U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 06:56 PM

7,646 posts, read 11,055,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
If that is your OUTDOOR pool, you must have one heck of a heater in it......your high yesterday was about 67, but your nights have still been in the 20s over the past week or so!
Yes, Cathy, it's heated! But the temp of that water was 78, about 11 degrees warmer than the air temp. It was perfect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 05:59 PM

701 posts, read 1,440,580 times
A question to the longtime residents: is this an unseasonably warm winter, or is this normal? This is only my 2nd winter here, and compared to last winter it's been so much warmer this year. Today I had all my doors and windows open to let the fresh air in - warmer outside than in my house! The cloud cover for the past 2 nights has really warmed things up and I haven't had to run my heater at all for the past 2 days. AWESOME.

Old 01-24-2009, 06:28 PM

13,861 posts, read 6,797,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnord View Post
A question to the longtime residents: is this an unseasonably warm winter, or is this normal? This is only my 2nd winter here, and compared to last winter it's been so much warmer this year. Today I had all my doors and windows open to let the fresh air in - warmer outside than in my house! The cloud cover for the past 2 nights has really warmed things up and I haven't had to run my heater at all for the past 2 days. AWESOME.
I was wondering the same thing Last winter was my first winter here too, and it seems like it was much colder this time last year. Maybe last winter was the anomaly?

Old 01-24-2009, 09:34 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,496,821 times
I think this has been an unusually warm winter, and I'm very happy about it.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:40 AM

7,646 posts, read 11,055,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
I was wondering the same thing Last winter was my first winter here too, and it seems like it was much colder this time last year. Maybe last winter was the anomaly?
My 5th winter here. This one's the warmest. I remember January 05 was like this as well, however, in February, it turned bad. It rained something like 20 out of 28 days, and being that it was my first winter here, I thought it was no big deal with the rain, being from New Jersey. Then the locals told me I brought the rain with me, they'd never seen so much in February.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:23 AM

93 posts, read 192,217 times
Ok, all of you. Enough! you are making me very depressed up here in Chicago. This is the worst winter I've seen up here in 10 years. In some parts there are over 2 ft of snow on the ground since around Christmas time and it won't be melting any time soon.
But....when our weather starts getting great up here (March-April), and you'll start getting all that wind and sand storms where you cannot even see the sky, I will come back and hope you are as cheery about that!

Old 07-10-2009, 07:23 AM

1 posts, read 1,615 times
Any advice to a guy in Canada: My wife wants to motor down to New Mexico this winter ( we live in British Columbia) but a friend has advised me not to go in January or February because of snow and high mountain passes . Is he correct? Any suggestions as to time of year to travel and routes to take? Do I enter from AZ?

-any advice gladly accepted

Old 07-10-2009, 09:28 AM

1,403 posts, read 2,496,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okvalleyguy View Post
Any advice to a guy in Canada: My wife wants to motor down to New Mexico this winter ( we live in British Columbia) but a friend has advised me not to go in January or February because of snow and high mountain passes . Is he correct? Any suggestions as to time of year to travel and routes to take? Do I enter from AZ?

-any advice gladly accepted
Highways in New Mexico can be closed for short periods of time due to snow, but I'd hardly consider that a reason not to come down in Jan and Feb. You can come in from AZ or Colorado, but I can't say which would be better for you.
There may be snow in the North, at highish altitudes, but in Las Cruces I didn't see one flake on the ground last winter. A few floating thru the air..but none on the ground.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:20 AM

13,049 posts, read 11,780,662 times
okvalleyguy! The only stretch in New Mexico where I have encountered tough winter driving conditions would be Interstate 25 from Raton to Wagon Mound. My experiences in winter driving in New Mexico is the concern for wind, especially in the southwest corner of the state, and also Interstate 40 around Gallup. But the snow can pile up if conditions are right.

As you live in British Columbia, it seems that it would be a better drive to get on Interstate 5 at the border and follow it all the way down to Bakersfield, California, then go southeast on the state highways where you can angle down to Interstate 10 around the San Bernadino area, and then take Interstate 10 all the way to New Mexico. That way you are avoiding the Los Angeles area.

I wouldn't recommend coming in from Wyoming and Colorado if you are concerned about snow in January. Storms in Wyoming can be nasty, not so much the amount of snow, but the wind that comes with it. Colorado is just the opposite, especially between Denver and Colorado Springs.

Old 07-14-2009, 05:11 PM

16 posts, read 23,135 times
It's hard to beat the weather in a place where palms and pines grow side by side.

Most of the snow seen here is conveniently applied exclusively to the beautiful Organ mtns. to our East.

Road-closing snow, ice and other nasties simply aren't allowed here. (altho' there was a 7" snowfall in parts of El Paso a year or so ago!!!)

One can grow some citrus here - but an occasional blanketing is needed during the coldest weather. OTOH, the temps can get well below 0 deg. F at times - just not that often!

The native plants - especially the cactus - seem to take it all in stride.

The weather here is rarely extreme, but when it DOES...watch out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces