Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 04:47 PM

1,399 posts, read 4,179,564 times

Advertisements

Oh, I know I shouldn't let the SunSpews get to me, and, God knows, there are worse things in this world, but their restaurant "reviews" can really get my shorts in a bunch.
I'm sure the eager but ininformed writer meant well, and understand that this review thing is a bone they throw to potential advertisers, but it masquerades as an actual review and opinion about something, and in a newspaper that should mean something.
I mean, they don't hire illiterates to write about books and the Branigan goings-on, they don't hire nitwits (usually) to write editorials and columns, why can't they have someone write about food who actually knows something about it?
It's hard enough for good places to open and survive. A little authoritative recognition could work wonders in improving the often disappointing restaurant offerings hereabouts, and potential patrons would consider this a good thing as well.
I posted the below on [domain blocked due to spam], but thought it really belonged here. Read the review first.

Grub: Reincarnation of good Chinese - Las Cruces Sun-News

oh man.....I thought it was a good laugh when the Sun News had a VEGAN who couldn't eat anything on the menu --she had to have them make something special for her-- review a restaurant (Marc's European Grill), and I was mystified by a review of Zafiros/Popular Bread Bakery where the reviewer had facts wrong and obviously didn't know sourdough from his chair-polisher, but now......a reviewer leads off by stating that she really doesn't KNOW ANYTHING about Chinese food, then proceeds to review the food and the restaurant.
What do they do down there...see who didn't PACK A LUNCH that day and make them do a restaurant review???!
Why waste the ink, and the readers time, by pretending there is anything to be learned (except the all-important lucky numbers on the reviewer's fortune cookie) by reading this fu-yung?
IF there was one person at the paper, or a freelancer or two, who actually KNEW something about food it would be a service to readers, restaurant goers and the restaurants themselves if reviews/reports were published. Good places (and there are so few) would benefit from greater exposure and all restaurants would be encouraged to produce better products.
But nooooooo..... we get "everything looked like it would taste good if I could eat it" and "I don't know anything about Asian food but we liked what we had and I'll be back"
What contempt the SunNews has for it's readers and for the restaurants that are actually working hard to do good things. Just a little intelligent recognition would benefit them greatly.
Pathetic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 09:44 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,724,485 times
Anyone who order sweet and sour anything is totally unqualified to offer an opinion on the quality of any Chinese food. Pathetic!

Old 03-13-2009, 10:28 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,026,289 times
Okay tecpatl -- awesome post ... with rep points for you!

Loved this:

Quote:
What do they do down there...see who didn't PACK A LUNCH that day and make them do a restaurant review???!
LOL

Old 03-13-2009, 10:54 PM

261 posts, read 936,093 times
All of the Media News papers in New Mexico are reported to have told the employees to take a week off without pay this month in order to cut costs. Maybe they're rotating folks through the restaurants and pretending it's part of their compensation package.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:32 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,793,722 times
I can't take that paper seriously, yet alone read it, Tecaptl. I just can't. My wife bought the Sunday paper yesterday, and the cost was 1.50. That same money would have been better spent buying marigold seeds to feed the birds with. The staff writers there would be on the high school level in terms of substance and depth, back where I used to live in New Jersey.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:44 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,702,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I can't take that paper seriously, yet alone read it, Tecaptl. I just can't. My wife bought the Sunday paper yesterday, and the cost was 1.50. That same money would have been better spent buying marigold seeds to feed the birds with. The staff writers there would be on the high school level in terms of substance and depth, back where I used to live in New Jersey.
I would say shame on all or you and me too, but i agree. The worst paper we have ever had was the Albuquerque Jounel, and I bet yours is as bad...Plus, let me add, I have rarely, if ever, found food editors and reviewers to know what they are talking about..Of course food is subjective..

Nita

Old 03-16-2009, 01:30 PM

137 posts, read 474,628 times
Too funny, but so true. In January, I took my hubby to Aqua Reef for his B-Day since it was SOOO highly recommended in our local paper (I am sure it was "the best" or "one of the best" local places for Asian food). Now I know--the LC Sun is the last place one should look for an honest review. I was so disappointed in our food and felt worse for my hubby.
I have to agree that if your palate is beyond local food, you will just be disappointed. Stick to New Mexican and you will be happy. Never again will I believe those reviews!!!!
BUT I would give anything for some great sushi, pad thai, soba, dumplings!!!

Old 03-16-2009, 03:09 PM

1,399 posts, read 4,179,564 times
briendiej,
Give Asian Mix a try. Good sushi my last two times there, and lots of other goodies as well. Not cheap, but worth the price if it's good.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:20 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,697,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendiej View Post
Too funny, but so true. In January, I took my hubby to Aqua Reef for his B-Day since it was SOOO highly recommended in our local paper (I am sure it was "the best" or "one of the best" local places for Asian food). Now I know--the LC Sun is the last place one should look for an honest review. I was so disappointed in our food and felt worse for my hubby.
I have to agree that if your palate is beyond local food, you will just be disappointed. Stick to New Mexican and you will be happy. Never again will I believe those reviews!!!!
BUT I would give anything for some great sushi, pad thai, soba, dumplings!!!
I have to say that I have always been very satisfied with the food at Aqua Reef. The sushi is equal or better quality than what I used to get in New York/New Jersey and I think the chicken teriyaki roll is brilliant.

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience.

As for the reviews - great entertainment value, that's about it To have someone actually admit that they couldn't eat the food they were supposed to be reviewing...well, what is there to say, really?

Old 03-16-2009, 05:09 PM

702 posts, read 2,295,385 times
Tecpatl, I know who you are over at the [domain blocked due to spam] forums - there's a few others who post both there and here about stories in the Slum News. The paper is entertaining, to say the least, and I agree with you about the pathetic attempts at restaurant reviews. Don't even get me started about all the typos and grammatical errors in the newspaper.

I went to China Temple recently and left my review on the [domain blocked due to spam] forum. My experience was less than stellar and I see no reason to ever go back, as much as I try to support local businesses. I would have been better off going to Toucan Market and spending $15 on some specialty items, putting some Asian style music on the record player, and making my own dinner. It would have been more "authentic."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces