lot of business trips and wondered and gawked about places I had business's to deal with.

I seem to recall a trip to Fayetteville, Arkansas... All I remember was the aircraft at the museum. (My wife and I are/were private pilots, we use to own a Cessna 150, aircraft.)

My wife and I have no problems with the possibility of living in Las Cruces, we just settled where we currently are at...

ADDED:

Pictures, Trip to Las Cruces, March 3, 2016: https://www.flickr.com/photos/poncho...57665807176135
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2020, 10:45 AM

17,772 posts, read 13,665,953 times
I don't think Las Cruces is scenic at all compared to Tucson, Flagstaff or Albuquerque but compared to El Paso I think it is.

It is very brown there except for down by the river where it is pretty green. It is high desert with mountains close to the east and more distant to the west.

The other thing that is disappointing about LC is although there are some nicer new neighborhoods and a nice old area in Mesilla Park, there is no old part of town that is very nice like you see in some cities and towns. The housing and stuff they put up from the 40s to the 70s is downright horrific except for up on the east Mesa. Some very nice neighborhoods up there.
Also some really nice newer stuff that is more remote out on the west Mesa. But the middle of town is pretty crummy.

The scenery doesn't hold up to the places you mentioned in the original post and that's probably why it's not mentioned. But you aren't far from some really nice mountains. A little over an hour away you can be in some really beautiful areas.

Old 02-01-2020, 02:46 PM

5,703 posts, read 4,276,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I don't think Las Cruces is scenic at all compared to Tucson, Flagstaff or Albuquerque but compared to El Paso I think it is.

It is very brown there except for down by the river where it is pretty green. It is high desert with mountains close to the east and more distant to the west.

The other thing that is disappointing about LC is although there are some nicer new neighborhoods and a nice old area in Mesilla Park, there is no old part of town that is very nice like you see in some cities and towns. The housing and stuff they put up from the 40s to the 70s is downright horrific except for up on the east Mesa. Some very nice neighborhoods up there.
Also some really nice newer stuff that is more remote out on the west Mesa. But the middle of town is pretty crummy.

The scenery doesn't hold up to the places you mentioned in the original post and that's probably why it's not mentioned. But you aren't far from some really nice mountains. A little over an hour away you can be in some really beautiful areas.

I agree some of the mid 20th century neighborhoods aren't that appealing, but these places you say are nice are the very antithesis of the same "old part of town" neighborhoods that you seem to lament the lack of. They are very suburban to outright sprawling, gobbling up large tracts of open land, and have none of the close-knit charm of old neighborhoods. And I suspect they are populated in large part by people who don't have roots in the area.

But there are some of those old neighborhoods in Las Cruces too, like the Mesquite-Tornillo area for one example. There are scattered pockets elsewhere.

Old 02-01-2020, 08:51 PM

9,374 posts, read 20,787,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
I agree some of the mid 20th century neighborhoods aren't that appealing, but these places you say are nice are the very antithesis of the same "old part of town" neighborhoods that you seem to lament the lack of. They are very suburban to outright sprawling, gobbling up large tracts of open land, and have none of the close-knit charm of old neighborhoods. And I suspect they are populated in large part by people who don't have roots in the area.

But there are some of those old neighborhoods in Las Cruces too, like the Mesquite-Tornillo area for one example. There are scattered pockets elsewhere.
The old town section of Las Cruces COULD be leveraged and be quite beautiful. My belief is that at some time in the future, 40-50 years from now, it will be. It has similar architecture to Mesilla. But it is, in spite of some recently arrived businesses in the Tornillo-Mesquite old town area, a very depressed neighborhood. There remain a lot of old abandoned buildings in this district. However, if Main St continues to draw life into its veins on Friday and Saturday nights, as well as the Saturday morning farmers market, I do not rule out a renaissance at some point in the future.

Old 02-02-2020, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
The old town section of Las Cruces COULD be leveraged and be quite beautiful. My belief is that at some time in the future, 40-50 years from now, it will be. It has similar architecture to Mesilla. But it is, in spite of some recently arrived businesses in the Tornillo-Mesquite old town area, a very depressed neighborhood. There remain a lot of old abandoned buildings in this district. However, if Main St continues to draw life into its veins on Friday and Saturday nights, as well as the Saturday morning farmers market, I do not rule out a renaissance at some point in the future.

Yes but a renaissance/gentrification will put more money in the pockets of people who already have it, and will do little for if not further marginalize the low income people who live there now. The same way Mesilla has been priced out of the reach of the average local. Predominantly low income, working-class neighborhoods, that's what these places always were before being revived into vacation and retirement homes for Californians (and others). Well there was always a mix of rich and poor, to be sure, at least in Mesilla, but the trend is heavily slanted toward the richer in Mesilla now.

Old 02-02-2020, 10:02 AM

16,068 posts, read 10,726,642 times
Quote:
Ticks are nuthin its the damn chiggers that'll make you jump off a cliff.
I was a tick magnet.

Old 02-02-2020, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I was a tick magnet.

See, ticks HATE me! I don't know why, but I'm sure glad. I only wish the mosquitoes and blackflies hated me half as much...but they luuuuuuuuuv me.

Old 02-03-2020, 10:22 AM

16,068 posts, read 10,726,642 times
As I understand it there was an urban renewal effort in Las Cruces in the 1960s that still is a bit controversial with some long time residents. The city planners did a job on the downtown area. The link is to a thesis abstract that gives an idea of what happened.

https://digitalrepository.unm.edu/hist_etds/85/

If you google old post card images you can see what happened.

Old 02-03-2020, 03:54 PM

1,134 posts, read 3,188,627 times
I'm more in to the natural scenery than the beauty of a city. As long as the city itself isn't a total dump, the aesthetics of the city don't really matter to me. I used to live in Naples, FL which is extremely manicured and regulated city. It was nice but I just get bored in places that are flat. Can't wait to visit.

Old 02-03-2020, 04:50 PM

17,772 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:

Yes, east Mesa neighborhoods are certainly not "old part of town" but they are still are nice neighborhoods.

And talking about scattered pockets, there is some nice older homes on Alameda north of dowtown but I wouldn't even say it's a full neighborhood.

Quote:
I'm more in to the natural scenery than the beauty of a city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces