Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 12:26 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonilee View Post
Thank you for taking the time out to post. I hear you about Manhattan...having lived there for 12 years, it's great (I guess) but it all depends on one's perspective and what one is looking for out of life (as you so clearly stated).

As I look back, there is something a bit insane about putting out nearly $2000 a month on a 350 sq foot apartment in Gramercy Park and all that comes along with it...no closets, really no kitchen (I think I may have cooked 1 or 2 meals there in 12 years)...water leaks all the time, cockroaches (of course), inadequate heat (I kept my little stove running ALL winter and I still froze), REALLY HUGE parking dilemmas (I owned a car for the entire 12 years), crazy neighbors (one neighbor constantly took the lightbulbs out of the lighting on the front stoop to "save energy"), etc etc.

You need LOTS and LOTS of money to live well in Manhattan...something I do not have at this time in my life...never did (thus the aforementioned apartment conditions-smile).

Anyhow, thanks so much for the input...can't wait to visit Las Cruces!
Wow, that sure brings back some memories. I spent a lot of time in that area - went to JHS 104 on 20th off 3rd Ave way back in the day. Did you at least get a key to the park?

Anyway, stay in touch and let us know how the search goes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 09:39 PM

702 posts, read 2,295,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
Las Cruces is what Tucson was 30 years ago (So I'm told).
I have said the same thing myself, but haven't heard anyone else say it. I used to live in Tucson, and currently live in LC.

Now when I go visit Tucson for the weekend, it's like going to the big city. I usually stock up at Trader Joe's and check out the 17th St Market - don't have anything like that in LC. Tucson has A LOT going on, but it takes an outsider to notice this as everyone I left behind in Tucson complains about how Tucson "sucks" <insert random complaint here> and compares it to yet bigger cities. Tucson also has more traffic, more pollution, and slightly higher cost of living than LC. The wages in LC are noticeably lower for the same type of work.

In LC, you sort of have to make your own fun; in Tucson, there's endless things to do, events, stores, shows, etc. LC has roughly "one" of everything: one mall (I've never been there, not a shopper), on Thai restaurant, one Indian restaurant, one movie theater, etc. At least 100 Mexican food places.

The entire east side of LC is rapidly becoming a corporate, suburban nightmare. All the big chain stores, rows and rows of identical taupe stucco houses, 4- or 6-lane thoroughfares. The inner core, and especially downtown, do not get a lot of attention and are much more affordable. The Alameda district just west of downtown has beautiful old homes with mature trees.

Someone had the bright idea to transport a saguaro cactus from the Sonoran Desert and plant it in the Downtown Mall. Maybe they thought it would make a good postcard snapshot. That thing looks sick and is sometimes propped up with rope and sticks - gets too cold here in winter.

Weather between Tucson and LC is very similar, but Tucson is warmer overall. I'd say 15-20 degrees warmer on average. Both cities enjoy sun and blue skies almost every day of the year. LC gets horrendous wind storms from March-June, and that's probably the worst time of the year. The wind is so strong I don't even go outside unless I have to. Tucson doesn't get wind like this.

You can garden year-round in both cities, especially if you set up a little greenhouse. Only the hardiest of winter plants will make it when it dips down into the 20s overnight. I'm growing a bunch of chard and spinach right now, and it's January.

You will find a much more varied mix of people in Tucson. Larger population, bigger university, much more "international" culture in the way of businesses and events. LC is much more Hispanic and is a bit poorer, especially in the outlying areas. Lots of trailer parks. On the other hand, there are a lot more homeless people in Tucson - you'll see them all over. It gets too cold in LC for homeless people to live on the street.

Old 01-07-2009, 09:52 AM

96 posts, read 314,452 times
Default ibarrio...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
1) God-given simplicity, natural beauty, peaceful and pleasant surroundings.

Yes, it is amazing to see the Organ Mountains rise out of the desert floor.

2) kind & warm NON-MATERIALISTIC people,

Yes, people in the area will give you the shirt off their back.

3) a nice home with a little land for my animals (dogs) to enjoy...my cat stays indoors,

I grew up on 5 acres on the East Mesa.

4) a place that embraces simple values, low-keyed living,

Yup.

5) GOOD HEALTH CARE

I would say decent but not great. For the major stuff you have to go to El Paso or Albuquerque.

6) warm weather

Yes. Gets a little cold in the winter but no where near Michigan cold.

7) eclectic living (different types of folks)

Yes, but not as much as Taos or Santa Fe.

8) some proximity to art, culture, theater, ethnic eats

Yes. Obviously not NY or LA.

What do you think??? Can you give me some comparisons between Las Cruces & Tucson (weather aside)?

In the good sense, Las Cruces is what Tucson was 30 years ago (So I'm told).
WOW~Thank you so very much for taking out the time to write a response with such great detail! Las Cruces DOES sound like a great place, especially regarding the people who live there...the people seem like they are so kind and appreciative.

The one factor about your post that has been on my mind is the availability of the healthcare. I have a few permanent medical problems, so healthcare is rather important to me. But the only way to really get a feel for a place is to VISIT, which I hope to be doing soon!

Thanks again for all the thoughtful replies!

Old 01-07-2009, 10:12 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,616,833 times
Tonilee.....there are 2 large state of the art medical centers in Las Cruces and several smaller rehab and mental wellness hospitals and if those are not enough there are around 8 major hospitals 45 minutes south in El Paso.

Major hospitals in Las Cruces.

Memorial Medical Center
Memorial Medical Center

Mountain View Medical Center
Home - MountainView Regional Medical Center

Rehabilitation Hospital of Southern NM.
Rehabilitation Hospital of Southern New Mexico

Oh yeah and WELCOME to almost always sunny and warm Southern New Mexico.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:35 AM

3 posts, read 11,313 times
We've lived in both, Tucson (9 years) and Las Cruces (LC, 5 years). Tucson is much better for Healthcare (University of Arizona sponsors some excellent gerontological research with great doctors, New Mexico State U is an agriculture and engineering school). There is a more diverse group of people in Tucson and lots of arts/theater/cultural events. Las Cruces is just getting started. The people in Las Cruces are nicer, it's smaller and easier to get around. The Mexican food is better in LC, but there really is no other type of food here (some Italian). Tucson has a good bus system, a wide variety of restaurants (Ethiopian, Middle Eastern, everything), lots of good doctors and hospitals. Most people in LC have to go to El Paso(1 hour away) or Albuquerque (3 hours away) for specialized medical care. LC is what Tucson was 15 years ago, a small, provincial, dusty, town. Oh, it doesn't get as hot in LC. There's about a 5-10 degree difference in the summer. When it's 118 in Tucson, it's about 105 here. LC is definitely NOT diverse in any way. There are Latinos (75%) and Caucasions (24%) and maybe a few international students and that's it. Tucson has a good mix of everyone, including the Lost Boys of Sudan. Tucson is very tolerant of diversity and open. I have not had the same experience in Las Cruces.
Good luck with your choice.

Last edited by ChikenJo; 01-27-2009 at 11:39 AM.. Reason: add something

Old 01-27-2009, 11:39 AM

3 posts, read 11,313 times
I would pick Tucson to live and visit NM. It's about a 3-4 hour drive South on I-10 then cut over through Safford up to Silver City. Then, you're in the Gila Wilderness. This is the most beautiful part of the country in my view. It's prettier than the Cascades in WA state. My grandparents were faced with the same choice when we moved to LC. They chose to stay in Tucson and didn't regret it.

Old 02-20-2010, 09:23 PM

3 posts, read 6,852 times
where exactly do you live? are you near a library, coffee shop, grocery?

bus stop? walkable?

we are looking into relocating to this area. spent a few days here and felt that it was a bit sprawling...CALI style. but love the weather and hiking/outdoors stuff.

thanks!

ruth in ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
I am a transplant from the NYC metro area also in my early 50s.

My feeling about Manhattan now is 'been there, done that.'
Of course Las Cruces doesn't offer all of the 'big-ticket amenities' that Manhattan does, but from my perspective, it certainly does meet most of your criteria. And, if you can't find something in Las Cruces, El Paso is only 45 minutes away - no different than traveling into Manhattan from the boroughs or 'burbs.

I've met many other transplants from the northeast who agree that moving here has been life-changing in a very positive way.

I don't know much about Tucson, my only impression came from driving through it on my way from Tempe, AZ to Las Cruces - but, from what I saw from the highway, it has much more of a 'city' feel to it than Las Cruces does. Our primary 'skyline' comes from the wonderful mountains - a view I never tire of seeing.

But, of course, you have to come visit and decide for yourself

Old 02-21-2010, 01:34 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rutheye View Post
where exactly do you live? are you near a library, coffee shop, grocery?

bus stop? walkable?

we are looking into relocating to this area. spent a few days here and felt that it was a bit sprawling...CALI style. but love the weather and hiking/outdoors stuff.

thanks!

ruth in ohio
I live on the east side of town in one of the older sub-divisions (my house is fifteen years old). I am pretty close to the supermarket (Albertson's), Target, Starbucks, PetCo, Marshall's, Ross, Home Depot, the mall and a bunch of restaurants (Village Inn, Red Lobster, Farley's...) It takes me about ten minutes to drive 'downtown ' to the library which is also close to the Art Museum, the Branigan Cultural Center, the Rio Grande Theater and the bi-weekly Farmer's Market.
There are bus stops, however, the bus routes leave a bit to be desired and people do walk here, but to get to any of those wonderful outdoor places, you really want to have a car.

Old 02-21-2010, 02:33 PM

99 posts, read 315,534 times
Tonilee,
My wife and I had a Belleville mailing address but lived closer to New Boston for 25 years! We moved to Silver City in 1992. However, we are retired and do not have the desire or need to live in a large city. We enjoy life here in New Mexico and all of the wonderful people. In our opinion it is less expensive here than in Arizona. Good luck in making your choice.

Old 02-21-2010, 03:06 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonilee View Post
Hi everyone~I have read the Forums on City Data for many years but have never posted 'til recently when I posted on the Tucson AZ forum. I appreciate responses of all kind and I am looking forward to all of your great input and advice!

This is what I recently posted on the Tucson forum, where I have received some great replies (and I've "met" some great people):

Here's the thing...my husband and I have been in Michigan now 3 years (work related-his) and I cannot wait to leave. I am miserable in every way, especially weather-wise. Too much snow, too much freezing cold...tired of it all.

We are beginning to explore reasonable alternatives for semi-retirement in a few years and I am stuck on a couple of issues. I'm hoping you all can shed some light on my dilemma.

My husband and I, although in our early 50's (he 54, me 51) are not the type of people who I think will do well in a 50's+ retirement community. We are very independent, kinda forward thinking (in some ways-smile), always been into alternative music, alternative film, art, theater, multi-ethnic food (tho' we're not food snobs), travel, being around all types of people, etc, etc, etc...you get the picture.

I lived in Manhattan for 12 years 'til moving to Michigan and I never thought I would leave Manhattan. My husband is born & raised in New Jersey but we've both lived in a few different places. We are in NO WAY what I would consider to be uptight, elite Northeasterners (no offense intended again to anyone). I'm not looking to duplicate Manhattan-smile but here are my questions:

I know it's been asked a million times but weather aside, do you think we'd fair better in Tucson or Albuquerque???

We've owned a timeshare in Santa Fe for 10 yrs 'cause we loved NM so much when we first visited there in 1999. We have NOT spent much time in Albuquerque (we will be traveling there later in the year). Me, I'm partial to Tucson, tho' I've not been to Tucson in many years. In all due respect to those that love the place, Santa Fe is WAY TOOOOO PRETENTIOUS for me but my husband likes NM a lot...he'll be visiting SoCal and Tucson for the first time with me in May '09...I've been to both areas several times;

So, In my responses, someone sent me a private message and said, "Why don't you consider Las Cruces New Mexico?"

I've been reading about Las Cruces over the past few days and it seems like it might be a perfect choice for John (my husband) & I.

In a nutshell, this is the short-list of what John & I are looking forward to in early retirement:

1) God-given simplicity, natural beauty, peaceful and pleasant surroundings,

2) kind & warm NON-MATERIALISTIC people,

3) a nice home with a little land for my animals (dogs) to enjoy...my cat stays indoors,

4) a place that embraces simple values, low-keyed living,

5) GOOD HEALTH CARE

6) warm weather

7) eclectic living (different types of folks)

8) some proximity to art, culture, theater, ethnic eats

What do you think??? Can you give me some comparisons between Las Cruces & Tucson (weather aside)?

Thanks again in advance to all who reply!

Toni Lee
Tucson gets very hot and it doesn't have much of a winter, you can grow citrus trees there. Las Cruces is mild weather and has a bit of a winter, enough that you can grow apple trees which need about 28 nights of freezing for the required dormancy.

There could almost be no way that it would be difficult adjusting from SE Michigan to Las Cruces. In fact the low humidity of NM makes the summers very easy to take.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces