Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2021, 10:14 PM

137 posts, read 139,269 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any insight on which neighborhood HOAs should be avoided either due to excessive restrictions or overzealous boards/etc.?

Also, can people speak to general costs of HOAs here?

My wife and I would prefer to find a home without an HOA but we saw one today that was absolutely captivating aside from having an HOA ($140 per month to pay people to tell me what I can't do with my house bites me a bit the wrong way, but maybe I just don't appreciate the services offered) and I'd like to learn more about them in the area.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2021, 01:26 PM

9,328 posts, read 20,663,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoster View Post
Does anyone have any insight on which neighborhood HOAs should be avoided either due to excessive restrictions or overzealous boards/etc.?

Also, can people speak to general costs of HOAs here?

My wife and I would prefer to find a home without an HOA but we saw one today that was absolutely captivating aside from having an HOA ($140 per month to pay people to tell me what I can't do with my house bites me a bit the wrong way, but maybe I just don't appreciate the services offered) and I'd like to learn more about them in the area.

Thanks!
Hi Skoster,

There are three different types of HOAs in the Las Cruces area. They can be generally distinguished by gradations of amenities are involved. The first type of HOA is one that carries an annual fee only. In these HOAs these are smaller (I used to live in Las Alamedas) about $350-$500 annual. These HOAs are not gated, and what you are paying for is generally grounds maintenance. For instance Pinnacle View Road, which is in the HOA, has a divider in the middle of the road with foiliage. These HOAs do not usually have a very bonded architectural review committee, particularly the older ones. I once re-painted my house a blunt yellow, and had one neighbor that didn't like it very much. However, nothing was done.

The other HOAs with gated areas are generally much more restrictive in what can and cannot be done to your home or ways to utilize the existing space. If the community has a common area with a pool and/or clubhouse, the monthly fee that accompanies the annual fee will be much higher. This will definitely be the case for an HOA such as Morningstar Condominiums. The Boulders and Boulders 55 + will also have that distinction, as well as the Pueblos Phases I, II and III. In the unincorporated areas you will have some communities in the valley that also are gated, but without common areas. These will have restrictive code but will not have the common areas. Since there area gates only, the fee will be monthly, but not nearly as high.

If you want to DM me, I have many of the HOAs stored already on my laptop from prior transactions. I can also get into specific annual and/or monthly fees. I hope this helps.

Old 01-29-2021, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Hi Skoster,

There are three different types of HOAs in the Las Cruces area. They can be generally distinguished by gradations of amenities are involved. The first type of HOA is one that carries an annual fee only. In these HOAs these are smaller (I used to live in Las Alamedas) about $350-$500 annual. These HOAs are not gated, and what you are paying for is generally grounds maintenance. For instance Pinnacle View Road, which is in the HOA, has a divider in the middle of the road with foiliage. These HOAs do not usually have a very bonded architectural review committee, particularly the older ones. I once re-painted my house a blunt yellow, and had one neighbor that didn't like it very much. However, nothing was done.

The other HOAs with gated areas are generally much more restrictive in what can and cannot be done to your home or ways to utilize the existing space. If the community has a common area with a pool and/or clubhouse, the monthly fee that accompanies the annual fee will be much higher. This will definitely be the case for an HOA such as Morningstar Condominiums. The Boulders and Boulders 55 + will also have that distinction, as well as the Pueblos Phases I, II and III. In the unincorporated areas you will have some communities in the valley that also are gated, but without common areas. These will have restrictive code but will not have the common areas. Since there area gates only, the fee will be monthly, but not nearly as high.

If you want to DM me, I have many of the HOAs stored already on my laptop from prior transactions. I can also get into specific annual and/or monthly fees. I hope this helps.
Thanks, I'm looking at a house in "The Greens At Desert Hills" HOA and, reading through them, it just doesn't feel comfortable to give up that level of control. I mean, down to the specific number of pets (apparently, 2 is the magic number, including fish) just doesn't seem like it is going to be a comfortable existence.

I think we're going to look on and pass on this house. It's a shame, it's quite lovely, and checks most of our boxes.

Old 01-30-2021, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Thanks, I'm looking at a house in "The Greens At Desert Hills" HOA and, reading through them, it just doesn't feel comfortable to give up that level of control. I mean, down to the specific number of pets (apparently, 2 is the magic number, including fish) just doesn't seem like it is going to be a comfortable existence.

I think we're going to look on and pass on this house. It's a shame, it's quite lovely, and checks most of our boxes.
Out of curiosity Skoster, where is the Greens at Desert Hills located? The Desert Hills subdivision is off Telshor across the street from MMC but I highly doubt this is the neighborhood you are looking at.

Old 01-31-2021, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Out of curiosity Skoster, where is the Greens at Desert Hills located? The Desert Hills subdivision is off Telshor across the street from MMC but I highly doubt this is the neighborhood you are looking at.
Unfortunately I don't know, I went through quite a few areas and I'm not sure. Does El Dorado ring a bell? That was the title of the email I was sent with the information.

If you want to PM me your email I can forward it to you.

Old 01-31-2021, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Unfortunately I don't know, I went through quite a few areas and I'm not sure. Does El Dorado ring a bell? That was the title of the email I was sent with the information.

If you want to PM me your email I can forward it to you.
No, got it, no need. 2428 El Dorado Court, it has been on the market for 10 days, $140 monthly HOA. I just learned something with that neighborhood. That specific subdivision has no gate, and in my humble opinion, you have nothing to show for that $140 monthly HOA fee. There is a small clubhouse and pool, no gate, off of Buena Vida. That's a middling area, at best. I see that area in decline in the next 10-15 years as the city grows out from there.

Old 01-31-2021, 11:19 AM

Quote:
No, got it, no need. 2428 El Dorado Court, it has been on the market for 10 days, $140 monthly HOA. I just learned something with that neighborhood. That specific subdivision has no gate, and in my humble opinion, you have nothing to show for that $140 monthly HOA fee. There is a small clubhouse and pool, no gate, off of Buena Vida. That's a middling area, at best. I see that area in decline in the next 10-15 years as the city grows out from there.
Thanks!

What areas do you feel are best?

Currently I'm focused on the area east of 25 between 70 and Lohman. Is that a wise area to consider? Are there better alternatives when considering the future?

Old 01-31-2021, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Thanks!

What areas do you feel are best?

Currently I'm focused on the area east of 25 between 70 and Lohman. Is that a wise area to consider? Are there better alternatives when considering the future?
You are looking in the right area. The last vacant land parcels are currently being developed, as you know, off of Sonora Springs between Roadrunner and Sonoma Ranch. This area will keep its continuity.

Las Alturas, off of Tellbrook towards Remington and Superstition will retain its value. My favorite areas in the metro are Talavera, which continues to grow like crazy as well as Rasaaf Hills, which to me is the single best kept secret in Las Cruces. If you drive from Mesilla on Fairacres Road west towards the river and Bosque Park, the road bends from east to west to south to north, and heads towards Picacho Hills. The community to the left is Rasaaf Hills, and the community to the right is La Mancha estates. La Mancha is in the valley, Rasaaf is on the bluff just as river valley ends. That area is drop-dead gorgeous.

This quirky home recently went under agreement. I was showing it to buyers and they passed because they didn't like the floorplan. Here's the view: https://goo.gl/maps/eem5tXTHAUknz2GS7

Old 01-31-2021, 02:33 PM

Quote:
You are looking in the right area. The last vacant land parcels are currently being developed, as you know, off of Sonora Springs between Roadrunner and Sonoma Ranch. This area will keep its continuity.

Las Alturas, off of Tellbrook towards Remington and Superstition will retain its value. My favorite areas in the metro are Talavera, which continues to grow like crazy as well as Rasaaf Hills, which to me is the single best kept secret in Las Cruces. If you drive from Mesilla on Fairacres Road west towards the river and Bosque Park, the road bends from east to west to south to north, and heads towards Picacho Hills. The community to the left is Rasaaf Hills, and the community to the right is La Mancha estates. La Mancha is in the valley, Rasaaf is on the bluff just as river valley ends. That area is drop-dead gorgeous.

This quirky home recently went under agreement. I was showing it to buyers and they passed because they didn't like the floorplan. Here's the view: https://goo.gl/maps/eem5tXTHAUknz2GS7
That's a beautiful house, though looks out of our price range currently.

Thanks for the info!

Old 02-01-2021, 09:37 AM

Quote:
That's a beautiful house, though looks out of our price range currently.

Thanks for the info!
What's your range? I will start looking every day. I have to, these days, several times a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces