Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 10:00 PM

702 posts, read 2,290,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymonkey View Post
eh, it's mostly a "crafts market" and less so a farmer's market.

But if you go, you gotta get some of the jellies from Kuhn Farm!
This is true, but the sights and sounds are still worth a regular visit.

Ashamedly, I've only gone about 3 times in the past year because I was kind of turned off by the "crafts market" sector when all I was after was garden fresh produce.

During the summer months you will find a much larger selection of farm vendors - during the winter it's brutally cold and limited to some carved wood sculptures, beaded necklaces, and patchwork teddy bears.

If you're coming from out of town, much more fun to visit from May-October.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 07:35 AM

180 posts, read 455,609 times
What is there is what our local economy and pocketbooks can bear. And what I am about to say is my personal observation.

There's lovely sewn items like towels, beautiful jewelry like you've never seen; the best prices on pure shea butter and soap...even Pine Tar soap, horsehair pottery locally made, breads, inscense, dog biscuits, winter greenhouse veggies, spices and herbs, food mixes,wooden made items, shelving, soy wax candles...so MANY gift items. And with this economy, staying local is the way to go.....no shipping or travelling out of town. That place is so wonderful to hang out in!! The ambiance is festive, friendly and safe!

I'm so sorry that many of a misconstrued vision of that market. If it were not for the crafters, the market would not have lasted these 38+ years. They've kept it during the "off-season" times. Many more people visit in wintertime than in summer due to the heat.

Maybe if one goes more often and really LOOK at all of what is there, you'll change your mind!

Last edited by AmberLynn; 10-09-2008 at 07:52 AM..

Old 10-09-2008, 12:07 PM

1,663 posts, read 3,686,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberLynn View Post
What is there is what our local economy and pocketbooks can bear. And what I am about to say is my personal observation.

There's lovely sewn items like towels, beautiful jewelry like you've never seen; the best prices on pure shea butter and soap...even Pine Tar soap, horsehair pottery locally made, breads, inscense, dog biscuits, winter greenhouse veggies, spices and herbs, food mixes,wooden made items, shelving, soy wax candles...so MANY gift items. And with this economy, staying local is the way to go.....no shipping or travelling out of town. That place is so wonderful to hang out in!! The ambiance is festive, friendly and safe!

I'm so sorry that many of a misconstrued vision of that market. If it were not for the crafters, the market would not have lasted these 38+ years. They've kept it during the "off-season" times. Many more people visit in wintertime than in summer due to the heat.

Maybe if one goes more often and really LOOK at all of what is there, you'll change your mind!
If you or anyone else likes the crafts, that's fine, that's up to you. But I don't 99% of the time, and I don't know why you think I should.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:21 PM

Default Public Meeting on Wed., Feb 4 for Farmer's Market

Not sure this has been published, but I saw a flyer going around the market last week that there will be a meeting at Club Fusion tomorrow night/Wed at 6 pm and the PUBLIC is invited.

I hear that there has not been enough public input and they welcome it. I'd love to see more public go out. I'm going! After all, WE are the ones who have to walk in the heat on black top in the middle of HOT, HOT summers! I have a friend who is a vendor in California and purposely does not go in the summer due to the heat on blacktop...even WITH her tent!

Let's have our voices heard!!

Old 02-05-2009, 07:46 AM

A few things happened:

they will have committees to help decide what to do w/shade;
the vendors will vote on extending the hours of the market (YAY!) to maybe 1 or 2 o'clock....GREAT for those who sleep in and miss it sometimes like me!)
their previously-scheduled "move" south is now undetermined pending the shade situation.

Old 02-05-2009, 04:23 PM

So, what does everyone think about the market shutting down later? Often times people who sleep late are just getting there. I hear them talk to the vendors there.

if you would like later hours, why not tell a vendor? They'd want to do what the majority of the shoppers want I'd think.

Any comments??

Old 02-05-2009, 04:41 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,705,861 times
I say keep the market open all day. If vendors want to shut down and leave early they can. Is there oposition to keeping it open later? The city should encourage the use of downtown.

p.s. I really, really dislike (i.e., HATE) the awning and would like to see them gone. Maybe the shade issue can be solved in an more asthetically pleasing way.

Old 02-05-2009, 06:51 PM

Yes, apparently those awnings are going, just like the north side did. But they are gathering a committee to help determine which is best while they move north (near the Rio Grande Theatre) temporarily...then what they need to do once they DO move back near COAS.

They said at the meeting that they will take a poll (of venders) to see if they want to extend the hrs. So, we as shoppers should tell our favorite vendors that we want them to stay. They'll had out a flyer and the vendors will vote next Sat. (Feb 14)

They also said that if vendors want to leave early, they can...but they cannot drive on until the market is officially "closed". So, some can remain. I think it looks like a ghost town once the market is done. I think COAS stays open longer.

Old 02-06-2009, 07:14 PM

702 posts, read 2,290,053 times
I think the Saturday market is too short and by ending at noon-ish I usually miss it. I'd definitely go more often if I knew I had all day.

Regarding the shade issue, why not construct more of the overhead trellises like they have across from Rio Grande Theater? With vines and plants growing along the trellis, it provides an ample amount of shade. I really hope they are able to work around or transplant the trees in the Downtown Mall, and not just tear them out permanently.

Old 02-06-2009, 07:58 PM

If you feel that way about the market being too short, and cannot get there, call the market mgr. 541 2288. Olivia. Give her your input, too!

Your opinion counts!

re: Shade. it needs to be DARK shade and not just filtered sunlight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces