Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 07:43 AM
TKO TKO started this thread

4,153 posts, read 4,277,004 times

Advertisements

Two of my legendary and favorite skins players are making it into the hall of fame today! It's going to great! Though it's preseason, at this point my football withdrawals are so powerful that I'm going to enjoy the game on Sunday night.

Two reasons I would post this in city-data and the LC forum in particular.

A. I know Ibarrio* (and all the other local poke fans, of which there many) will read it and it'll bring back some memories of both Art Monk and Darrell Green burning the cowboys a time or two!

B. I'm just too pumped up not to.

Feel free to close it if you deem that inappropriate Mr. and Ms. Mod's.

*Note that I have one more exclamation point then does he. Must mean I'm a better fan! lol

Old 08-02-2008, 08:00 AM

18,213 posts, read 25,850,946 times
Hopefully this thread stays here. While not a big Redskin fan, Art Monk and Darrell Green are certainly deserving. Monk should have gone in years earlier based on career stats, and Darrell Green was a great db. Talk about longevity, still playing at a high level at age 40. I'm gonna be glued to the tube as well. Been going to Bronco games since 1962, and the Broncos Gary Zimmerman is going in. NFL is now here-YES!!!!!!!

Old 08-02-2008, 02:33 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,605,040 times
Yup...I hate the Redskins but I agree that Art Monk deserved to be in the hall a long time ago. Darrell Green is also deserving of his first time ballot entry. Just glad the guys are now in the hall and not suiting it up against my boys...

And yeah....I need my football fix badly...

Old 08-02-2008, 09:12 PM

That was great! I'm sorry for the boos that they gave your boys i. That wasn't the time for it IMO. Irvin seemed to take it as a badge of honor though, and I guess in a way it was. The standing O for Monk was outstanding. Made me proud.

Old 08-02-2008, 10:02 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,026,689 times
Can a Kansas City Chiefs fan post on this thread?

Old 08-02-2008, 10:35 PM

While I'm a Bronco fan, I give a big thumbs up for Emmit Thomas. He played 11 seasons with the Chiefs from '67 to '77. I think what has hurt Emmit was the fact that the other Chiefs(Buchanan, Bell, Dawson, coach Stram) went in so close together in the late '70's that he was considered an afterthought. It was good to see the vets entire enshrinement in droves and I believe that was no accident. With the exception og Green, the other inductees had been retired from football for at least 10 years. In Emmit's case, thirty years. And the speeches from all the players were great as well. It was a great way to kick off NFL '08!

Old 08-03-2008, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
Can a Kansas City Chiefs fan post on this thread?
Oh, hell yeah. You had a guy in there too, what did you want to say?

Old 08-03-2008, 10:20 AM

Towanda! Forgot a few more Chief HOF'ers. Otis Taylor, Jan Stenereud, and Lamar Hunt, the long time owner who passed away last year. I personally know Jim Turner, the long time Bronco placekicker. Turner had a radio show for many years and would have Stenereud on every year. One of the good guys in the NFL and the only kicker in the HOF. If it wasn't for Lamar Hunt, there would not have been an American Football League, it's as simple as that,

Old 08-03-2008, 10:35 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,026,689 times
It kind of makes me sad when I think back to all the HOFers we had in the past .... and how really anemic the team has been in the past ten years. Every year they tell us it is a building year - I am really so tired of hearing that. I think there are some management issues that need to be resolved and some forward-thinkers brought on board who really WILL plan for the future of the team.

I've been a Chiefs fan for too many years to give up on them - but while others look forward to the new season - I sit back and wonder just how bad things will be this year.

Old 08-03-2008, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
It kind of makes me sad when I think back to all the HOFers we had in the past .... and how really anemic the team has been in the past ten years. Every year they tell us it is a building year - I am really so tired of hearing that. I think there are some management issues that need to be resolved and some forward-thinkers brought on board who really WILL plan for the future of the team.

I've been a Chiefs fan for too many years to give up on them - but while others look forward to the new season - I sit back and wonder just how bad things will be this year.
I feel for you as most of the last 15 years have been like that for us too. Inducting Monk and Green was really the final act in the Redskin tradition I grew up with. Gibbs II was better than Norv or Spurrier but it still left something to be desired and was in no way reflective of the past glory that we had.

As for your Chiefs, I think Edwards is all mouth and no action, but I hold no animosity towards them and I remember too, the days when y'all could hold your heads high. Those were some outstanding teams and I always root for you guys to beat the Bronco's and Raider's. A true fan will never give up on their team no matter what - Good luck this year! I'll root for you when I can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces