Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 05:41 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,725,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
Have they started on the new housing yet Calmeg ......as i know that Gov Richardson is pushing for that out in Santa Teresa .
Last time I checked an aerial view on Mapquest (or one of those), I saw that land clearing and road grading was underway just east of the Domenici highway. Don't know how old those pictures are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 06:27 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,621,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
Last time I checked an aerial view on Mapquest (or one of those), I saw that land clearing and road grading was underway just east of the Domenici highway. Don't know how old those pictures are.
Right on Domino !!

I remember when the Water authority there was fighting Dona Ana county and also the State of NM over who had the water rights and supposedly that had held up the project.

Old 02-01-2009, 03:11 AM

9 posts, read 25,589 times
Will be moving to Las Cruces in March. Been transferred to White Sands from Kuwait where I spent the last year. Been looking at a place just off of I-25 and 70. How good a neighborhood is that, anyone?

Old 02-01-2009, 09:17 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burmafrd View Post
Will be moving to Las Cruces in March. Been transferred to White Sands from Kuwait where I spent the last year. Been looking at a place just off of I-25 and 70. How good a neighborhood is that, anyone?
Welcome to Las Cruces!

After Kuwait, our summers will probably feel down-right cool
That area should be fine, and,I might add, very convenient to just about everything.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:17 PM

13 posts, read 34,082 times
Default Drunken Frenchman

I'm moving to L.C. When I saw your post for "neat, clean, and orderly" - I thought I'd warn you. I"m excited about moving here. I"ve visited 3 or 4 times - people are friendly, shopping avail, but ORDERLY it is not.
I SWEAR the street plan was laid out by a "drunken frenchman" - lest any one be offended - let me explain - there is a definite "hispanic flair" to the city (even many of the street signs have Spanish names), but NO American, NO Mexican, No Hispanic could have ever laid out a street "plan" like they have. I LOVE the French. French is my 2nd language - but I also know that French towns are frequently "circular" as opposed to being laid out on a grid pattern - which is fine. IT's FRance!! And, there's plenty of public transport, and most places are safe to walk.
But Las Cruces is in America. People drive cars. I don't know what their public transport system (if any) is like or how convenient it is to walk - but I can tell you , this is one American who got lost, and lost, and lost on each visit (with or without a map). By the time I was done driving - I was CONVINCED the city must have been designed by a "drunken Frenchman". LOL. If you want order - stick to the East Coast grid laid-out cities or go to Holland. Forget Las Cruces!! But hey - it's a nice place - just impossible to navigate...........

Old 05-05-2009, 08:00 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plantnut View Post
I'm moving to L.C. When I saw your post for "neat, clean, and orderly" - I thought I'd warn you. I"m excited about moving here. I"ve visited 3 or 4 times - people are friendly, shopping avail, but ORDERLY it is not.
I SWEAR the street plan was laid out by a "drunken frenchman" - lest any one be offended - let me explain - there is a definite "hispanic flair" to the city (even many of the street signs have Spanish names), but NO American, NO Mexican, No Hispanic could have ever laid out a street "plan" like they have. I LOVE the French. French is my 2nd language - but I also know that French towns are frequently "circular" as opposed to being laid out on a grid pattern - which is fine. IT's FRance!! And, there's plenty of public transport, and most places are safe to walk.
But Las Cruces is in America. People drive cars. I don't know what their public transport system (if any) is like or how convenient it is to walk - but I can tell you , this is one American who got lost, and lost, and lost on each visit (with or without a map). By the time I was done driving - I was CONVINCED the city must have been designed by a "drunken Frenchman". LOL. If you want order - stick to the East Coast grid laid-out cities or go to Holland. Forget Las Cruces!! But hey - it's a nice place - just impossible to navigate...........
Ever been to Brooklyn or Queens?
Laid out on a grid they are not

Old 05-05-2009, 08:58 AM

56 posts, read 161,787 times
Or Washington DC. In DC's case, a Frenchman did the design.....and it sucks!!!! Las Cruces is manageable but the neatest laid out city I've ever lived in is Tucson. The majority of the city is on perfect N, S, E, W grid.

Old 05-06-2009, 05:52 PM

13 posts, read 34,082 times
Default Caveat(s)!!

O.K. Tigerlily24 - You got me there! Nope. Ain't never been to Brooklyn or Queens......but I've seen movie clips...........uhhhhhhhh....I think you might be right!! THey did look a little convoluted......... P.S. I thought your mamma for obama was funny. I'm childfree (not by choice) and didn't vote for Obama. BUT, I concede -now that he's our Prez - I hope he works some "magic" for all of us. Good luck with the "mamma" job - and happy mother's day.

Geez Cheeser! How can you NOT like D.C.? O.k. so it WAS designed by a Frenchman - but it's such a cool city. (I'll admit I got lost in some pretty tough neighborhoods once - driving, of course, - but even then, I still thought it was a cool place). The "nice" parts - the cherry blossoms, all the embassies, the museums, and a great public transport system....Come on, what's not to like??? D.C. is a "pretty" city..........and at least it's rough parts have "character".

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh.........yes. Cheeser, Tucson - where I have to drive far too often 544 miles round trip - and YES, I do it in ONE $#%^*$% day!
All the time. Is the laid out on a very logical grid pattern. Except for two things - #1. they are reconstructing I-10 (what a mess - or at least it was....), #2. The intersections are sooooooooooooooo wide - that no matter what color the traffic light is - half of Tucson gets "stuck" in the middle of the intersection. LOL. Luckily, being Tucson, most Tucsonians, do NOT honk - and everyone somehow gets thru the intersection alive. Which reminds me - Boston - ever driven in downtown Boston? Upon leaving, I was convinced honking one's horn is their city pastime. They honk so often, and so impatiently, it actually begins to sound like one is in the middle of a concert!!

Old 05-06-2009, 09:16 PM

702 posts, read 2,295,630 times
I'm not understanding the complaints about the "French" street grid. Like someone else the city is more or less platted in a grid. That is, until you enter the wrath that is the East Mesa with all the new developments that have curvy, roundabout streets so they look just like California suburbs. But all the older areas are pretty much square.

Now if you want a complaint, it's sidewalks. Broken, crumbling, blocked with debris, hit a dead end, no ramps, etc. A nightmare for anyone with a baby stroller or in a wheelchair. I can name several locations where the sidewalk is obstructed with city-installed objects - fire hydrant, utility pole, traffic light box, etc. But hey, that's what makes Las Cruces LAS CRUCES. I still love it here.

Old 05-07-2009, 05:25 AM

56 posts, read 161,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnord View Post
Now if you want a complaint, it's sidewalks. Broken, crumbling, blocked with debris, hit a dead end, no ramps, etc. A nightmare for anyone with a baby stroller or in a wheelchair. I can name several locations where the sidewalk is obstructed with city-installed objects - fire hydrant, utility pole, traffic light box, etc. But hey, that's what makes Las Cruces LAS CRUCES. I still love it here.
Yeah, who needs fire hydrants, utilities, and traffic lights? Damn those things!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces