U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-16-2009, 10:01 AM

2 posts, read 2,629 times

Advertisements

Greetings All!

I've been lurking through the posts for a few days now, so finally decided to register and put in my two cents. My partner and I relocated to beautiful Las Cruces earlier this year. We had searched for property in Albuquerque (somewhat congested) and Santa Fe (very pricey), before driving down to LC one day. It is absolutely gorgeous here. The weather is, or has been, warm during the day, cool at night. The most important difference for us has been the people. In our first week we had been invited to wine-cheese gatherings, had fresh baked goods brought to our door, had telephone directories with recommended doctors, grocers, health food stores, cleaners, gyms highlighted, and been offered assistance in unpacking and even storing extra items. We knew more of our neighbors in our first seven days here than we did in seven years in Fort Worth. All in all we are very happy and very pleased with our decision to move to Las Cruces, New Mexico!

JD

PS Can anyone tell me how to post pictures, or do you have to have a link to an existing website?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 10:17 AM

3,695 posts, read 6,412,392 times
It's easiest to upload to a site like Flickr or Photobucket. Then post the "IMG code" here on CD.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:23 AM

1,066 posts, read 1,939,986 times
So glad you are enjoying NM.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:05 AM

17,475 posts, read 18,567,856 times
JD,

Thanks for the report. And welcome. It's nice to hear the positive aspects. New Mexico is not for everyone, but looks like you are on your way to enjoying it.

There are a few ways of posting pictures, and there is an album section in your profile. I use a seperate service flickr.com, This thread should help:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/8...ing-posts.html

Rich

Old 04-16-2009, 07:47 PM

2,192 posts, read 3,410,939 times
Thanks for posting, JD.

We will arrive in LC tomorrow evening for the weekend, and I am very excited to see it first-hand.

Old 04-17-2009, 08:06 AM

2 posts, read 2,629 times
Thanks for the replies, welcomes and especially for the "how to post photos" suggestions. We are at the foothills of the Organ Mountains and the sunrises have been spectacular. I wanted to share a few in the future.

Hope everyone has a great weekend. JD

Old 04-17-2009, 06:47 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,564,615 times
Welcome to LC and the Mesilla Valley, RoadrunnerJD! I'll be very interested in your thoughts and experiences as a brand new resident. And your photos, too!

Old 04-18-2009, 12:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,238 times
Hi!
My husband and I are flying out to LC next week for a 3rd interview with a company there. We live in Toledo, OH now and have 3 children. I am nervous about a move way out west. I am used to change of seasons, green trees, grass, flowers. The homes are very different in in LC than in Toledo.

Does everything appear to be "Brown" there? When I look at pictures on the internet, LC, NM looks brown w/o green trees and grass.

I am glad to read people are friendly!!

Are there cycling trails there? I like to ride my bike, normally ride distance (20-30 miles at a time).

If you have children, have you had any luck in finding good schools for them? We are wondering if we will need to enroll them into private schools.

Are there many hospitals in the area? I am a registered nurse. I am wondering if I'll have to learn spanish in order to do my job!

Old 04-18-2009, 06:54 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,564,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMG View Post
Hi!
My husband and I are flying out to LC next week for a 3rd interview with a company there. We live in Toledo, OH now and have 3 children. I am nervous about a move way out west. I am used to change of seasons, green trees, grass, flowers. The homes are very different in in LC than in Toledo.

Does everything appear to be "Brown" there? When I look at pictures on the internet, LC, NM looks brown w/o green trees and grass.

I am glad to read people are friendly!!

Are there cycling trails there? I like to ride my bike, normally ride distance (20-30 miles at a time).

If you have children, have you had any luck in finding good schools for them? We are wondering if we will need to enroll them into private schools.

Are there many hospitals in the area? I am a registered nurse. I am wondering if I'll have to learn spanish in order to do my job!
I'm a Midwesterner (Michigander) too, Lisa. The Chihuahua desert IS a lot different than fields, forests and lakes of Ohio and MI, but has it's own charm and striking, if sometimes stark, beauty.
This is an arid climate, not the kind of rain you're used to, so it definitely is different. Since last December I've turned my windshield wipers on 3 times due to rainfall, and never for more than a few minutes. Not a flake of snow stuck to the ground, though I did see light snow twice. You'll see rain in the summer.
There IS a change in seasons here, and right now we're into big time Spring. The trees are leafing out, grass is sprouting, iris's are in full bloom, cacti are beginning to bloom (yes, they have beautiful flowers), the creosote bush that covers a lot of the Chihuahuan desert is greening up with new shoots, so for as dry as it is the desert is getting very green now.
You should be able to find nursing work fairly easily, either in LC or in El Paso. I think some Spanish would serve you well, and there are a number of ways to learn. Classes are the best way to start, and I've had a few people tell me a private language school called ACA is very good. .companyqa-button {display:none;}
Aca Spanish For Your World Llc

2726 Custer Way, Las Cruces, NM 88011-9071
Contact Phone575) 521-0003
Bill Gregaliunas, owner

Don't have kids, so I can't help with schools, but don't be surprised if your kids are further advanced than their New Mexico classmates. Just an opinion.
There are lots of outdoor recreational opportunities here.
If you need a home similar to Ohio, look for housing in an older, quality neighborhood like Mesilla Park. Lots of big trees, etc.
Above all, relax. This is different, but a great place. Enjoy!

You can google the LC Chamber of Commerce, CVB and other sites to get info. There is a lot on CD as well. Look at the New Mexico and Las Cruces pics for starters, and search other threads about newcomers, etc.

Old 04-18-2009, 06:56 PM

2,192 posts, read 3,410,939 times
We are here right now on a visit from MA, and we have kids, so maybe I can answer a few questions from the view of an outsider (DISCLAIMER -- this is based on one whole day here!)

There is some green. We drove through Sonoma Hills and saw green leaves on some trees, and some grass. Mesilla has more green than LC, being in the valley. Cycling is big, I guess, here, according to our tour guide. There are lots of places to hike or mountain bike, and street cycling is big, too.

There are 2 regular hospitals in LC. Mountain View, which is where my husband is interviewing, and Memorial Medical, which is larger, and is the county hospital. DH thinks he could get by with little Spanish to do his job (ED doc) but we'd all want to learn it anyway.

It looks like some of the LC schools are decent, and others not so much. Like anywhere, it depends on where you live. There are a couple of private religious schools, and that seems to be it for private, though I've read a new school is opening this year, a secular school for gifted and talented kids.

Hope that helps, and I am sure people who live here and actually know something about it will give you better info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces