Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2020, 07:47 PM

5,622 posts, read 4,162,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I think you probably have it harder to shop in Las Cruces than we do do elsewhere because of the remoteness.

I don't know if any of this is of use to you, here's where people by me have been getting food and supplies. Our local restaurants have been selling raw meat, uncooked eggs, paper towels, toilet paper, gallons of milk, veggies, etc. The janitorial places have been selling toilet paper and cleaning supplies. We have the option of ordering and pickup through Walmart and the grocery stores. IIRC, LC was about an hour from El Paso. Do you have the option of doing an online order and picking it up from Walmart or a grocery store in El Paso? Orders here are taking more than a day or so to get filled. It may be worth it to carpool down with a couple of people who have been careful with exposure and go pick some stuff up. Have you tried shopping through Amazon or elsewhere and having stuff shipped? I've done that instead of going store to store. Amazon has had more stuff in stock again these last couple of days.

Misses the point. The points is that people should stop buying more than they need. THAT will solve the problem. There are shortages in El Paso too, in fact manufacturers are issuing warnings that if people don't grow up the shortages will continue. .

https://kvia.com/news/business-techn...will-continue/

Healthcare leaders say the 'panic shopping' must stop. The Chief Medical Officer of University Medical Center said the habit can have consequences, particularly for older adults and at-risk individuals.
"I think it makes a big burden for them and it puts them at an increased jeopardy if they have to keep hunting for these supplies," said Dr. Joel Hendryx.
Sterling agrees, and said if the hoarding doesn't stop, the shortages never will.

"Buy only what you need," he said, "because this is going to continue to keep happening in the market."

In other words, exactly what I've been saying all along, and have been criticized for saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2020, 06:46 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,160,112 times
Quote:
I think you probably have it harder to shop in Las Cruces than we do do elsewhere because of the remoteness.

I don't know if any of this is of use to you, here's where people by me have been getting food and supplies. Our local restaurants have been selling raw meat, uncooked eggs, paper towels, toilet paper, gallons of milk, veggies, etc. The janitorial places have been selling toilet paper and cleaning supplies. We have the option of ordering and pickup through Walmart and the grocery stores. IIRC, LC was about an hour from El Paso. Do you have the option of doing an online order and picking it up from Walmart or a grocery store in El Paso? Orders here are taking more than a day or so to get filled. It may be worth it to carpool down with a couple of people who have been careful with exposure and go pick some stuff up. Have you tried shopping through Amazon or elsewhere and having stuff shipped? I've done that instead of going store to store. Amazon has had more stuff in stock again these last couple of days.
Thanks; our biggest challenge right now I think is: Walmart does have curb side pick up but not on any fresh produce, meat or frozen items; Sam's as I said have limited supplies of almost everything and we, as seniors and some health issues are not comfortable going inside the stores. I think, here as well as in NM this will be over possibly sooner than some are predicting. That doesn't mean tomorrow or next week, but maybe in 3 or 4 weeks. By over, I mean some regulations will be lifted.

Old 03-29-2020, 01:12 PM

4,963 posts, read 5,215,560 times
Groceries are hit or miss around here. I think part of the problem is not the hoarding as much that we are being forced away from our normal routines and resources have to be reallocated. My husband was gone during the week and only back on weekends so I wasn't feeding him except 2-3 days a week. My youngest was eating at school during the day and she ate out or I fed her at night. My oldest is unexpectedly back from college. We also eat out a couple of times or more a week. I went from feeding 2.5 people during the day to 5 people full time. I can find food to feed five people at the grocery store, but a 6 count or 1 dozen egg count limit does't work with what I normally serve when all of my people are home. My college kid decided to be a vegetarian this year. If I actually cook, I either want something fresh with fresh meat and veggies or I want something easy and I've warned the vegetarian kid, he may have to go back to eating whatever I serve because we can't divert all the eggs and his other food choices to him. We are not going out unless needed. Coming up with a new plan of attack for feeding everyone is harder. I know I don't have the struggles of more limited resources.

Not sure if NM has been re-implemented what is basically the summer school lunch program, but they have it here and in other states where kids can pick up a daily meal from the school. Some areas are even sending meals out to be delivered through the bus routes.

Old 03-29-2020, 09:02 PM

Studious students who didn't leave their dorms to go party for 2 weeks are still able to live and eat at NMSU through the semester. Those who left during spring break can't come back. Ouch.

I want to thank the 2 guys who helped me out today when I was in a bind. The first guy I asked, who was probably 70ish, declined to help me because of "the current situation". I said that's totally understandable, but quickly found another guy who helped me twice, and yet another guy who went waaay out of his way to help me later.

I also want to thank the Governor, who I think smartly moved earlier than many other governors to shut down the state and reduce the spread while numbers were still quite low. It remains to be seen if it will save us from the worst, but she moved much quicker than other governors who I believe are going to regret their delay.

Old 04-09-2020, 08:46 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,598,549 times
So, today, I am going to take my 60+ year old self out to ship toilet paper and other necessities to my family in LC because they haven’t been able to find any anywhere for the past week.

Shameful.

Old 04-09-2020, 11:35 AM

4,937 posts, read 7,297,366 times
Quote:
Groceries are hit or miss around here. I think part of the problem is not the hoarding as much that we are being forced away from our normal routines and resources have to be reallocated. My husband was gone during the week and only back on weekends so I wasn't feeding him except 2-3 days a week. My youngest was eating at school during the day and she ate out or I fed her at night. My oldest is unexpectedly back from college. We also eat out a couple of times or more a week. I went from feeding 2.5 people during the day to 5 people full time.
Exactly, multiply this by thousands of people and you have unprecedented demand for everything which the stores are not prepared for. Personally I haven't seen anyone who looked like they were "hoarding" anything. I think that gets overblown because it's easier to blame "hoarders" than it is to understand how demand alone can create shortages in a pandemic. People see an empty shelf and assume a couple of hoarders took everything, instead of thinking that actually hundreds of families now need more of that product.

Old 04-13-2020, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
Exactly, multiply this by thousands of people and you have unprecedented demand for everything which the stores are not prepared for. Personally I haven't seen anyone who looked like they were "hoarding" anything. I think that gets overblown because it's easier to blame "hoarders" than it is to understand how demand alone can create shortages in a pandemic. People see an empty shelf and assume a couple of hoarders took everything, instead of thinking that actually hundreds of families now need more of that product.

Everybody, and I mean everybody, always buys tp. Everybody, always. And while some people with mental issues may stockpile it, there still has never been a shortage in my lifetime. Most people always buy what they need, and not much more.

Given these facts, there are only 2 ways that there could be a lack of TP. Either manufactures create a shortage by producing too little, or people buy way more than normal. Its not the former.

The shortage happened far before people had been staying home from work and pooping at home more, so that is NOT the cause.

Old 04-14-2020, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
So, today, I am going to take my 60+ year old self out to ship toilet paper and other necessities to my family in LC because they haven’t been able to find any anywhere for the past week.

Shameful.

I have seen TP twice in the last month (outside of my bathroom). Once, the guy in front of me in line was buying the last package and another time there were several packages on the shelf. I could have bought 3 but I bought one.

I really don't understand the hand sanitizer problem. It seems to be unavailable anywhere. This ticks me off because I always use hand sanitizer. I don't just use it during pandemics, I have always used it after leaving stores and gas stations and other germy places. I haven't seen any in a month. But it lasts such a long time, there is no reason for anyone to buy more than one! I had a partially used medium sized bottle a month ago and there is still probably enough for at least a week left.

So either people are buying way more than they did before (which means way more than they need) and/or lots of people who were once content to walk around with germy hands are suddenly buying it when they never did before, depriving us regular users something we have used all along. If people are staying home more, they don't need sanitizer. They can just wash their hands! It doesn't make any sense.

Well at least some of the food shelves are looking better than they did, although people are still buying eggs as fast as they can stock em.

Last edited by Deserterer; 04-14-2020 at 01:29 PM..

Old 04-15-2020, 09:01 AM

An "A" for hoarding and a C for adhering to social distancing/non-essential travel guidelines in Dona Ana County.
https://www.unacast.com/covid19/soci...ard#scoreboard

I was out for a bike ride on Thursday and the roads seemed as busy as before the pandemic. We've been fluctuating between a high C and low C over the past week.

Went to Walmart the other night and I would estimate less than 1 in 20 people wore masks.

Hoarding + poor compliance= every many for himself. Strange because people here certainly don't seem like but actions speak louder than words.

C'mon Las Cruces, get your act together.

Old 04-15-2020, 09:28 AM

9,333 posts, read 20,677,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
An "A" for hoarding and a C for adhering to social distancing/non-essential travel guidelines in Dona Ana County.
https://www.unacast.com/covid19/soci...ard#scoreboard

I was out for a bike ride on Thursday and the roads seemed as busy as before the pandemic. We've been fluctuating between a high C and low C over the past week.

Went to Walmart the other night and I would estimate less than 1 in 20 people wore masks.

Hoarding + poor compliance= every many for himself. Strange because people here certainly don't seem like but actions speak louder than words.

C'mon Las Cruces, get your act together.
I was piqued by the source of how it is determined "how compliant we are" when it comes to mobility, because I do think this pandemic is exposing a much greater problem: how we as Americans, when falsely scared, are willing to trade our freedom and our liberty for the ILLUSION of safety and security. So in pursuit of the Uncast Social Distancing "Scoreboard" this was the source:

"A Note About Privacy
The Social Distancing Scoreboard and other tools being developed for the Covid-19 Toolkit do not identify any individual person, device, or household. However to calculate the actual underlying social indexing score we combine tens of millions of anonymous mobile phones and their interactions with each other each day - and then extrapolate the results to the population level. As a company that originated in Norway we put privacy front and center and believe it to be an individual right, and since we operate on both sides of the Atlantic, we have been operating within the GDPR guidelines since May 2018 and this year also adopted the CCPA guidelines for the whole of the US (not only California)."

So our phones are, in essence, being tracked as a means to make sure we stay in line. Does this disturb any of you? For a virus that has killed, as of today, less people than influenza, we have been willing to as a nation, shanghai a $22 trillion dollar economy in less than 4 weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces