Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2020, 06:34 AM

1,134 posts, read 3,190,073 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are very intrigued on the possibility of moving to Las Cruces. We will of course come visit before making the move. I was curious if people consider Las Cruces a scenic place to live. The reason I ask is because the more research I do, LC seems a bit undiscovered. When people talk about beauty in the SW, Flagstaff, Sedona, parts of Utah, Colorado and Santa Fe are often mentioned while LC is overlooked.

Currently we live in the Ozarks which are hilly and lush. Imo, many places in the desert look very harsh during the peak sunny hours of the day but really come alive with the sunrise and sunset. So for those that live in LC or are familiar with it, do you find LC beautiful? Does the lack of greenery bother you or does that fact that you are close to Lincoln National forest help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2020, 09:49 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,758,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knrstz View Post
My wife and I are very intrigued on the possibility of moving to Las Cruces.
My first visit to Las Cruces would have been around 1968 for what I can consider business (I was in the U.S. Military) and it was quite a surprise to me... I have returned to the area several times over the years. My wife and I have lived in the Albuquerque area for the past 20 years.

Under different circumstances I would have considered possibly staying in Las Cruces. I never considered Las Cruces overlooked, and there is also a lot to see in Arizonia, Texas, Colorado and even Mexico...

Old 01-31-2020, 11:07 AM

1,134 posts, read 3,190,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
My first visit to Las Cruces would have been around 1968 for what I can consider business (I was in the U.S. Military) and it was quite a surprise to me... I have returned to the area several times over the years. My wife and I have lived in the Albuquerque area for the past 20 years.

Under different circumstances I would have considered possibly staying in Las Cruces. I never considered Las Cruces overlooked, and there is also a lot to see in Arizonia, Texas, Colorado and even Mexico...
I guess when I say overlooked, I mean that it doesn't get the credit it deserves. I live near Fayetteville, Ar and its popping up on "best places to live" lists constantly. When I look at LC, the weather, scenery, COL, it just seems like it should be more popular. Did you find LC to be a pretty place?

Old 01-31-2020, 12:45 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,795,594 times
Quote:
I guess when I say overlooked, I mean that it doesn't get the credit it deserves. I live near Fayetteville, Ar and its popping up on "best places to live" lists constantly. When I look at LC, the weather, scenery, COL, it just seems like it should be more popular. Did you find LC to be a pretty place?
As far as the scenery, definitely. When it comes to the human design element, i.e. planning, zoning, and what makes a town look more habitable, I say not as much. And I say that as a realtor whose job it is to promote the area. I will be honest: the main arterial roads are nothing pretty to look at, particularly when it comes to signage. There are areas on the eastern side of the city that residential that abut the Organ Mountains. These are million dollar views. Particularly the Talavera section behind A Mountain. But if you compare Sedona and Santa Fe, the difference between those two cities and Las Cruces are pretty much architectural standards and what can and can't be constructed and how it can be constructed. This is a blessing or a curse, depending on your perspective. From a business perspective, and a consumer standard, this is a good thing. For someone who wants something more elevated, perhaps not as much. Mesilla is an exception. Mesilla is more like Santa Fe. The town council there will regulate to a much greater degree what can be constructed via the covenants, conditions and restrictions that govern subdivisions much more so than Cruces. The good news is that if you choose this type of lifestyle, Mesilla is not that far away.

The views in this city of mountains are almost unparalleled. As well as your perspective of the Rio Grande Valley from the mesa. And people are coming here in droves. I've never been so busy.

Old 01-31-2020, 01:58 PM

5,710 posts, read 4,284,252 times
Quote:
My wife and I are very intrigued on the possibility of moving to Las Cruces. We will of course come visit before making the move. I was curious if people consider Las Cruces a scenic place to live. The reason I ask is because the more research I do, LC seems a bit undiscovered.

Undiscovered means it hasn't been ruined by discovery. Yet.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/55329664-post16.html

Old 01-31-2020, 08:30 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,377,272 times
Quote:
My wife and I are very intrigued on the possibility of moving to Las Cruces. We will of course come visit before making the move. I was curious if people consider Las Cruces a scenic place to live. The reason I ask is because the more research I do, LC seems a bit undiscovered. When people talk about beauty in the SW, Flagstaff, Sedona, parts of Utah, Colorado and Santa Fe are often mentioned while LC is overlooked.

Currently we live in the Ozarks which are hilly and lush. Imo, many places in the desert look very harsh during the peak sunny hours of the day but really come alive with the sunrise and sunset. So for those that live in LC or are familiar with it, do you find LC beautiful? Does the lack of greenery bother you or does that fact that you are close to Lincoln National forest help?
I do think Las Cruces is scenic.

Old 01-31-2020, 09:11 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,862,153 times
I have been to Las Cruces and the Organ Mountains are some of the most interesting mountains I have seen.

That area of New Mexico seems to have lots of underrated scenery. I sort got a hint of the scenery but I have found out about Ruidoso, Alamogordo and Cloudcroft which seem very scenic also.

Las Cruces also seemed like a relatively clean city last time I was there which was about 2 years ago in the late summer.

Lots of pecan trees just outside of the city. I find Las Cruces has a bit more trees, flowery plants then El Paso also just a bit south. Maybe it's the more monsoon rain and slightly cooler temperatures.

Las Cruces has excellent weather also. Very underrated in that department.

The winters are very mild except chilly mornings and the summers there are very warm but not excessively so and they cool down nicely also it seems most nights.

Old 01-31-2020, 09:17 PM

8,491 posts, read 4,735,625 times
I had a load to Las Cruces a few years ago. Fine scenery. Built environment wasn’t super pretty, but I’m not that fixated on it when the views are nice. I can’t comment as much on how nice the people are; I was a transient and I was treated OK.

Old 01-31-2020, 09:49 PM

16,078 posts, read 10,738,506 times
It is scenic in a desert sense. The Organ Mountains have a commanding place east of town. They have a barren, spire-like beauty from a distance. There is much more vegetation when you get closer (oaks and junipers if I remember right). This is a National Monument with plenty of recreational options. Southern New Mexico has a different sort of appeal and beauty from the northern part of the state. The city dates to the railroad era and was described by an elderly friend who lives there as being Albuquerque of 40 years ago...I wouldn't know. The university campus is quite nice. "Old" Mesilla to the south is a nice historical area.

I live near Albuquerque but I'm from Missouri and lived on the edge of the Ozarks for 35 years. There is no real way to compare the two. I prefer the desert now and when I go back the Ozarks look jungle-like and tick infested. There are plenty of green places in New Mexico if you need to visit dense greenery from time to time.

Old 01-31-2020, 10:26 PM

5,710 posts, read 4,284,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
It is scenic in a desert sense. The Organ Mountains have a commanding place east of town. They have a barren, spire-like beauty from a distance. There is much more vegetation when you get closer (oaks and junipers if I remember right). This is a National Monument with plenty of recreational options. Southern New Mexico has a different sort of appeal and beauty from the northern part of the state. The city dates to the railroad era and was described by an elderly friend who lives there as being Albuquerque of 40 years ago...I wouldn't know. The university campus is quite nice. "Old" Mesilla to the south is a nice historical area.

I live near Albuquerque but I'm from Missouri and lived on the edge of the Ozarks for 35 years. There is no real way to compare the two. I prefer the desert now and when I go back the Ozarks look jungle-like and tick infested. There are plenty of green places in New Mexico if you need to visit dense greenery from time to time.

Ticks are nuthin its the damn chiggers that'll make you jump off a cliff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces