Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2009, 12:34 PM

9,374 posts, read 20,787,825 times

Advertisements

Could this be the lowest price of gas in the country right now? It seemed like an optical illusion, when I drove by the Bradley gas station on El Paseo.

I guess since people were bashing Bush the last 3 years for the high prices, it's now time to give him some credit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 01:08 PM

1,399 posts, read 4,178,886 times
While it was like a deja vu moment seeing those low posted prices, this is a gas war/publicity thing for the new station on Valley. It will go away very soon, but it's fun while it lasts.
I, for one, didn't bash Bush for high gas prices, as there's plenty of other things to bash him about. He went to the Saudis and asked them to pretty please increase production in order to bring prices down and they told him "go away, little man, we like the prices where they are and there's plenty of supply in any case". This was true.
Despite the braying from the Repub/Rightwing pundits and radio talk people ("it's supply and demand...drill baby drill, etc.) there was no real shortage of crude or gasoline and the Saudis knew it. It was speculation...and, largely, not by shadowy figures pulling strings but by the oil companies and producers themselves to raise the tolerance level for prices at the pump and also to get more easily exploitable sources up for lease.
When energy prices rise again -and they certainly will- the American public will still think, as they do now, that 2.50 or 3 bucks a gallon is still cheap, because we've already been groomed to accept 4 bucks or more per gallon. The country will also tolerate more development of our oil supply by companies who will get sweet deals on leases and production. "Drill, baby, drill" is a corporate slogan, not energy policy.
While prices are as low as they are now, the US should slap fees on oil to raise the prices up to the point where people won't forget, as they did in the 70's, about conservation, which is a far more effective and much cheaper way to lower imported oil and keep supply high/prices low. You don't need 5 to 10 years of exploration and exploitation of oil resources to keep supply high...just use a few percentage points less nationally and the market will be flooded with oil, as it is right now.
Bush was never effective or independent enough to be able to do this. He's a born-and-bred oil company toady and takes his orders from those interests. I don't think that's exactly a secret.

Old 01-03-2009, 03:54 PM

206 posts, read 534,904 times
Oh God... will you please keep your politics to yourself...

Old 01-04-2009, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike b 1 View Post
Oh God... will you please keep your politics to yourself...
God?...I usually go by Tecpatl, but you can refer to me as the deity of your choice . Huitzilopochtli works fine, too....
In this case, "God" says:
I guess you didn't read the first post that brought up Bush, fuel prices and criticism of him, did ya? That's what I was responding to, and my post was a lot more on target, threadwise, than your little prayer.
And have a nice day....

Old 01-05-2009, 01:25 AM

1,663 posts, read 3,699,016 times
The new "Murphy USA" station had it for $1.13 a few days ago!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I guess since people were bashing Bush the last 3 years for the high prices, it's now time to give him some credit?
Well, when you consider that the crash in gas prices is due to the crash of the economy, I guess I could give him a little credit.

On another note, I remember when so many people blamed Bill Richardson for "high" gas prices of $1.30 or so when he was energy secretary. lol.

Old 01-07-2009, 10:25 AM

I see the price has moved up to 1.26 as of yesterday. Still gotta be one of the cheapest in the nation. That new station is still full of customers whenever I go by.

Old 02-07-2009, 07:24 PM

702 posts, read 2,295,084 times
The Murphy gas price is back in line with all the other gas stations in town. Another Walmart-style maneuver - offer a duplicate product for an obscenely low price to attract everyone, then keep it just a bit lower than the competition, enough to force most of them out of business, and TADA! The market will be theirs. Watch them buy out every gas station in town except Chevron and then jack up their prices because they can.

There was plenty of public commentary about this on the Sun News forum. I personally saw the ridiculous line-up of cars the night they were offering the $1.18 gas and just laughed. People here must live lazy lives if they can afford to sit in their idling cars for an hour just to save seven bucks or so, one time. Genius!

Old 02-09-2009, 05:10 AM

9 posts, read 25,582 times
Outside of some minor formula variations, there is no difference in gas whatever station or company you get it from.

The formula variations are requirements of various states and cities, and its a very stupid practice that drives up the price of gas. Since you cannot sell any gasoline with that particular formula anywhere else, it constricts distribution and takes any flexibility out of the system.
So if for example one area was for whatever reason using less, you cannot move the excess somewhere else that might be using more. AND this really hurt after Katrina since several of the refineries that had to shut down were making special mixes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces